ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   High Definition experts I need your help... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=144055)

KChiefs1 07-22-2006 05:35 PM

High Definition experts I need your help...

I'm in an argument with a guy at work over High Definition.

His argument is that aspect ratio has nothing to do with true HD. I say that true HD can only be seen on a 16:9 screen while he says that you can see true HD on a 4:3 screen too.

I tried to explain to him the difference between 480, 720 & 1080 but he still says you can see true HD reception on a 4:3 aspect ratio because all high definition means is the scan lines.

Has anyone got an url that provides the answer to this argument?

ChiefFan31 07-22-2006 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1

His argument is that aspect ratio has nothing to do with true HD. I say that true HD can only be seen on a 16:9 screen while he says that you can see true HD on a 4:3 screen too.

I tried to explain to him the difference between 480, 720 & 1080 but he still says you can see true HD reception on a 4:3 aspect ratio because all high definition means is the scan lines.

he is right, sorry dude. TNT HD is the perfect example, its broadcast widescreen, but you can tell the picture is stretched. its 4:3 HD

Most stations all broadcast widescreen, that is the standard.

I think 4:3 sucks, and they should all have to broadcast widescreen

Edit - after further thought, I am not 100% sure. I will take a gander at some links. I know its the standard, but in relation to your argument I think your friend is right.

Armyofme 07-22-2006 06:03 PM

http://www.trustedreviews.com/articl...ge=7573&head=0

"...Another important point is that a television MUST conform to a widescreen aspect ratio in order to sport the HD Ready logo, which could be the final death knell for 4:3 TVs..."

Basically, to be "true" HD, you need to be in a wide aspect ratio.

I think things are going to be a bit fuzzy on the subject for quite a while, but the standard says wide (16:9).

Read the whole article, it is all you would ever want to know about HD... very well done.

Deberg_1990 07-22-2006 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefFan31
he is right, sorry dude. TNT HD is the perfect example, its broadcast widescreen, but you can tell the picture is stretched. its 4:3 HD

TNT also shows alot of older shows like ER, etc, that were filmed before those shows started filming in the widscreen standard.

ChiefFan31 07-22-2006 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990
TNT also shows alot of older shows like ER, etc, that were filmed before those shows started filming in the widscreen standard.

Good point, but they do it for everything. It is a nice picture, kinda crazy how easy it is to tell the diff in quality with diff HD channels.

They are really the only one that uses a stretch mode. At least for the HD channels for Time Warner.

KChiefs1 07-22-2006 10:18 PM

Doesn't this prove my point?

1) The minimum resolution of the display must be 720 lines in a widescreen aspect ratio.

Halfcan 07-22-2006 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1

I would just kick him in the nuts and say, how is that for high def Mother fucker!!! That should end the arguement.

Or if you guys are as nerdy as you sound, just hide his glasses.

Hammock Parties 07-22-2006 10:56 PM

HD in 4:3 ratio would just mean more pixels...

Think of it as the difference between a monitor at 1280x960 and a monitor at 1280x720.