ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs’ Quinn has rib injury; Crennel says Stanzi is ‘possibility’ for Sunday (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267791)

Tribal Warfare 12-18-2012 02:59 AM

Chiefs’ Quinn has rib injury; Crennel says Stanzi is ‘possibility’ for Sunday

Chiefs’ Quinn has rib injury; Crennel says Stanzi is ‘possibility’ for Sunday
By SAM McDOWELL
The Kansas City Star
A physical Oakland Raiders defense took its toll on the Chiefs on Sunday for the second time this season.

Once again, quarterback Brady Quinn was one of the victims.

Chiefs coach Romeo Crennel revealed Monday that Quinn emerged from the 15-0 loss in Oakland with an injury to his ribs, leaving his status for Sunday’s home finale against Indianapolis in doubt — and leaving the Chiefs’ quarterback situation familiarly muddled.

“He stood in there pretty tough and took a beating basically,” Crennel said.

Crennel said Quinn’s injury would be reevaluated Tuesday, but whether he gets the call under center won’t necessarily depend exclusively on his health. Asked who would start Sunday if Quinn is healthy, Crennel was noncommittal.

He was similarly vague when presented with the hypothetical of Quinn’s absence, allowing for the possibility that Ricky Stanzi could be in line to make his NFL regular-season debut against the Colts.

“There’s a possibility,” Crennel said of Stanzi playing Sunday. “Like I said last week, there’s a possibility, and I mentioned injuries as one of the reasons. We’ll see what Brady looks like, and then we’ll make some decisions and go from there.”

The severity of Quinn’s injury is unknown, though he was able to finish Sunday’s game in Oakland, completing 18 of 32 passes for 136 yards, only 4.3 yards per attempt.

He was sacked four times and forced out of the pocket numerous others while the Raiders’ defensive line physically dominated the Chiefs’ offensive line.

“Everything,” offensive lineman Eric Winston responded Monday when asked what went wrong offensively. “You can’t point the finger at one guy. We didn’t open up (running lanes) at all. We didn’t (pass) protect at all.”

That left Quinn forced to hurry several throws. He was hit particularly hard on a fourth-down incomplete pass to Jon Baldwin with more than nine minutes left.

Quinn’s rib injury comes seven weeks after he departed a 26-16 home loss against the Raiders because of a concussion — a game in which he attempted to continue playing before players and coaches spotted his symptoms. He missed the following two games, in San Diego and Pittsburgh, and Matt Cassel started in his place.

With Quinn under center, the Chiefs have accumulated seven straight scoreless quarters since Jamaal Charles’ 80-yard touchdown run on the first play of a 30-7 loss to Cleveland a week ago.

The Raiders have presented a particularly bad matchup for the Chiefs this season. After entering Sunday allowing a league-high 31 points per game, they shut out the Chiefs, holding them to 119 total yards.

“They haven’t exactly lit the world on fire,” Winston said, “but for whatever reason, we haven’t fared too well against them.”

Whoever lines up under center Sunday against the Colts will require an improved performance from a receiving corps that left much to be desired against the Raiders. After Dexter McCluster, who caught seven passes, the remaining Chiefs wideouts — Devon Wylie, Jamar Newsome and Baldwin — combined for two catches on 10 targets.

“(Separation) seems to be the problem with all of our receivers — against the Raiders anyway,” Crennel said.

AussieChiefsFan 12-18-2012 03:02 AM

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/a...t-bale-nod.gif

KCrockaholic 12-18-2012 03:04 AM

Do IT! We can't let Indy be a trap game. Must lose! Not that Quinn doesn't give a worse chance.

NJChiefsFan 12-18-2012 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCrockaholic (Post 9220262)
Do IT! We can't let Indy be a trap game. Must lose! Not that Quinn doesn't give a worse chance.

Yeah I worry about the unknown. I am not saying Stanzi will turn anything around but we know for a fact that Quinn won't.

AussieChiefsFan 12-18-2012 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 9220266)
Yeah I worry about the unknown. I am not saying Stanzi will turn anything around but we know for a fact that Quinn won't.

Not a good situation for him. He either wins and makes the fans angry at him for screwing them outta the #1 pick, or he losses and damages his league image, not that he has one, but I assume he'd want to start somewhere one day.

KCrockaholic 12-18-2012 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan (Post 9220269)
Not a good situation for him. He either wins and makes the fans angry at him for screwing them outta the #1 pick, or he losses and damages his league image, not that he has one, but I assume he'd want to start somewhere one day.

Or it turns out ok for him, he has a decent game, and we still lose, because we aren't beating Andrew Luck, and everybody's happy.

AussieChiefsFan 12-18-2012 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCrockaholic (Post 9220270)
Or it turns out ok for him, he has a decent game, and we still lose, because we aren't beating Andrew Luck, and everybody's happy.

Yea the perfect situation is he runs for 200+ yrds per game from now but we still lose out.

Hammock Parties 12-18-2012 04:00 AM

Stanzi is sure to go 0-2, but also perhaps could make a few plays and give himself a shot to remain on the roster next year. Start him.

007 12-18-2012 04:25 AM

shit

mdchiefsfan 12-18-2012 04:26 AM

Print em!

Marcellus 12-18-2012 04:55 AM

I think he should play Stanzi to cap of the QB shitfest that has been the last few years. (4 years actually)

2011 - Cassel, Palko, Orton

2012 - Cassel, Quinn, Stanzi

= 2013 Complete house cleaning

ChiefMojo 12-18-2012 05:59 AM

I'll be damned! They may actually go with Stanzi and NOT go back to Cassel? Pioli must really not be in power. :P

InChiefsHeaven 12-18-2012 06:05 AM

Wow. No mention of Cassel in the article at all. How far we have come...

sodcat 12-18-2012 06:44 AM

Wow! Poor Stanzi. I wonder who the 4th string qb is and next in line for a beatdown with our o-line!

DaKCMan AP 12-18-2012 06:49 AM

I'm officially worried. Fantasy football championship is this weekend and my opponent has Indy's defense on his team.

:cuss: