ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   All alex all the time (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=307712)

Easy 6 05-12-2017 09:46 PM

All alex all the time

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12870531)
I'd like to get those two really rolling together like Atlanta uses Freeman and Coleman. Just a couple of well balanced runners who run hard as hell and can catch the ball.

This team is going to need a top notch run game to make an AFC Championship under Alex Smith in 2017, along with a top notch defense. Now, if Mahomes becomes as good as many including myself think he could be, it's a whole new level for the Chiefs. The offense could become something it hasn't been in nearly 15 years.

I honestly dont see our guys being quite as dynamic as Atlantas duo

But what our guys lack in explosiveness, they should be be able to make up for with with a grinding, wear you down, kill the clock style... provided Ehingers return is the cure for what ailed us last year

What Alex Smith brings this year, I have no clue... tempted to expect the same old shit because thats how he has mostly played for his entire career

But maybe, just maybe, the writing on the wall spurs him to reach outside of himself and he tries to MAKE plays for once... 'good' Smiff can approach dynamic, we'll see

The pressure will either make him wilt, or make him show off

If he decides to grab his balls, we could have a great year

pugsnotdrugs19 05-12-2017 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 12870543)
I honestly dont see our guys being quite as dynamic as Atlantas duo

But what our guys lack in explosiveness, they should be be able to make up for with with a grinding, wear you down, kill the clock style... provided Ehingers return is the cure for what ailed us last year

What Alex Smith brings this year, I have no clue... tempted to expect the same old shit because thats how he has mostly played for his entire career

But maybe, just maybe, the writing on the wall spurs him to reach outside of himself and he tries to MAKE plays for once... 'good' Smiff can approach dynamic, we'll see

The pressure will either make him wilt, or make him show off

If he decides to grab his balls, we could have a great year

I have pondered this thought as well. Love or hate what Smith brings, he is human and if he has any sense about him... he'll let 'em hang loose in 2017.

I mean, for all we know he is thinking about playing only a couple more seasons. It wouldn't surprise me a bit given a variety of factors. Regardless, he has been in this situation before and he knows that this could inevitably be his last year starting for a contending team.

Just putting myself in his shoes mentally, there is no way I'm not pushing all my chips in for 2017 and playing much more aggressively. Now, he still has to play within himself to some degree. He knows he can't go out there and start trying to make Pat Mahomes type throws, ones that he just can't physically replicate. But, he can make more of those 20-45 yard passes, it really is just up to him IMO.

I won't get my hopes too high for the outcome, but I think he definitely adjusts his approach this year.

Easy 6 05-12-2017 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12870637)
I have pondered this thought as well. Love or hate what Smith brings, he is human and if he has any sense about him... he'll let 'em hang loose in 2017.

I mean, for all we know he is thinking about playing only a couple more seasons. It wouldn't surprise me a bit given a variety of factors. Regardless, he has been in this situation before and he knows that this could inevitably be his last year starting for a contending team.

Just putting myself in his shoes mentally, there is no way I'm not pushing all my chips in for 2017 and playing much more aggressively. Now, he still has to play within himself to some degree. He knows he can't go out there and start trying to make Pat Mahomes type throws, ones that he just can't physically replicate. But, he can make more of those 20-45 yard passes, it really is just up to him IMO.

I won't get my hopes too high for the outcome, but I think he definitely adjusts his approach this year.

Yup... if Smith intends to start somewhere in 2018, he better impress his potential suitors this year

Honestly though, I see him retiring when KC lets him go... he isnt going to a loser franchise to suffer at the end of his career IMO

So if he wants to be a genuine hero, its now or never

ChiefGator 05-13-2017 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 12870649)
Honestly though, I see him retiring when KC lets him go... he isnt going to a loser franchise to suffer at the end of his career IMO

I agree. Especially after it took him so long to return from his non-concussion last year. I don't think he will want to take more hits for a bottom of the barrel team.

DaneMcCloud 05-13-2017 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 12870649)
Yup... if Smith intends to start somewhere in 2018, he better impress his potential suitors this year

So if he wants to be a genuine hero, its now or never

Your expectations are unrealistic, IMO.

Mahomes is just 21 years old. He's a true junior. He has so much to learn that it would be shock if he's on the field before mid-2018 at the earliest. 2019 is the target.

The Chiefs are, rightfully so, looking at the next 10 years plus, not 2017 or 2018. 2018 will be a rebuilding year of sorts as is, with DJ, Hali, Maclin and Bailey unlikely to return. The absence of a first round pick won't help the process, either.

Alex Smith will most likely fulfill his contract. Does anyone want Travis Kelce as the veteran leader of the offense?

DaneMcCloud 05-13-2017 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefGator (Post 12870809)
I agree. Especially after it took him so long to return from his non-concussion last year. I don't think he will want to take more hits for a bottom of the barrel team.

If Smith is concerned with the concussion issue, he'd have retired now. And it's silly to think that his only option would be a "bottom barrel" team.

Have you looked at the state of QBing in the NFL today?

pugsnotdrugs19 05-13-2017 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12870813)

Mahomes is just 21 years old. He's a true junior. He has so much to learn that it would be shock if he's on the field before mid-2018 at the earliest. 2019 is the target.

The Chiefs are, rightfully so, looking at the next 10 years plus, not 2017 or 2018. 2018 will be a rebuilding year of sorts as is, with DJ, Hali, Maclin and Bailey unlikely to return. The absence of a first round pick won't help the process, either.

