ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Question about sleeping bags for backpacking (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269731)

petegz28 02-05-2013 06:39 PM

Question about sleeping bags for backpacking

Ok, all you outdoorsy types, I have been looking into some sleeping bags that are good for backpacking. I have seen the down bags that stuff into basically a coffee can, or so it seems. This isn't for extreme use, just for a couple over night hiking trips and what not.

I have seen prices from $100-$500+

Again the most important thing here is that the bags stuff down to small size to fit in the backpack compartment.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions

Bwana 02-05-2013 06:47 PM

Build a lean to, kill a bear and use his hide for warmth.

Sorter 02-05-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 9380922)

this

petegz28 02-05-2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

No bears round these parts

Sorter 02-05-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 9380933)

then you aren't really backpacking. If you aren't backpacking in an area where a wild animal can rip you to shreds and eat your flesh, you're doing it wrong.

Bwana 02-05-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

:shake:

What the hell kind of trip is that? If your greatest danger is twisiting an ankle, you're going to the wrong area. Rethink this or turn in your man card son.

Bwana 02-05-2013 07:02 PM

As far as a bag, down is great as long as you are 100% sure it won't get wet. If that happens, you're horsed. What kind of temps are you going to be dealing with?

allen_kcCard 02-05-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 9380954)
As far as a bag, down is great as long as you are 100% sure it won't get wet. If that happens, you're horsed.

Then just kill the horse and use it's hide for warmth.

Bwana 02-05-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allen_kcCard (Post 9380956)

There you go!

threebag 02-05-2013 07:08 PM

Just cuddle up closer to the next boy scout

Bwana 02-05-2013 07:14 PM

Dude? What kind of evening ambient temperatures are you looking at for this adventure?

ChiefGator 02-05-2013 07:23 PM

Yeah, we need to know low temp at night to really make a recommendation..

jspchief 02-05-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allen_kcCard (Post 9380956)

Slice its belly and climb into it like it was a dead tauntaun on Hoth.

saphojunkie 02-05-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threebag02 (Post 9380962)
Just cuddle up closer to the next boy scout

My chest is hairy, but it gives great back rubs.

SAUTO 02-05-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Build a lean to, kill a bear with your teeth, and use his hide for warmth.

Posted via Mobile Device

LoneWolf 02-05-2013 07:45 PM

I believe the guys on Brokeback Mountain used the Coleman Butt****er 2000 series backpack. They can be a pain in the ass to carry though.

Hog's Gone Fishin 02-05-2013 07:48 PM

I just have to say in this event......

Boar semen.

NewChief 02-05-2013 07:54 PM

First decision is what are the lowest temperatures you think you'll be backpacking in? Then decide how good you are at erecting a dry tent (do you need to go synthetic or down). Then visit Campmor or Sierra Trading Post online and get a name brand bag.

rockymtnchief 02-05-2013 08:22 PM

I use a synthetic mummy bag for backpacking. It's smaller, warmer, and fits in a small bag. When I take the camper I use a down rectangular bag. It's more roomy and since it's inside I don't worry about it getting wet.

Tips:
Don't leave it stuffed in the bag. Take it out at camp asap to let the fill expand and form the air pockets that keep you warm. Take it out once you get home also.

Get a good sleeping pad if you're sleeping on the ground. The ground can freeze your ass pretty quick with nothing insulating you (if it's cold) since you'll be compressing all the fill with your body against the ground.

Don't sleep in the clothes you arrived at camp in. There's a tiny bit of moisture in your clothes that can keep you cold at night. Change your clothes or go nekkid.

There's a thousand bags out there to choose from.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/s...g%20bag&eMode=

Bwana 02-05-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockymtnchief (Post 9381177)
I use a synthetic mummy bag for backpacking. It's smaller, warmer, and fits in a small bag. When I take the camper I use a down rectangular bag. It's more roomy and since it's inside I don't worry about it getting wet.

Tips:
Don't leave it stuffed in the bag. Take it out at camp asap to let the fill expand and form the air pockets that keep you warm. Take it out once you get home also.

Get a good sleeping pad if you're sleeping on the ground. The ground can freeze your ass pretty quick with nothing insulating you (if it's cold) since you'll be compressing all the fill with your body against the ground.

Don't sleep in the clothes you arrived at camp in. There's a tiny bit of moisture in your clothes that can keep you cold at night. Change your clothes or go nekkid.

Good list and great advise on the pad. Nothing like a cold ground temp to help freeze your ass off. From what little he said, he won't need some top of the line bag that's going to break the bank. He needs to hump it back in here and tell us about what temps he's dealing with.

