ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   It Doesn't Look Good for Lamar (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=154293)

kcfanintitanhell 12-12-2006 07:57 PM

It Doesn't Look Good for Lamar

Prayers and white light to the Hunt family-

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Lamar Hunt was fighting for his life in a Dallas hospital Tuesday, and friends and family of the 74-year-old pioneer of the modern NFL were hoping for "miracles."

When Lamar Hunt couldn't buy an NFL team, he started the AFL. (AP)
When Lamar Hunt couldn't buy an NFL team, he started the AFL. (AP)
Hunt has battled cancer for several years and was hospitalized the day before Thanksgiving with a partially collapsed lung. Doctors discovered that the cancer has since spread, and Hunt has been under heavy sedation since last week.

"They're trying to make him as comfortable as possible," said Carl Peterson, president and general manager of Hunt's Kansas City Chiefs. "He's battling a very courageous fight. We'll continue to hope that miracles will happen."

The son of Texas oilman H.L. Hunt tried unsuccessfully to buy an NFL team in the late 1950s, and when continually rebuffed, he persuaded several other wealthy sportsmen to form the American Football League to compete with the NFL.

His Dallas Texans moved to Kansas City in 1963 and became the Chiefs. Several years later, the NFL was forced to merge with Hunt's successful AFL, and the modern league was born.

Long an eloquent spokesman for the league and for small-market teams such as Kansas City, Hunt in 1972 became the first AFL figure inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The AFC championship trophy is named after him and, coincidentally, it was Hunt who gave the Super Bowl its name.

He and his family also have been active in professional soccer, and he's a minority owner of the NBA's Chicago Bulls.

Clark Hunt, one of his four children, has been gradually assuming his father's oversight of the family's sports interests.

"I was with Clark Hunt yesterday, and of course I speak with the family every day," Peterson said. "There's not any improvement."

Hunt and other early day owners who put the health of the league above the best interests of their individual clubs have been credited with helping the NFL avoid the big market-small market disparity that has plagued major league baseball.

Peterson said he visited Hunt's hospital bed last week.

"He's giving it everything he can," Peterson said. "The doctors are also. We hope and pray for good results.

"All the family is there. Everybody's there," Peterson added. "It's extremely hard for everybody. And on a personal note, certainly I've been with this guy a long time and have the utmost respect and love for him. I've known him since 1976 when I came into the league, and I know what he's contributed to the National Football League, to Kansas City, to this community.

"It's a difficult time for everybody."

Sorry if this a repost, but didn't see this updated story .

leviw 12-12-2006 08:01 PM

Repost.

Too depressing to read again.

PinkFloyd 12-12-2006 08:02 PM

I believe this has been on here a couple of times today, but that's ok... I won't bash you, and I'm sure in light of the situation, no one else will either...

Looks like Lamar won't see another title in KC... And that's really sad...

BigVE 12-12-2006 08:03 PM

Have you even read some of the messages on the front page? "New yahoo article on Mr. Hunt"...ring a bell.

the Talking Can 12-12-2006 08:04 PM

Sounds like he might not last the season.

It is cruel that CP never brought him a championship. I hope it haunts him.

Easy 6 12-12-2006 08:12 PM

God bless Mr.Hunt, i hope he had a wonderful life. He has his magical seasons to look back on, a SB ring etc.

He lived a blessed life & blessed us with CHIEF football.

Godspeed, Lamar.

4th and Long 12-12-2006 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can

If they've had him doped up for the last week and you see quotes such as, "They're trying to make him as comfortable as possible," and, "There's not any improvement." chances are he may not live through the week.

the Talking Can 12-12-2006 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4th and Long
If they've had him doped up for the last week and you see quotes such as, "They're trying to make him as comfortable as possible," and, "There's not any improvement." chances are he may not live through the week.

Next thing you know CP will announce a long term extension for Ryan Sims...the final nail....

4th and Long 12-12-2006 08:16 PM

Quote:

Next thing you know CP will announce a long term extension for Ryan Sims...the final nail....

If that happens, I'll surely hunt you down and kick you squarely in the junk for even mentioning it. You know management reads this board, damnit!

chiefqueen 12-12-2006 08:35 PM

Quote:

IMO opinion that's why they had a moment of silence for him Sunday. Because they don't think he'll make to our next home game on 12/31.

CoMoChief 12-12-2006 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd
Looks like Lamar won't see another title in KC... And that's really sad...

Not to be mean, I hope he gets better, but it's his own damn fault. How long has Carl been around? He should have left when Marty left but he cares about money more than he does winning. If he didn't Carl would have been gone a long time ago. As long as he's filling seat to the max and making lot's of money, Carl stays. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the longest tenured GM in professional sports still has a job after 18 years with only 1 playoff win to show for it. Carl still filled the seats and Lamar kept making money. If that wasn't the case Carl wouldn't be here. It's a business, Lamar wants to make money, end of story. I'm sure he wanted to win as well, but I bet he cared more about losing money than he did about losing games.

kcfanintitanhell 12-12-2006 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigVE
Have you even read some of the messages on the front page? "New yahoo article on Mr. Hunt"...ring a bell.

Why would I want to ring a bell??

4th and Long 12-12-2006 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief
Not to be mean, I hope he gets better, but it's his own damn fault. How long has Carl been around? He should have left when Marty left but he cares about money more than he does winning. If he didn't Carl would have been gone a long time ago. As long as he's filling seat to the max and making lot's of money, Carl stays. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the longest tenured GM in professional sports still has a job after 18 years with only 1 playoff win to show for it. Carl still filled the seats and Lamar kept making money. If that wasn't the case Carl wouldn't be here. It's a business, Lamar wants to make money, end of story. I'm sure he wanted to win as well, but I bet he cared more about losing money than he did about losing games.

The man has done more for football than any other owner. Way to trash him when he's on his death bed. And the neg rep bombs start in 3, ... 2, ... 1, ...

SoCalBronco 12-12-2006 08:47 PM

Your friends from the rest of the AFC West are also hoping for a miracle, Mr. Hunt. We all really hope he can come through.

May all of our prayers be answered.

Coach 12-12-2006 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4th and Long

Yeah, that's the impression I get.

Still though, it's gonna suck anyways, considering what the man has done for the Chiefs franchise and the NFL as well.