Alex Smith will most likely fulfill his contract. Does anyone want Travis Kelce as the veteran leader of the offense?

Mahomes turns 21 in September, so really he will be 22 his whole rookie season. He's more like an older senior. If he's the bright kid and worker he is perceived as, the next year and a half will be ample time for him to become 'ready'.

Also, I don't see Maclin and Bailey as cuts at all unless they disappoint mightily or get injured again. If you go by what Dorsey says, they are never truly rebuilding. Regarding the Mahomes pick, he said they made that move to ensure that they remain competitive year in and year out for the foreseeable future.

If the Chiefs are desperate for cap room next offseason, everyone knows where the most fruitful source is.... number 11.

RunKC 05-13-2017 09:59 AM

I see where Dane is coming from, but I don't see the issue with Mahomes starting in 2018. He was an academic all-American in college and used verbiage and playcalls at the LOS.

Reid's offense is very complicated, but Patrick will have roughly 16 months to learn it including 2 training camps and preseasons. I imagine that will be enough for Andy.

As for for the leaders, Maclin and Conley are great leaders IMO. I think maclin would restructure to stay a couple more years.

DaneMcCloud 05-13-2017 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12870822)
Mahomes turns 21 in September, so really he will be 22 his whole rookie season. He's more like an older senior. If he's the bright kid and worker he is perceived as, the next year and a half will be ample time for him to become 'ready'.

Also, I don't see Maclin and Bailey as cuts at all unless they disappoint mightily or get injured again. If you go by what Dorsey says, they are never truly rebuilding. Regarding the Mahomes pick, he said they made that move to ensure that they remain competitive year in and year out for the foreseeable future.

If the Chiefs are desperate for cap room next offseason, everyone knows where the most fruitful source is.... number 11.

Mahomes is a true junior at this point. Turning 22 in September doesn't make him an "old" senior. The Chiefs don't have to rush him, as Smith is under contract and I don't they they will rush him, as it won't benefit the team in the long run.

Under no scenario can I envision the Chiefs paying a 30 year old Maclin, who's clearly on the decline, $13.4 million in 2018. Look to the drafting of Chesson and the large number of UDFA's as proof they're looking to upgrade the WR corp.

Same for Bailey. He'd need to have an insane, breakout season this year in order to justify an $8 million dollar cap hit and with the drafting of Kpassagnon and Jones, the writing is on the wall.

O.city 05-13-2017 10:11 AM

They aren't gonna pay to keep smith next year. 17 million in cap savings with their next hand picked guy on the bench isn't likely.

pugsnotdrugs19 05-13-2017 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12870834)
Mahomes is a true junior at this point. Turning 22 in September doesn't make him an "old" senior. The Chiefs don't have to rush him, as Smith is under contract and I don't they they will rush him, as it won't benefit the team in the long run.

Under no scenario can I envision the Chiefs paying a 30 year old Maclin, who's clearly on the decline, $13.4 million in 2018. Look to the drafting of Chesson and the large number of UDFA's as proof they're looking to upgrade the WR corp.

Same for Bailey. He'd need to have an insane, breakout season this year in order to justify an $8 million dollar cap hit and with the drafting of Kpassagnon and Jones, the writing is on the wall.

A lot of the financial decisions all come back to what happens at QB. If they feel like they can move on from Smith, they could cut him, Hali, Jah Reid, and Demetrius Harris and have $21.6M in cap space (according to OTC). If you add DJ into that, the number jumps to almost $30M, and you'd still have Maclin and Bailey on the roster. That would be enough cap room to make whatever moves/extensions they might want.

On the flip side, if they feel like they have to keep Alex for 2018, I would hope they can get him to take somewhat of a pay cut. Assuming he would make what he is scheduled to make, and cutting Maclin, Bailey, DJ, Hali, Reid, and Harris would put them at around $27M in cap room. Either scenario presents a lot of veterans being released, but the first one is more likely IMO as they have their biggest investment waiting in the wings behind Smith.

JMO, but I think Maclin bounces back this year. Not necessarily a 1000 yards, as that will be tough to get with Kelce and Hill around and Alex at QB, but I think he will be a threat.

RunKC 05-13-2017 10:17 AM

The rookie deal is so important, especially with guys like Ford and Peters needing new contracts soon.

It would be foolish to waste half of his low salary deal bc Alex was still here being paid big money.
We basically have 4 years bc that 5th year is $19 million

pugsnotdrugs19 05-13-2017 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 12870842)
The rookie deal is so important, especially with guys like Ford and Peters needing new contracts soon.

It would be foolish to waste half of his low salary deal bc Alex was still here being paid big money.
We basically have 4 years bc that 5th year is $19 million

This. Give him the one year in 2017 to learn the mental side, to learn how to do things in the league. Let him learn on the field against the first team defense everyday in practice as the scout team QB. Then, as 2018 comes, let him take over the reigns. The 3-year window begins to add the pieces you need around him to win with a cheap QB.

The 5th year option will still be cheap IF he is really good. But, it is still a huge gap from what his rookie contract will pay out each year. In years 2-4, Dorsey will be able to add those veteran guys that can put the team over the hump in FA. I think back to when Dungver added Talib and Ware. Those moves were just what they needed. Or, when Seattle signed Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril while Wilson was cheap.

DaneMcCloud 05-13-2017 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 12870837)
They aren't gonna pay to keep smith next year. 17 million in cap savings with their next hand picked guy on the bench isn't likely.

Then they must be prepared for a 6-10 or 7-9 season, which I think is highly unlikely.

