ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics The Amazing IOS6 Maps (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=264052)

ZepSinger 09-21-2012 06:42 PM

The Amazing IOS6 Maps

The Amazing ios6 Maps

LMAOLMAOLMAOLMAOLMAOLMAOLMAOLMAO

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma...twbo1_1280.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma...twbo1_1280.jpg

Absolutely amazing. Said no one ever.

Caseyguyrr 09-22-2012 10:31 PM

that 3d imaging is badass bro

BigMeatballDave 09-23-2012 01:53 AM

LOL

Gravedigger 09-23-2012 04:08 AM

Yes I'm sure all the many citizens of Bogota, Colombia are distraught that their IOS 6 map app didn't work right. It's a technology hotspot. Personally mine have been spot on.

BryanBusby 09-23-2012 05:02 AM

I'm looking forward to 5 pages of Apple white knighting.

Swords out Shields up, defend your hipster shit at all costs.

Saul Good 09-23-2012 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger (Post 8937064)
Yes I'm sure all the many citizens of Bogota, Colombia are distraught that their IOS 6 map app didn't work right. It's a technology hotspot. Personally mine have been spot on.

Only 7,000,000 people live in that little burg.

JD10367 09-23-2012 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 8937074)
I'm looking forward to 5 pages of Apple white knighting.

Swords out Shields up, defend your hipster shit at all costs.

No worse than the Apple-haters who find any opportunity to slam the company over things that are picayune or aren't their fault. "OMGLOLZ, Apple's maps are teh suck!!!11! OMG, you can't unplug chips from their muthaboard!!!!1" Really, it's ****ing tiring. You people are as bad as "too fat /omaha" when it comes to your obvious hatred of Apple. Yes, there are fanatics. They're a small portion of an already-small community. But it's undeniable that Apple does one thing and they do it well: they make things that are intuitively easy to use, simple in design, and groundbreaking in the combination of both. From the original Mac to the original iPod to the iPhone to the iPad, they've been at the forefront of the electronics community for 40 years. Yes, they overcharge. Yes, they're ridiculously proprietary. I used Macs back in the 80s and 90s but by the late 90s I switched to PCs just because I got tired of Apple's prices and incompatibilities. I don't have an iPhone, but I have an iPod Touch so I can appreciate why people love the iPhone. I don't have an iPad but I can appreciate why people like them. Give the company a break. They made the personal computer, the portable MP3 player, the smartphone, and the tablet computer all irreplaceable parts of the modern world. So they're new map app makes a runway in East Bum**** Mongolia look wobbly. Big. ****ing. Deal.

/WhiteKnight :D

Gravedigger 09-23-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Badguy (Post 8937145)

Of which I'm sure tons of them have Apple devices that utilize maps.

AustinChief 09-23-2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger (Post 8938394)
Of which I'm sure tons of them have Apple devices that utilize maps.

Must be the same thing for New York City, right? I mean who in NY cares about getting the right address.

http://allthingsd.com/files/2012/09/...pple_maps.jpeg

BigRedChief 09-23-2012 04:03 PM

I ****ing hate that map. Shouldnt have upgraded my OS.

Pablo 09-23-2012 04:17 PM

LMAO

Seriously?

Pablo 09-23-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Badguy (Post 8937145)

To be fair that's not much bigger than Lenexa.

jd1020 09-23-2012 04:23 PM

Looks like a fun runway.

qabbaan 09-23-2012 04:46 PM

You can just turn 3D view off and use it as you always have

AustinChief 09-23-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qabbaan (Post 8942776)
You can just turn 3D view off and use it as you always have

Unless you want transit info.. or reliably accurate addresses... the entire system is buggy as hell. Yes, it will probably work just fine 90% of the time for 90% of the people... but isn't the whole Apple "thing" supposed to be that it's ok for them to be behind everyone else on tech because their stuff "just works" ?

qabbaan 09-23-2012 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8942886)
Unless you want transit info.. or reliably accurate addresses... the entire system is buggy as hell. Yes, it will probably work just fine 90% of the time for 90% of the people... but isn't the whole Apple "thing" supposed to be that it's ok for them to be behind everyone else on tech because their stuff "just works" ?

Eh. It's only a couple of days live. I'm sure they will fix it in short order. Google's maps weren't so great either a lot of the time.

DaFace 09-23-2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qabbaan (Post 8943180)
Eh. It's only a couple of days live. I'm sure they will fix it in short order. Google's maps weren't so great either a lot of the time.

I think you underestimate the amount of effort it takes to fix these kinds of problems. I have no doubt that they'll fix them, but it'll be measured in years, not months.

tk13 09-23-2012 06:31 PM

http://venturebeat.com/2012/09/23/ap...ite-some-time/

The guy who used to be Rand McNally's chief cartographer weighed in on it. He agreed, it could take years to fix.

DaFace 09-23-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 8943485)
http://venturebeat.com/2012/09/23/ap...ite-some-time/

The guy who used to be Rand McNally's chief cartographer weighed in on it. He agreed, it could take years to fix.

