ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New Wizard of OZ trailer is out (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=261358)

vailpass 11-15-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slick (Post 9120801)
Plus there was already a sequel made in 85.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_to_Oz

When I was a kid in Catholic junior high we had to sing songs for one of our recitals from another Oz remake: The Qiz.

"Ease on down, ease on down, ease on down the ro-oad!"

Fire Me Boy! 11-15-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9120745)
Stop what?

Stealing ideas? The Wizard of Oz was taken from a book. The 'original' was stolen. And it's not like they're removing guns and replacing them with radios, ala Spielberg here. This is a genuinely 'new' story.

This isn't touching a classic. Hell, it's not even expounding on it.

This is a freakin' cool idea and has been put in the hands of some very qualified people (both the director and the actors).

To not make this movie just because the first one was great is nuts. This appears to be a very good movie in its own right.

I'll probably go see it.

I just want to stick up for Spielberg. He's gone on the record saying he regrets doing that, and the Blu-Ray that was recently released is the original theatrical cut, not digital enhancements, no CGI added.

Quote:

For myself, I tried [changing a film] once and lived to regret it. Not because of fan outrage, but because I was disappointed in myself. I got overly sensitive to [some of the reaction] to E.T., and I thought if technology evolved, [I might go in and change some things]…it was OK for a while, but I realized what I had done was I had robbed people who loved E.T. of their memories of E.T. [...] If I put just one cut of E.T. on Blu-ray and it was the 1982, would anyone object to that? [The crowd yells "NO!" in unison.] OK, so be it.
We're not talking about the diabolical evil of Lucas making Greedo shoot first. We're talking about a guy who got caught up in the moment and made a mistake.

A Salt Weapon 11-15-2012 11:55 AM

Awesome can't wait to see this.

vailpass 11-15-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9120903)
I just want to stick up for Spielberg. He's gone on the record saying he regrets doing that, and the Blu-Ray that was recently released is the original theatrical cut, not digital enhancements, no CGI added.

We're not talking about the diabolical evil of Lucas making Greedo shoot first. We're talking about a guy who got caught up in the moment and made a mistake.

I just have no idea what you guys are talking about but it seems like you mean it.

DJ's left nut 11-15-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9120903)

Guns.
Radios.

Apologize away, Steven. I'm sure Dahmer felt bad about that whole 'eating people' thing as well.

Deberg_1990 03-04-2013 09:24 AM

reviews filtering out. 75% on RT

Some like it, others not so much.....

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/oz_t..._and_powerful/

Deberg_1990 03-09-2013 05:04 PM

Just watched it today with the kids. It was pretty good. I thought Raimi would water down his style, but was pleasantly surprised how much of a true Raimi movie it was. It had a few intense scenes that would scare younger children.

Fat Elvis 03-09-2013 05:27 PM

We saw it this afternoon and thoroughly enjoyed it. One thing to consider if you see it (or any movie) in 3D; sit back farther from the screen than you normally would. I think the 3D effect is better than if you sit too close to the screen.

(FTR, I'm someone who likes to sit in the lower third of a theater because I like for a screen to fill my entire field of vision, but in a 3D movie you lose some of the effect because of your eyes moving around.)

Deberg_1990 03-09-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 9480729)
We saw it this afternoon and thoroughly enjoyed it. One thing to consider if you see it (or any movie) in 3D; sit back farther from the screen than you normally would. I think the 3D effect is better than if you sit too close to the screen.

(FTR, I'm someone who likes to sit in the lower third of a theater because I like for a screen to fill my entire field of vision, but in a 3D movie you lose some of the effect because of your eyes moving around.)

We didn't see it in 3D because I have grown to hate 3D. But this would have been a fun movie to see in that format. Good movie, better than I expected.

ILChief 03-09-2013 07:20 PM

Saw it today. Really good. Our daughters liked it except for the beginning black and white part. And our younger daughter was scared of the witch

lcarus 03-09-2013 11:57 PM

I'm really interested in seeing this.

Chiefs Pantalones 03-10-2013 02:04 PM

The wifey and I are about to see this now. Looking forward to it.

Chiefs Pantalones 03-10-2013 05:00 PM

We loved it. It was visually amazing and the 3D was refreshing. It's usually choppy but this was impressive. Great acting and great family film.

listopencil 03-10-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 9120938)
I just have no idea what you guys are talking about but it seems like you mean it.

lolwut?

gblowfish 03-11-2013 09:17 AM

I saw this yesterday at Union Station with my wifey. I enjoyed it. The 3D takes some getting used to. But Mila Kunis wears tight black leather pants in 3D....daddy likey!!!