RunKC 05-13-2017 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12870846)
This. Give him the one year in 2017 to learn the mental side, to learn how to do things in the league. Let him learn on the field against the first team defense everyday in practice as the scout team QB. Then, as 2018 comes, let him take over the reigns. The 3-year window begins to add the pieces you need around him to win with a cheap QB.

The 5th year option will still be cheap IF he is really good. But, it is still a huge gap from what his rookie contract will pay out each year. In years 2-4, Dorsey will be able to add those veteran guys that can put the team over the hump in FA. I think back to when Dungver added Talib and Ware. Those moves were just what they needed. Or, when Seattle signed Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril while Wilson was cheap.

Agreed.

Ideally I'd like to cut Alex, restructure Maclin, tell Tamba to restructure or cut him, cut Reid and cut Bailey if needed.

Easily enough to give Ford and Logan Big new deals along with another good player or two.

DaneMcCloud 05-13-2017 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12870840)
A lot of the financial decisions all come back to what happens at QB. If they feel like they can move on from Smith, they could cut him, Hali, Jah Reid, and Demetrius Harris and have $21.6M in cap space (according to OTC). If you add DJ into that, the number jumps to almost $30M, and you'd still have Maclin and Bailey on the roster. That would be enough cap room to make whatever moves/extensions they might want.

Those figures don't represent the in the Dead Cap Space.

Projected Cuts for 2018:

Maclin: $8.6m in Cap Space, $4.8 in Dead Money = net savings of $3.8 million
Bailey: $6m in CS, $2 in DM = net savings of $4 m
Hali: $7m in CS, $1.54 in DM = net savings of $5.4 m
Reid: $3.2m in Cap Space, $775k DM = net savings of $2.425 m
Harris: $2m in Cap Space, $1.8m in DM = net savings of $1.8 m
DJ: $8m in Cap Space, $2.25 in DM = net savings of $5.75 m

That's a total savings of $17,441,666, all for players that are at the end of their careers or fairly easy to replace.

Quote:

On the flip side, if they feel like they have to keep Alex for 2018, I would hope they can get him to take somewhat of a pay cut. Assuming he would make what he is scheduled to make, and cutting Maclin, Bailey, DJ, Hali, Reid, and Harris would put them at around $27M in cap room. Either scenario presents a lot of veterans being released, but the first one is more likely IMO as they have their biggest investment waiting in the wings behind Smith.

Once again, the numbers are incorrect. Also, cutting Alex Smith nets only a $13.4 million in cap savings. If he starts the first half of the season or if Mahomes is injured as a starter and/or struggles in 2018, do you really believe that Clark Hunt, Andy Reid and John Dorsey are going to turn their team over to Tyler Bray or Joel Stave?

And if they wanted a "cheap" backup that knows the system, why didn't they just hang on to Nick Foles or sign Chase Daniel after the Eagles cut him loose?

I just don't see any scenario in which Smith isn't a Chief in 2018, unless he's injured in 2017 and Mahomes plays like Dak Prescott. While that would be the "ideal" scenario, I don't think it's very likely.

Quote:

JMO, but I think Maclin bounces back this year. Not necessarily a 1000 yards, as that will be tough to get with Kelce and Hill around and Alex at QB, but I think he will be a threat.

Agree to disagree about Maclin but I can't see the Chiefs paying a 30 year old WR on the downside of his career $13.4 million in 2018. That just doesn't make any sense.

Easy 6 05-13-2017 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12870813)

I just disagree, dude... based on the widely reported intelligence and drive this kid has, he can reach a workable level of proficiency in the year and half he has IMO

Like RunKC says, thats two full offseasons and two full camps plus preseason play

Then theres the cap savings that Pugs mentions, between Smith and a few others contracts we could have plenty of dough to go sign some premier free agents

I could be wrong, its all up in the air right now... but I'm sticking with the idea that St Patrick starts in 2018

DaneMcCloud 05-13-2017 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 12870877)
Agreed.

Ideally I'd like to cut Alex, restructure Maclin, tell Tamba to restructure or cut him, cut Reid and cut Bailey if needed.

Easily enough to give Ford and Logan Big new deals along with another good player or two.

The Chiefs drafted Chris Jones and Tanoh to start at DE. I can't see them paying Allen Bailey $8 million in 2018.

Reid and Harris are probably "Bubble" players this year. Hali is done but if they cut him this year, the Dead Money is too much to take against the cap.

And once again, if the Chiefs cut Alex Smith in 2018, who's the backup? Who's the failsafe? Tyler Bray? Joel Stave? A shitty street free agent?

DaneMcCloud 05-13-2017 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 12870896)
I just disagree, dude... based on the widely reported intelligence and drive this kid has, he can reach a workable level of proficiency in the year and half he has IMO

Agree to disagree.

The Chiefs have gone 12-5 the past two season while suffering massive injuries to their defensive line (34 games lost last year alone), linebacker corp (39 games lost last year), their best WR in the 2015 playoffs along with their top 3 running backs, injuries to their starting left guard and top 2 running backs in 2016.

The front office is in absolutely no hurry to rush Mahomes into duty until he's absolutely ready to not lose a step in victories. I don't think that gaining $13.4 million in cap space for 2018 is going to be a determining factor in cutting Alex Smith.

pugsnotdrugs19 05-13-2017 11:35 AM

Alex's 2018 cap number is $20.6M and cutting him leaves $3.6M in dead money. It's $17M savings toward the cap.

