ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Money Credit Karma (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=301070)

ndws 07-26-2016 09:50 AM

Credit Karma

I paid off my car loan in early July. It wasn't scheduled to be done until Nov 2017. The bank closed the auto loan account obviously, and whammo...Credit Karma is saying I took a 60-something point hit

WTF.

That's going to take an insane amount of time to heal 60 points.

Did the bank report the account closing wrong, as if it were closed for a bad reason? Is Credit Karma full of shit?

rhinson1380 07-26-2016 09:57 AM

It changes your utilization. 30% of your credit is factored in with how much you owe and how much credit you are using. It's the stupidest thing ever. Then entire credit system is broken and takes way to long to recover from something.

allen_kcCard 07-26-2016 09:58 AM

A quick Google search tells me that this is normal. Closed accounts (even paid in full ones) lower your score. It is stupid, I agree, but that is how it works.

ndws 07-26-2016 10:00 AM

That's nuts.

I get the idea of the account closing, etc. But Jesus. Its a car loan, they should be able to close it with an "atta boy" for being early. ****ing tanking my credit score for working ahead is the dumbest shit.

The Franchise 07-26-2016 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndws (Post 12334955)
That's nuts.

I get the idea of the account closing, etc. But Jesus. Its a car loan, they should be able to close it with an "atta boy" for being early. ****ing tanking my credit score for working ahead is the dumbest shit.

Welcome to America.

Dave Lane 07-26-2016 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndws (Post 12334955)
That's nuts.

Don't borrow money and it doesn't matter.

Amnorix 07-26-2016 10:08 AM

I'm not a credit score expert by any means, but I always kind of thought of it this way:

-- WE think the score should reflect how credit-worthy a person is. Are they a reliable payer? Do they satisfy their obligations? Can they manage money well?

-- the credit score industry is actually set up to tell banks if you are a GOOD BORROWER, which means that you won't default on the loan, are a good credit risk, and -- importantly to them -- THEY MAKE EVERY ****ING DIME THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO MAKE OFF YOUR ASS.

So you close an account early, that's BAD, because the BANK DIDN'T GET ALL THOSE EXTRA MONTHS OF INTEREST PAYMENTS.

Now, I may be completely off base here, but that is how I **think** ti works, kinda sorta.

Can someone enlighten us on whether I'm anywhere close to right?

ndws 07-26-2016 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 12334962)
Don't borrow money and it doesn't matter.

My wife would not like me having a sugar momma, so....

ndws 07-26-2016 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 12334965)
I'm not a credit score expert by any means, but I always kind of thought of it this way:

-- WE think the score should reflect how credit-worthy a person is. Are they a reliable payer? Do they satisfy their obligations? Can they manage money well?

-- the credit score industry is actually set up to tell banks if you are a GOOD BORROWER, which means that you won't default on the loan, are a good credit risk, and -- importantly to them -- THEY MAKE EVERY ****ING DIME THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO MAKE OFF YOUR ASS.

So you close an account early, that's BAD, because the BANK DIDN'T GET ALL THOSE EXTRA MONTHS OF INTEREST PAYMENTS.

Now, I may be completely off base here, but that is how I **think** ti works, kinda sorta.

Can someone enlighten us on whether I'm anywhere close to right?

From what I've read about it, paying off early or not really has little to do with the credit hit. Its the fact that a diversified credit account was closed. Kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't. But the banks should be allowed to close the account "honorably" so you aren't getting the hit regardless of what you do.

tx4chiefs 07-26-2016 10:23 AM

Open a credit card and get your ratio back. I always pay credit card in full each month and it keeps my score pretty high.

listopencil 07-26-2016 11:13 AM

Could be because Credit Karma switched to a much more volatile system somewhat recently. I have seen my score waver significantly for what I consider to be very trivial reasons. The good thing, though, is that your score also tends to spring back quickly. If your credit card company (or bank account) offers a free FICO score then check that often. Those tend to be less volatile even though they are probably using the same system or one that is very similar.

listopencil 07-26-2016 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndws (Post 12334969)
From what I've read about it, paying off early or not really has little to do with the credit hit. Its the fact that a diversified credit account was closed. Kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't. But the banks should be allowed to close the account "honorably" so you aren't getting the hit regardless of what you do.

Yeah, having different types of accounts helps your score.

SAUTO 07-26-2016 11:18 AM

It's ****ing dumb

KChiefs1 07-26-2016 11:18 AM

Credit Karma

It probably increased your debt ratio.

Never close an account due to this fact.

SAUTO 07-26-2016 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 12335051)
It probably increased your debt ratio.

Never close an account due to this fact.

Are you saying he should have never paid the vehicle off?