Interesting article. This was the big thing I wondered about:

Quote:

A lot of that data that Apple needs, Dobson says, must be supplied by humans. And part of that should be via crowd-sourcing techniques, he says. However, Apple doesn’t have a good source for this yet, says Dobson, who now runs a consulting service called Telemapics, also the name of his blog.
Google has processes in place for random Joe's to get into the maps system and make changes. (They have to be approved, of course.) Because of this system, they're able to keep their maps pretty well up to date, even in international areas where there previously wasn't much good data.

Not only does Apple not have such a system, it goes completely against the Fort Knox of control that Apple always relies on. I'll be curious to see if they eventually are forced to open this one area up a bit to consumers or if they'll try and find some way to do it themselves.

WoodDraw 09-23-2012 07:23 PM

I was going to post something about that earlier. Google has benefited from a huge user base from the web, Android, Apple, etc. Apple will only have the iOS installed base. I'm sure they'll bring it outside mobile soon, but will it be web based or a Mac App?

It'll take a long time to match the details of Google though.

ZepSinger 09-23-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8943509)
Not only does Apple not have such a system, it goes completely against the Fort Knox of control that Apple always relies on. I'll be curious to see if they eventually are forced to open this one area up a bit to consumers or if they'll try and find some way to do it themselves.

YOU THERE! Back in line!
http://www.delsquacho.com/blog/wp-co...ple-fanboy.jpg

BigRedChief 09-23-2012 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8943509)
Interesting article. This was the big thing I wondered about:

Google has processes in place for random Joe's to get into the maps system and make changes. (They have to be approved, of course.) Because of this system, they're able to keep their maps pretty well up to date, even in international areas where there previously wasn't much good data.

I've already got the Google maps web workaround on my phone.

-King- 09-28-2012 09:18 AM

Apple CEO Tim Cook Apologizes for New Maps Glitches

By JOANNA STERN (@joannastern)
Sept. 28, 2012

It has been no secret: Apple's new maps app included with the iPhone 5 and iOS 6 launched last week with a lot of glitches, including misplaced points of interest and jumbled renderings of important locations.

Today Apple has addressed the issue head on with an apology letter from CEO Tim Cook. The letter, which appears on the Apple website, admits the direct problems with the service.

"At Apple, we strive to make world-class products that deliver the best experience possible to our customers," Cook wrote. "With the launch of our new Maps last week, we fell short on this commitment. We are extremely sorry for the frustration this has caused our customers and we are doing everything we can to make Maps better."

Cook also reiterated what Apple said last week -- that the Maps will get better over time as more people use the service.

He also alerted users to the fact that there are other options in the App Store, including Bing, MapQuest, and Google's Maps available through the browser.

Apple had used Google's Maps since the launch of the iPhone, but with iOS 6 and the iPhone 5, both released last week, it moved to its own solution which it has been building for quite some time. According to reports, Google and Apple still had another year to their agreement, but Apple wanted to create its own solution. Google has not released a standalone app for the iPhone or iPad, though The New York Times reports that it will be out before the end of the year.

Still, it remains clear that Apple is planning to invest big into mapping and fixing the problems.

"Everything we do at Apple is aimed at making our products the best in the world," Cook concluded. "We know that you expect that from us, and we will keep working non-stop until Maps lives up to the same incredibly high standard."

DaFace 09-28-2012 09:33 AM

Well, props to them for owning it. That's better than I can say about the NFL.

Amnorix 09-28-2012 09:38 AM

Note to self -- never fly into Jonkoping Airport, wherever the hell that is...

Chazno 09-28-2012 11:40 AM

Its kind of funny now that the world is more mobile oriented, everybody hates Apple more than Microsoft. or maybe they are just that used to hating Microsoft.

Otter 10-05-2012 10:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Heh

DaFace 12-09-2012 08:21 PM

Beware.

http://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/more...ng-system.html

Quote:

Police concerned with Apple iOS 6 mapping system
Monday, 10 December 2012 11:30

Mildura Police are urging motorists to be careful when relying on the mapping system on the Apple i-phones operating on the iOS 6 system after a number of motorists were directed off the beaten track in recent weeks.

Local Police have been called to assist distressed motorists who have become stranded within the Murray-Sunset National Park after following directions on their Apple i-phone.

Tests on the mapping system by police confirm the mapping systems lists Mildura in the middle of the Murray Sunset National Park, approximately 70km away from the actual location of Mildura.

Police are extremely concerned as there is no water supply within the Park and temperatures can reach as high as 46 degrees, making this a potentially life threatening issue.

Some of the motorists located by police have been stranded for up to 24 hours without food or water and have walked long distances through dangerous terrain to get phone reception.

Police have contacted Apple in relation to the issue and hope the matter is rectified promptly to ensure the safety of motorists travelling to Mildura.

Anyone travelling to Mildura or other locations within Victoria should rely on other forms of mapping until this matter is rectified.

Bewbies 12-09-2012 08:30 PM

Here in Atlanta Apple Maps is terrible. I've passed the road my map shows me is 1/2 a mile ahead more times than I can count.