All the OTC numbers are right as far as those go.

Halfcan 05-13-2017 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12870903)
Agree to disagree.

The Chiefs have gone 12-5 the past two season while suffering massive injuries to their defensive line (34 games lost last year alone), linebacker corp (39 games lost last year), their best WR in the 2015 playoffs along with their top 3 running backs, injuries to their starting left guard and top 2 running backs in 2016.

The front office is in absolutely no hurry to rush Mahomes into duty until he's absolutely ready to not lose a step in victories. I don't think that gaining $13.4 million in cap space for 2018 is going to be a determining factor in cutting Alex Smith.

Your hypothesis makes some big assumptions.

The first, being Alex was the reason for all the victories, which is highly debatable.

Second, that PM2 could not deliver the same mediocre stats of 200 yards a game and 15 TD's / 8 Ints as Alex put up last year.

Third- the Chiefs still want to be status quo average, just to keep the seats filled, only to end in another playoff defeat to a better QB.

Fourth, that Alex even stays healthy. He has been hurt and is far from Iron Man Favre. He also played very timidly at times most of the year and it showed in his running stats, which were almost non-existent.

Five, the fans will be willing to watch Alex putt around out there for two years. Playing without much passion, just to squeak by with some regular season wins while literally being bored to death watching him dink and dunk and run out of bounds on third downs. Fans at Arrowhead will be chanting PM2 the first bad game he has- I guarantee it!!

Lastly- that saved cap money is not pocket change. It is the icing on the cake to move on to the future and is More than enough to bring in a free agent backup, if Bray continues to be a bust, plus fill any holes left by all the expected departures.

PM2 will be the starter in 2018. Count on it. He will quickly make us forget about all the ultra boring play of his predecessor.

DaneMcCloud 05-13-2017 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 12870970)
Your hypothesis makes some big assumptions.

The first, being Alex was the reason for all the victories, which is highly debatable.

Second, that PM2 could not deliver the same mediocre stats of 200 yards a game and 15 TD's / 8 Ints as Alex put up last year.

Third- the Chiefs still want to be status quo average, just to keep the seats filled, only to end in another playoff defeat to a better QB.

Fourth, that Alex even stays healthy. He has been hurt and is far from Iron Man Favre. He also played very timidly at times most of the year and it showed in his running stats, which were almost non-existent.

Five, the fans will be willing to watch Alex putt around out there for two years. Playing without much passion, just to squeak by with some regular season wins while literally being bored to death watching him dink and dunk and run out of bounds on third downs. Fans at Arrowhead will be chanting PM2 the first bad game he has- I guarantee it!!

Lastly- that saved cap money is not pocket change. It is the icing on the cake to move on to the future and is More than enough to bring in a free agent backup, if Bray continues to be a bust, plus fill any holes left by all the expected departures.

PM2 will be the starter in 2018. Count on it. He will quickly make us forget about all the ultra boring play of his predecessor.

And you're assuming that a 22 year old kid can run the most complicated offense in the NFL after one season of running the scout team.

RunKC 05-13-2017 01:11 PM

Bailey-4
Alex-13.4
Tamba-5.42
Reid-2.42

I don't expect any of these 4 to be here next season. That's a little over $25 million next year alone and that's not counting Maclin.

The Chiefs actually are slotted to be $7.5 million in the negative in 2018, so I imagine we will see a big purge of older high dollar players either restructuring or coming off the books in 2018.

pugsnotdrugs19 05-13-2017 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12871064)
And you're assuming that a 22 year old kid can run the most complicated offense in the NFL after one season of running the scout team.

All NFL offenses are complicated, whether Reid's is the most or not is an unknown. Point is, a lot of young guys have taken over NFL offenses and been fine. Most of them in their rookie year even.

Reid is going to mold his offensive scheme and play calling to fit Mahomes as well as he can, just as he has done with Smith.

DaneMcCloud 05-13-2017 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12871079)
All NFL offenses are complicated, whether Reid's is the most or not is an unknown. Point is, a lot of young guys have taken over NFL offenses and been fine. Most of them in their rookie year even.

Reid is going to mold his offensive scheme and play calling to fit Mahomes as well as he can, just as he has done with Smith.

How many 22 year olds have "taken over" teams that have consistently won double digit games for five consecutive years and continued that streak?

Dorsey was with Green Bay when Rodgers sat for 3 full years.

They're not going to rush Mahomes, nor should they.

Halfcan 05-13-2017 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12871064)

I think that is a huge stretch.

Can PM2 do the following?

Hand off to the RB - Check
Throw a 2 yard slant - Check
Throw a horizontal pass - Check
Take snap, look off wide open receivers, then run out of bounds on third down- Check

He can already do everything Alex can do. :)

I am sure Andy will simplify the calls if he needs to so PM2 is not reading off a freaking dictionary to call a run play. Other QBs have stepped in during their Rookie years and had success, I don't see anything that will keep PM2 on the bench after 2 training camps, 8 Preseason games and an entire 2017 season to learn from our game manager.

pugsnotdrugs19 05-13-2017 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12871090)
How many 22 year olds have "taken over" teams that have consistently won double digit games for five consecutive years and continued that streak?

Most QBs don't get drafted by good teams in the first round, which is the beauty of Mahomes' situation. I've said it many times, if you want a young QB to succeed in this league, you'd better have the team around him to allow that. No QB can carry a team by himself in his first couple of years, if ever.

