ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Charles Woodson Anyone? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270071)

Hoover 02-15-2013 01:58 PM

Charles Woodson Anyone?

Really old, but might work as a stop gap. It's not like you have to give him a 5 year deal.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/ey...harles-woodson

The Packers are set to release defensive back Charles Woodson after he spent seven years in Green Bay. The news first appeared on the Twitter feed for Woodson's winery -- "Thank you Green Bay it was a great run!" -- and NFL Network's Ian Rapoport tweeted a short time later that Carl Poston, Woodson's agent, told him "They're getting ready to release him. It's part of the business."

Woodson, 36, spent the first eight years of his NFL career in Oakland. The former Michigan star won the Heisman Trophy in 1997 and was the fourth player taken in the 1998 NFL Draft. He's an eight-time Pro Bowler, an NFL Defensive Player of the Year as well as a Super Bowl champion.

Woodson, who moved to safety late in his career after playing cornerback, has 55 interceptions and is undoubtedly a first-ballot Hall of Famer. But conversations about Canton are premature; Poston tells Rapoport that Woodson "Sounds like he has a lot of football left," and that his client would "like to go play for a contender, win another Super Bowl. He caught that bug."

Woodson played in just seven games last season after suffering a broken collarbone. But given the NFL's continuing evolution as a passing league and the dearth of capable defensive backs to slow it, we're guessing Woodson won't be out of work long.

RustShack 02-15-2013 01:59 PM

No

ShowtimeSBMVP 02-15-2013 02:00 PM

No, He's 36 not coming to a 2-14 team.

Easy 6 02-15-2013 02:03 PM

Part of me wants to say yes, but it gets overridden by the rest of me... he's just too old, why spend good money on a band-aid who'll only be here for two years tops.

And how much does he really have left anyway? probably not much... glad to have his rookie card, but thats the only way i want to look at him.

Hoover 02-15-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 9405663)
Part of me wants to say yes, but it gets overridden by the rest of me... he's just too old, why spend good money on a band-aid who'll only be here for two years tops.

And how much does he really have left anyway? probably not much... glad to have his rookie card, but thats the only way i want to look at him.

I share this mindset, but not everyone on a team is going to be young, a stop gap here and there is natural.

lcarus 02-15-2013 02:06 PM

I don't give a shit about Woodson, but it's funny how some fans want every single starter to be 22-24 years old with Pro Bowl potential who will be here for 12 seasons. Some of your players are going to be veteran stop gap players.

suds79 02-15-2013 02:09 PM

no

Reerun_KC 02-15-2013 02:11 PM

Ah the someone got cut so lets bring him in and sniff his jock thread to see if he has anything left...

The Poz 02-15-2013 02:14 PM

He's going on 37 and wasn't even very good before he broke his collarbone. Pass.

RyFo18 02-15-2013 02:16 PM

I usually just dismiss FA's, but I would think he's worth consideration to come in and play Free Safety. The dude is very talented despite being old and would provide some veteran leadership.

But I agree with everyone else, he's going to want to play for a contender.

tony77 02-15-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 9405656)
No, He's 36 not coming to a 2-14 team.

Although it would not of been 2-14 if not for matt no arm ,romeo,daboll. Not to mention scooters stubborn ass.

Reerun_KC 02-15-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyFo18 (Post 9405696)
I usually just dismiss FA's, but I would think he's worth consideration to come in and play Free Safety. The dude is very talented despite being old and would provide some veteran leadership.

But I agree with everyone else, he's going to want to play for a contender.

Oh of course... ROFL

Easy 6 02-15-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 9405668)
I share this mindset, but not everyone on a team is going to be young, a stop gap here and there is natural.

Well yeah, if he could come in like a Rodney Harrison and be a real difference maker for 3-4 years that'd be great, but i just have my doubts that this individual player has enough left to be that kind of signing.

I dont think the return would be worth the investment needed to secure a guy with his name.

warpaint* 02-15-2013 02:30 PM

Wasn't he hurt half the season? I'm skeptical he has anything left.

ArrowheadMagic 02-15-2013 02:51 PM

He's still better than Lewis. And can cover TE's. A leader and someone that can help Berry progress. But probably not worth what it would take to sign. Not the worst player to sign.