Sorter 02-05-2013 08:33 PM

If you don't bring a sleeping pad when you backpack, you deserve to be eaten by bears.

rockymtnchief 02-05-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 9381212)
Good list and great advise on the pad. Nothing like a cold ground temp to help freeze your ass off. From what little he said, he won't need some top of the line bag that's going to break the bank. He needs to hump it back in here and tell us about what temps he's dealing with.

I agree.

Is this Cooke City in June or Kansas in June. There's about a 50 degree difference!:thumb:

petegz28 02-05-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 9380954)
As far as a bag, down is great as long as you are 100% sure it won't get wet. If that happens, you're horsed. What kind of temps are you going to be dealing with?

Well I am anticipating nothing colder than 35 or so but I will buy a fleece liner or silk liner in case it does get colder

Radar Chief 02-05-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 9380945)
:shake:

What the hell kind of trip is that? If your greatest danger is twisiting an ankle, you're going to the wrong area. Rethink this or turn in your man card son.

I almost wish we had bears. At least that would keep the meth-heads out of the woods.

petegz28 02-05-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockymtnchief (Post 9381177)

Tips:

I've heard synthetic won't compress as much as down, true or no? I have a North Face Terra 60 pack and I'd like to get a bag that will fit into the sleeping bag compartment on the bottom of the bag. the lighther the better of course since I will be packing my own tent as well.

Bwana 02-05-2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 9381233)
Well I am anticipating nothing colder than 35 or so but I will buy a fleece liner or silk liner in case it does get colder

You will be able to get a bag for under $100 that will work great, but as RMC brought up, invest in a pad to go under it or you will damn sure wish you had.

petegz28 02-05-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 9381242)
You will be able to get a bag for under $100 that will work great, but as RMC brought up, invest in a pad to go under it or you will damn sure wish you had.

Oh most defnitiely a pad will be bought. I am not new to sleeping outdoors but I am fairly new to backpacking all my equipment. My biggest concern really is how much the bag can compress.

Bwana 02-05-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 9381236)
I almost wish we had bears. At least that would keep the meth-heads out of the woods.

Bears like meth heads. :thumb:

petegz28 02-05-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 9381251)
Bears like meth heads. :thumb:

We went to Yosemite a couple years ago. I so wanted to see a bear but the wife would not venture off-trail for fear of getting lost. Seeing as I was unarmed and not packing even so much as pepper-spray (as if), I figured she was probably right not too but damn....

Bwana 02-05-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 9381248)
Oh most defnitiely a pad will be bought. I am not new to sleeping outdoors but I am fairly new to backpacking all my equipment. My biggest concern really is how much the bag can compress.

Yeah I understand. So where and when are you taking this trip?

petegz28 02-05-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 9381255)
Yeah I understand. So where and when are you taking this trip?

It will most likely be spring and fall and in Mo somewhere's. But I wouldn't mind buying for future trips to the mountains since we do plan on going back and I am insisting this time we stay at the Chateau Mother Nature

rockymtnchief 02-05-2013 08:51 PM

Ounce for ounce, goose down compresses smaller, is lighter, and warmer. They usually last longer too.

Bwana 02-05-2013 08:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 9381253)
We went to Yosemite a couple years ago. I so wanted to see a bear but the wife would not venture off-trail for fear of getting lost. Seeing as I was unarmed and not packing even so much as pepper-spray (as if), I figured she was probably right not too but damn....

Bear spray and I don't mix. I had a can explode on me last summer. I think I'll stick with my 500 Smith & Wesson. Below is why I don't trust bear spray.

petegz28 02-05-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockymtnchief (Post 9381264)
Ounce for ounce, goose down compresses smaller, is lighter, and warmer. They usually last longer too.

This is what I was looking at but it isn't down...

http://www.basspro.com/The-North-Fac...2011405011017/

petegz28 02-05-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 9381271)
Bear spray and I don't mix. I had a can explode on me last summer. I think I'll stick with my 500 Smith & Wesson. Below is why I don't trust bear spray.

Besides the fact you had better hope you aren't standing down-wind when you pop that shit off...lol

NewChief 02-05-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 9381248)

Any true compressible, backpacking sleeping bag will stuff down into the compartment on the bottom of your pack whether it's down or synthetic. Those things are generally pretty large.

rockymtnchief 02-05-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 9381253)

I've seen enough bears. I ride with Bwana for one reason... his suped up, nitro-charged, cammed out, ATV with a blower makes enough noise to keep the bears miles away from me!:evil:

petegz28 02-05-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9381279)
Any true compressible, backpacking sleeping bag will stuff down into the compartment on the bottom of your pack whether it's down or synthetic. Those things are generally pretty large.