Mahomes gets to step on the field in 2018 (I firmly believe) with almost the entire stable of weapons currently on offense. The entire OL returns, and they are a solid bunch in pass pro. He also gets what should be one of the top 5-10 defenses in the league to lean on. That doesn't even include what they add next offseason.

The Favre/Rodgers scenario has no merit in this circumstance. Favre was a first ballot HOF QB who the fans loved more than probably any player in their franchise history at the time. None of those things can be said for Alex Smith. He's 33 years old, so if they wanted him to be playing for multiple years going forward, they wouldn't trade up and take Mahomes in the top 10 this year. They want to move on from the main thing that is holding them back, a lack of explosiveness in the passing game.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 05-13-2017 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12870913)
Alex's 2018 cap number is $20.6M and cutting him leaves $3.6M in dead money. It's $17M savings toward the cap.

All the OTC numbers are right as far as those go.

If Smith stays, they will restructure his contract based on how he plays in 2017. Very easy to move dead money into 2019

TigeRRUppeRRcut 05-13-2017 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12871103)
Most QBs don't get drafted by good teams in the first round, which is the beauty of Mahomes' situation. I've said it many times, if you want a young QB to succeed in this league, you'd better have the team around him to allow that. No QB can carry a team by himself in his first couple of years, if ever.

Mahomes gets to step on the field in 2018 (I firmly believe) with almost the entire stable of weapons currently on offense. The entire OL returns, and they are a solid bunch in pass pro. He also gets what should be one of the top 5-10 defenses in the league to lean on. That doesn't even include what they add next offseason.

The Favre/Rodgers scenario has no merit in this circumstance. Favre was a first ballot HOF QB who the fans loved more than probably any player in their franchise history. None of those things can be said for Alex Smith. He's 33 years old, so if they wanted him to be playing for multiple years going forward, they wouldn't trade up and take Mahomes in the top 10 this year. They want to move on from the main thing that is holding them back, a lack of explosiveness in the passing game.

Favre had a 4 win and an 8 win season right after Rodgers was drafted. If Smith wins 11-12 and gets us deep into the playoffs, there is no way in hell Mahomes takes over in 2018. Absolutely not.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 05-13-2017 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 12871095)
I think that is a huge stretch.

Can PM2 do the following?

Hand off to the RB - Check
Throw a 2 yard slant - Check
Throw a horizontal pass - Check
Take snap, look off wide open receivers, then run out of bounds on third down- Check

He can already do everything Alex can do. :)

I am sure Andy will simplify the calls if he needs to so PM2 is not reading off a freaking dictionary to call a run play. Other QBs have stepped in during their Rookie years and had success, I don't see anything that will keep PM2 on the bench after 2 training camps, 8 Preseason games and an entire 2017 season to learn from our game manager.

Clock management, read/option, progress thru multiple reads against NFL speed, make smart decisions, protect the football, call audibles, take big hits in the NFL....

There's a helluva lot more to the QB position than you think

pugsnotdrugs19 05-13-2017 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerUppercut (Post 12871114)
Favre had a 4 win and an 8 win season right after Rodgers was drafted. If Smith wins 11-12 and gets us deep into the playoffs, there is no way in hell Mahomes takes over in 2018. Absolutely not.

That is one massive, massive if there in bold.

Smith needs a Pro Bowl caliber season to stay alive here. Legitimate Pro Bowl, not alternate.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 05-13-2017 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12871090)

:clap:

TigeRRUppeRRcut 05-13-2017 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12871118)
That is one massive, massive if there in bold.

Smith needs a Pro Bowl caliber season to stay alive here. Legitimate Pro Bowl, not alternate.

There is no question he is progressing in this offense despite the huge decline in Maclin last season during that mental funk he went thru

QBR 50-> 56-> 61-> 63.4 (ranked 11th in the league)

pugsnotdrugs19 05-13-2017 01:40 PM

For those who keep pointing to the Rodgers/Favre thing.... what proof do you have that Rodgers wouldn't have been just as good if he started in his 2nd year? I mean, really?

It isn't his fault that he had an elite QB in front of him.

pugsnotdrugs19 05-13-2017 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerUppercut (Post 12871123)
There is no question he is progressing in this offense despite the huge decline in Maclin last season during that mental funk he went thru

I don't care what his QBR is, he couldn't muster more than 1 TD per game last season. He failed to put up more than 16 points against a mediocre Pittsburgh defense, at home, coming off a bye.

There are no excuses for that.

RunKC 05-13-2017 01:42 PM

Alex Smith was 27th in the NFL in TD passes last year with 15. That is horrendous and a complete waste of money.

Frosty 05-13-2017 01:43 PM

First of all, I think it's dumb to argue whether PM2 can run the offense or not when he hasn't done anything more than throw in rookie minicamp at this point.

That said, McNabb was only a year older than Mahomes and led the Eagles to a 11-5 season and a playoff win during his second season. McNabb wasn't known as being a football genius or anything. Reid just tailored to his strengths, which is what I think he would do if he decides Mahomes is ready, too. He isn't just going to throw the whole playbook at him or make him wait until he knows it inside an out. Reid didn't even do that with Alex the first couple of seasons.

Edit: Also, the is the Hunt thread but it seems like all threads degenerate to a QB thread eventually.

pugsnotdrugs19 05-13-2017 01:46 PM

I will also note that I do think Alex will open up his aggressiveness more than ever this year. He would be a pure moron not to, as the writing is on the wall.

This is likely his last chance to win with a contending team and if he doesn't let his balls hang a little more, he won't even start by December because this team won't be heading for the playoffs.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 05-13-2017 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12871128)
I don't care what his QBR is, he couldn't muster more than 1 TD per game last season. He failed to put up more than 16 points against a mediocre Pittsburgh defense, at home, coming off a bye.

There are no excuses for that.

Except he swept the division in the process putting the team on his back in thrilling fashion to beat the Chargers and Broncos. **** you and your Pittsburgh game horse shit. our starting field position was garbage because we didn't force punts. Our receivers dropped 5 important passes. West had a boneheaded fumble.

The ignorance is strong with you.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 05-13-2017 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 12871130)
Alex Smith was 27th in the NFL in TD passes last year with 15. That is horrendous and a complete waste of money.

QBR was 11th in the league. We were the #1 running team in 2015 but dropped to 20th last seasonPretty sure the trade up for Kareem Hunt speaks to what Dorsey perceived as the problem.

So quit acting like you know better than Dorsey.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 05-13-2017 01:52 PM

Completion % : 60 -> 65 -> 65 -> 67
Total Td's: 19 -> 22 -> 20

He's improving and the numbers show it. And he did so the past 2 years playing against a top 5 strength of schedule

pugsnotdrugs19 05-13-2017 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerUppercut (Post 12871141)
QBR was 11th in the league. We were the #1 running team in 2015 but dropped to 20th last seasonPretty sure the trade up for Kareem Hunt speaks to what Dorsey perceived as the problem.

1) We were never the #1 running team since Smith has been here. ROFL
2) You thought Dorsey knew better than us on Mahomes but we see how that worked out. :D

RunKC 05-13-2017 01:54 PM

Quote:

LMAO Dorsey traded up to get a real talent and get rid of an average QB. Hunt was drafted for now and the future.

I love Dorsey.

RunKC 05-13-2017 01:55 PM

Tiger is so hilarious. QBR will never mean more than points scored. That's what the scoreboard counts you moron.

pugsnotdrugs19 05-13-2017 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerUppercut (Post 12871139)
Except he swept the division in the process putting the team on his back in thrilling fashion to beat the Chargers and Broncos. **** you and your Pittsburgh game horse shit. our starting field position was garbage because we didn't force punts. Our receivers dropped 5 important passes. West had a boneheaded fumble.

Lets see... so he gets a pass for being complete dog shit in the first 3 quarters of the Chargers and Broncos games because he played well in the fourth? I see, I see.....

Great QBs don't need to make those comebacks because they don't wait until the fourth f**king quarter to drop their balls loose.

The Pittsburgh game was the same f**king thing, but that time he wasn't able to pull off his fourth quarter bullshit. Its great that he played well in the 4th, yeah, but if you suck ass for the first three, it really doesn't matter.

DaneMcCloud 05-13-2017 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12871103)

The Favre/Rodgers scenario has no merit in this circumstance. Favre was a first ballot HOF QB who the fans loved more than probably any player in their franchise history at the time. None of those things can be said for Alex Smith. He's 33 years old, so if they wanted him to be playing for multiple years going forward, they wouldn't trade up and take Mahomes in the top 10 this year. They want to move on from the main thing that is holding them back, a lack of explosiveness in the passing game.

I thoroughly disagree.

The Chiefs aren't in a rush to replace a QB that's won 12 games a year for the past two years, while suffering catastrophic injuries, with a 22 year old that hasn't taken first team snaps.

DaneMcCloud 05-13-2017 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12871135)
I will also note that I do think Alex will open up his aggressiveness more than ever this year. He would be a pure moron not to, as the writing is on the wall.

This is likely his last chance to win with a contending team and if he doesn't let his balls hang a little more, he won't even start by December because this team won't be heading for the playoffs.

Complete rubbish.

pugsnotdrugs19 05-13-2017 02:04 PM

In this video, the night PM2 was drafted, you've got Gruden saying that Reid can bring Mahomes out to KC for a year, train him, then let him loose to compete with Derek Carr and the Raiders.

Eat your heart out, Tigger.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jTfSx_ZvXLI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Baby Lee 05-13-2017 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12871151)
Lets see... so he gets a pass for being complete dog shit in the first 3 quarters of the Chargers and Broncos games because he played well in the fourth? I see, I see.....

Great QBs don't need to make those comebacks because they don't wait until the fourth f**king quarter to drop their balls loose.

The Pittsburgh game was the same f**king thing, but that time he wasn't able to pull off his fourth quarter bullshit. Its great that he played well in the 4th, yeah, but if you suck ass for the first three, it really doesn't matter.

It's like the last SB didn't even happen.

I'm not saying that Alex is Brady, but for the first 3 quarters, that was EVERYTHING you guys complain about Alex about from the Pats.

And even in the comeback, it was JUST AS MUCH the defense tightening [as opposed to being 'out of gas' like Alex somehow makes his own D], and the receivers making amazing plays, as it was Brady.

pugsnotdrugs19 05-13-2017 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 12871165)
It's like the last SB didn't even happen.

I'm not saying that Alex is Brady, but for the first 3 quarters, that was EVERYTHING you guys complain about Alex about from the Pats.

Tom Brady didn't make a habit out of that. He did it once. Also, it wasn't because he was being a pussy and wouldn't throw the ball down field or in tight windows.

With Alex, he just waited to nut up until he absolutely had to. Makes no sense.