When the one I am looking at says it stuffs down to 6" x 14.2". I don't see how the 14.2" is going to fit but I don't know, never tried this stuff before

petegz28 02-05-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockymtnchief (Post 9381282)
I've seen enough bears. I ride with Bwana for one reason... his suped up, nitro-charged, cammed out, ATV with a blower makes enough noise to keep the bears miles away from me!:evil:

Noise seems to be about the best way to deter a bear, so I am told

NewChief 02-05-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 9381277)
This is what I was looking at but it isn't down...

http://www.basspro.com/The-North-Fac...2011405011017/

Overpriced for a 40 degree bag, imo.

Since you might go down to 35 degrees, I would buy one at that temperature.

Not sure if you're tall or not, but I've always liked to get a "long" bag.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/sie...processed=true

rockymtnchief 02-05-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 9381271)

My can exploded up at Cooke last year in my bag. I rubbed that crap in my eyes all damn day!

My .500 just sat there and giggled at me all day.

petegz28 02-05-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9381286)

I'm only 5'6"-5'7" but I am a side-sleeper.

petegz28 02-05-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Ok, see how that says it stuffs to "18x8? How is that going to fit in my pack or is that just the size of the bag they give you but it will compress more?

Bwana 02-05-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 9381278)
Besides the fact you had better hope you aren't standing down-wind when you pop that shit off...lol

Yep, I've had some of that in my eyes one time (it wasn't much) and I don't EVER want to do that again. :shake:

rockymtnchief 02-05-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Even if you're not tall, long bags are nice to stuff your next days clothes in the bottom so they're toasty in the morning. Good tip, NC.

NewChief 02-05-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 9381304)
Ok, see how that says it stuffs to "18x8? How is that going to fit in my pack or is that just the size of the bag they give you but it will compress more?

You have the Terra 65? It's 14" wide. Can't really tell how high the stuff "pocket' extends, but many of them can be expanded via an internal strap system. You stuff the thing in, so it's really all about cu.in. not about dimensions. It looks like that pack is one of TNF's larger multi-day packs. I really can't imagine that you wouldn't be able to stuff a backpacking sleeping bag into the sleeping bag compartment.

Bwana 02-05-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockymtnchief (Post 9381291)
My can exploded up at Cooke last year in my bag. I rubbed that crap in my eyes all damn day!

My .500 just sat there and giggled at me all day.

Well now that I think about it, I had one open up on Bridger Creek as well when we were out slinging dirt the first time last summer. I know it was a heated chat when I got a hold of the bear spray boys after the 2nd one blew up. I still have the new can they sent me, but I will never use it unless I spray down a meth head or something.

petegz28 02-05-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9381313)
You have the Terra 65? It's 14" wide. Can't really tell how high the stuff "pocket' extends, but many of them can be expanded via an internal strap system. You stuff the thing in, so it's really all about cu.in. not about dimensions.

No, I have a Terra 60

NewChief 02-05-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 9381317)
No, I have a Terra 60

Oh. Still. It's a multi-day backpacking pack. It should fit.

petegz28 02-05-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9381319)
Oh. Still. It's a multi-day backpacking pack. It should fit.

Just stuff that bad bitch til it goes, heh? :thumb:

NewChief 02-05-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 9381321)

Absolutely. I read some reviews, and people said they stuffed their TNF Cat's Meow into it.

Bwana 02-05-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9381330)
Absolutely. I read some reviews, and people said they stuffed their TNF Cat's Meow into it.

Hey New, have you been slinging any fly line down there?

http://www.onlink.net/~ravlodge/imag...g_animated.gif

NewChief 02-05-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 9381339)
Hey New, have you been slinging any fly line down there?

Shit naw. We opened a business, and we're both working our fulltime gigs as well. Makes it hard to find the time. I may be hitting Okeechobee for some bass on spring break, though.

This did just show up in my facebook feed recently. I wish I could claim it:

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...32529879_n.jpg

:eek:

You do anything this time of year or just wait until after runoff?

Sorter 02-05-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9381349)
Shit naw. We opened a business, and we're both working our fulltime gigs as well. Makes it hard to find the time. I may be hitting Okeechobee for some bass on spring break, though.

you do any striper fishing?

NewChief 02-05-2013 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9381356)
you do any striper fishing?

We can get into them on Beaver Lake here and also during the white bass run up into the arms. On Beaver, you need to target them with outriggers and shit (I fish mainly with a fly rod), though they do school and hit the surface in the Fall. I've never hooked one, but I have lots of friends who have.

There are usually 2-3 caught per year in my "circle" of fly fishing friends during the white bass run.

NewChief 02-05-2013 09:32 PM

Case in point:
http://www.mcflyshop.com/images/repo...assstriper.jpg

Bwana 02-05-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9381349)

You do anything this time of year or just wait until after runoff?

Damn that thing is a Hawg. I will be trying my luck down in FL in the very near future.

Sorter 02-05-2013 09:34 PM

They are a blast man.