Halfcan 05-13-2017 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerUppercut (Post 12871143)
Completion % : 60 -> 65 -> 65 -> 67
Total Td's: 19 -> 22 -> 20

He's improving and the numbers show it. And he did so the past 2 years playing against a top 5 strength of schedule

We KNOW what Alex did since we have watched every snap he has taken in red. I am not sure why you have to jump to his defense and keep trying to make him out to be Joe Montana. We get it...You LOVE Alex, you LOVE his timid ultra conservative style and LOVE that he always gets credit for wins in which he barely breaks 200 yards and throws zero TD's.

I hope he can be a mentor and pass the torch to a much younger and talented player. That will be his legacy from here on.

Baby Lee 05-13-2017 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12871168)
Tom Brady didn't make a habit out of that. He did it once. Also, it wasn't because he was being a pussy and wouldn't throw the ball down field or in tight windows.

With Alex, he just waited to nut up until he absolutely had to. Makes no sense.

I get it, I get it. The Chiefs have somehow always had the worst QBs in the history of the league, and that's the only thing keeping them from winning every SB in history.

Alex isn't immune from criticism, but I still contend that too many people judge his every false move solely against the weekly ESPN Top 10 highlight reel from the entire league.

Oh, Smith missed an open receiver. Oooooh, did you see that one good pass Dalton/Luck/Brees/Stafford made in a blowout loss?!?!?!

I'm ready for Mahomes to be ready, but if we cut Alex in the midst of continued TEAM success, particularly if Mahomes struggles AT ALL, we will be the new 49ers in the eyes of the entire league, with all that comes with it.

pugsnotdrugs19 05-13-2017 02:14 PM

I can't believe there are fans of this team that would rather them continue to be held back by average QB play then to take a chance and maybe actually go deep into the playoffs.

If only regular season wins meant jack shit in the grand scheme of things. Winning 9-12 games and being one and done every year is good enough for some of you. That has been the Chiefs way for decades now. Hasn't gotten them a Super Bowl since 1970.

But by all means, please, let Alex Smith run this offense in 2018. We'll wrap up another 5 seed as Oakland takes over the division. Woo!

Easy 6 05-13-2017 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12871163)
In this video, the night PM2 was drafted, you've got Gruden saying that Reid can bring Mahomes out to KC for a year, train him, then let him loose to compete with Derek Carr and the Raiders.

Eat your heart out, Tigger.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jTfSx_ZvXLI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah, gonna go with Chuckie on this one

People can say what they want about him... but he knows Andy Reid, he knows the WCO inside and out, and he was there when a very similar raw prospect was brought into Green Bay

2 camps + 2 offseasons + 2 preseasons = no reason why Mahomes cant be ready in 2018

pugsnotdrugs19 05-13-2017 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 12871177)
Yeah, gonna go with Chuckie on this one

People can say what they want about him... but he knows Andy Reid, he knows the WCO inside and out, and he was there when a very similar raw prospect was brought into Green Bay

2 camps + 2 offseasons + 2 preseasons = no reason why Mahomes cant be ready in 2018

That is so much time, so much opportunity to prepare.

Anyone who thinks Smith is here as the starter in 2018 is clinging to pure hope and fantasy.

DaneMcCloud 05-13-2017 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12871172)
I can't believe there are fans of this team that would rather them continue to be held back by average QB play then to take a chance and maybe actually go deep into the playoffs.

If only regular season wins meant jack shit in the grand scheme of things. Winning 9-12 games and being one and done every year is good enough for some of you. That has been the Chiefs way for decades now. Hasn't gotten them a Super Bowl since 1970.

But by all means, please, let Alex Smith run this offense in 2018. We'll wrap up another 5 seed as Oakland takes over the division. Woo!

This is ****ing complete bullshit from someone younger than Mahomes.

:facepalm:

It's REALISTIC to assume that Alex Smith will be a Chief in 2018 because Mahomes is young and may not be ready to assume the mantle at the beginning of 2018. Clark Hunt, Andy Reid and John Dorsey aren't going to sacrifice wins over cap space, especially when, at this point in time, there's no one else on the roster with NFL game experience.

It has everything to do with reason and nothing to do with want.

RunKC 05-13-2017 03:43 PM

Dane,

What if Mahomes looks really good in preseason and camp? I would think if that happens they would be more inclined to roll with him in 2018.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 05-13-2017 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12871247)

It's REALISTIC to assume that Alex Smith will be a Chief in 2018 because Mahomes is young and may not be ready to assume the mantle at the beginning of 2018. Clark Hunt, Andy Reid and John Dorsey aren't going to sacrifice wins over cap space, especially when, at this point in time, there's no one else on the roster with NFL game experience.

You're crushing his dream of winning the bet he has with me where I said Smith will be on the roster in 2018 and more likely than not, the starter after training camp

TigeRRUppeRRcut 05-13-2017 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 12871250)
Dane,

What if Mahomes looks really good in preseason and camp? I would think if that happens they would be more inclined to roll with him in 2018.

Under WHAT circumstance ? If Mahomes looks great in next year's camp, that still doesn't mean he's going to translate when he plays on the big stage. Also, if Smith builds on his progress as a Chief and has a 4,000 yard season, 25 total td season with a strong run in the playoffs there is no way you can pass on restructuring him so he can be a mentor for Mahomes thru another season. 2 full years of film study with the 4th winningest QB over the last 6 seasons is something you just don't pass on. Unless you want to go from contender to 7 win season despite having a talented "win now" roster.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 05-13-2017 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12871124)
For those who keep pointing to the Rodgers/Favre thing.... what proof do you have that Rodgers wouldn't have been just as good if he started in his 2nd year? I mean, really?