DaFace 02-05-2013 09:35 PM

This appears to be a catch all thread, but the basic idea is that down is usually better, but it'll usually cost a bit more, and it sucks if it gets wet. If you're planning to use it a lot, it's worth the extra money.

Oh, and the best way to buy one is to go into a store that lets you try one out. I don't think REI has made it to KC yet, but if there's a store kind of like that in the area, go and see them and just ask questions. Or at least read this.

http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advi...eping-bag.html

LOCOChief 02-05-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 9381378)
Damn that thing is a Hawg. I will be trying my luck down in FL in the very near future.

Bwana, have you checked out Boca Grande ?

Bwana 02-05-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOCOChief (Post 9381465)
Bwana, have you checked out Boca Grande ?

I have not. I will be in the Key West and Marathon area again.

LOCOChief 02-05-2013 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 9381485)
I have not. I will be in the Key West and Marathon area again.

Do you fish on the fly down here?

Boca's great tarpon and snook fishing, some of the best, but not the best sight fishing. Big Tarpon and snook though and a lot of them.

And leave some fish for me if you get down there before May.

dirk digler 02-05-2013 10:55 PM

Pete check eBay. I recently bought a Kelty 0 degree down bag for $100.

Tylerthigpen!1! 02-05-2013 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9381383)
This appears to be a catch all thread, but the basic idea is that down is usually better, but it'll usually cost a bit more, and it sucks if it gets wet. If you're planning to use it a lot, it's worth the extra money.

Oh, and the best way to buy one is to go into a store that lets you try one out. I don't think REI has made it to KC yet, but if there's a store kind of like that in the area, go and see them and just ask questions. Or at least read this.

http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advi...eping-bag.html

I think they are building right now. I want to say it will be done in the fall.

cosmo20002 02-05-2013 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 9380907)
Ok, all you outdoorsy types, I have been looking into some sleeping bags that are good for backpacking. I have seen the down bags that stuff into basically a coffee can, or so it seems. This isn't for extreme use, just for a couple over night hiking trips and what not.

This is the part that has me concerned. I haven't read all the posts, but I'm going to assume there's already been a Brokeback Mountain reference. NTTAWWT

BIG K 02-05-2013 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 9381553)
Pete check eBay. I recently bought a Kelty 0 degree down bag for $100.

I apologize I did not read every post, I never do. This one caught my attention. That's a great bag but, not every 0-degree bag is awesome. There are 0-degree bags out there that weigh alot more than others. You really need to look at weight as well as temp.

Bwana 02-05-2013 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOCOChief (Post 9381546)
Do you fish on the fly down here?

Boca's great tarpon and snook fishing, some of the best, but not the best sight fishing. Big Tarpon and snook though and a lot of them.

And leave some fish for me if you get down there before May.

I do both fly fishing and bait fishing down there. Oh, and I'll be down there well before May, as in next week. :) (will leave you some fish) I'm taking a break from Belize this year and spending my money down there. My wife has never been there so I figured what the hell.

dirk digler 02-06-2013 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG K (Post 9381608)
I apologize I did not read every post, I never do. This one caught my attention. That's a great bag but, not every 0-degree bag is awesome. There are 0-degree bags out there that weigh alot more than others. You really need to look at weight as well as temp.

Definitely agree. I did alot of research and happened to come across this bag on ebay. Had great reviews from people and my main 2 concerns, which were weight and if the temperature rating was truly accurate, were alleviated with this bag. The bag came with a compressed bag to stuff in and it weighs right at 3 lbs.

petegz28 02-06-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 9381838)
Definitely agree. I did alot of research and happened to come across this bag on ebay. Had great reviews from people and my main 2 concerns, which were weight and if the temperature rating was truly accurate, were alleviated with this bag. The bag came with a compressed bag to stuff in and it weighs right at 3 lbs.

I am going to go to Backwoods to get check things out in person then order from somewhere online.

DMAC 02-06-2013 09:57 AM

It has probably been said, but pairing up your bag with a Therma Rest pad is well worth the money.

NewChief 02-06-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 9381990)
I am going to go to Backwoods to get check things out in person then order from somewhere online.

Retailers love it when you do that. :cuss:

Skyy God 02-06-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 9381321)

Try putting it in vertically. Tent may have to go on the outside, though.

petegz28 02-06-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9382031)
Retailers love it when you do that. :cuss:

I might buy from them, depending on costs and such. They are not cheap there for the most part.

dirk digler 02-06-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 9381990)

That is a good idea because I love that store but they are expensive.

bevischief 02-06-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Then go kill a cow then.

Holladay 02-06-2013 03:52 PM

I'd also suggest as mentioned earlier, to have a seperate set of cloths to sleep in. A union suit/long johns, wool socks, and a hat. I also use a Army poncho liner for a lil blanket that folds up small.