It isn't his fault that he had an elite QB in front of him.

Because all the pundits speak to how those years on the bench gave him time to absorb the playbook, mature as an individual, and most importantly work on his throwing mechanics. That is stuff you just don't learn in 1 season.

pugsnotdrugs19 05-13-2017 03:51 PM

Quote:

I don't know why this is hard to figure out for some. I guess it is a false perception of Alex Smith.

This team is ready to win a championship, but they are held back by a mediocre QB. We haven't had a consistently good offense under Smith to date. Constantly in the bottom half of the league.

Mahomes gets two offseasons and a full regular season to be ready. He gets all of that time to surpass 3500 passing yards and a 15/8 TD/INT ratio. How hard can that really be?

The shoes that Mahomes will be filling aren't exactly big ones.

pugsnotdrugs19 05-13-2017 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerUppercut (Post 12871253)
You're crushing his dream of winning the bet he has with me where I said Smith will be on the roster in 2018 and more likely than not, the starter after training camp

The bet is that Smith is the starter in 2018... which he won't be.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 05-13-2017 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12871260)
The bet is that Smith is the starter in 2018... which he won't be.

You better not pull some Tonya Harding crazy ****.

Easy 6 05-13-2017 04:00 PM

Quote:

I honestly think you're overstating what it takes to get a sharp kid to a basic 'ready level' in the WCO

You're said earlier that if Mahomes starts in 2018 that we're looking at 7-9 or 9-7 at best... I just cannot envision that kind of precipitous dropoff, not with the kind of loaded team Mahomes will have around him

Not looking for a knock down drag out with you here (but I'm game :D)... but you're shortselling the kids ability to learn quickly, and overselling how long it will take to get him huddle ready IMO

You've surely seen the clip where Gruden says 1 year, why doubt him?

He knows what it takes to get a guy ready to play in the WCO

TigeRRUppeRRcut 05-13-2017 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12871151)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12871158)
I thoroughly disagree.

The Chiefs aren't in a rush to replace a QB that's won 12 games a year for the past two years, while suffering catastrophic injuries, with a 22 year old that hasn't taken first team snaps.

Yup. And Management is well aware that Smith despite having shit for tight end and receiver year 1 still mustered up an awesome season. Year two they witness dwayne bowe play like a complete loser yet Smith still made him look like he was starter worthy (funny how the shithead couldn't even make the Browns starting lineup) while helping Kelce develop into a star. Every playoff loss they had to go without Charles and Ware missed the New england game which put the ball in the hands of fumbling queen Knile Davis. Justin Houston has been non-existent in the playoffs.

The problem is not Smith, although yes his ceiling is lower than a handful of other QBs, but he's been the best option for this team to be a winning franchise every single year since 2013 since we missed the chance to draft russell wilson the year prior.

Nickhead 05-13-2017 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12871263)
Football outsiders DVOA is not the actual rushing rankings. Jesus.

You also don't trade up into the top 10 from 27 for Pat Mahomes if your QB isn't holding your entire team back. ROFLROFL

you should be banned for being too logical :D

TigeRRUppeRRcut 05-13-2017 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12871263)
Football outsiders DVOA is not the actual rushing rankings. Jesus.

You also don't trade up into the top 10 from 27 for Pat Mahomes if your QB isn't holding your entire team back. ROFLROFL

You're totally clueless. There is no precedent like we are witnessing. You are making up a rationale for the trade up that is NOT concordant with Dorsey/Reid's interviews. They know Smith will AT LEAST be around for the next year with no guarantee for the following year if he were to have a serious injury. So what better opportunity then to draft a raw kid who has the ability to learn from a 12 year veteran. How many 12 year veteran QBs are in the league right now with the winning record like Smith's this side of the decade?

Common sense.

pugsnotdrugs19 05-13-2017 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerUppercut (Post 12871269)
You're totally clueless. There is no precedent like we are witnessing. You are making up a rationale for the trade up that is NOT concordant with Dorsey/Reid's interviews. They know Smith will AT LEAST be around for the next year with no guarantee for the following year if he were to have a serious injury. So what better opportunity then to draft a raw kid who has the ability to learn from a 12 year veteran. How many 12 year veteran QBs are in the league right now with the winning record like Smith's this side of the decade?

Common sense.

All I can do is laugh. LMAO LMAO

How about the precedent when Andy said he ideally would like a rookie QB to develop for one year? --> http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2017/5...-a-year-to-sit

It's sad. You're clinging to this average ass QB who they so clearly want to replace with a more talented player. Does he need his one year to develop? Sure, but it's go time in 2018 for the Chiefs. Andy Reid and John Dorsey don't have forever left on their careers. They are pushing their chips in on PM2, just as they did on Draft night.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 05-13-2017 04:24 PM

The last paragraph of your link

"Mahomes was considered very raw so it’s possible the Chiefs bump that up to two years since Alex Smith is still under contract. That wouldn’t surprise me. In fact, I’m getting mentally prepared for Mahomes on the bench for two years. Maybe I’ll be pleasantly surprised after one year."

So there's that.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 05-13-2017 04:26 PM

Get off the kids nuts and enjoy Chiefs football until he's ready to be the full-time starter. He is far from ready

Easy 6 05-13-2017 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerUppercut (Post 12871280)
The last paragraph of your link

"Mahomes was considered very raw so it’s possible the Chiefs bump that up to two years since Alex Smith is still under contract. That wouldn’t surprise me. In fact, I’m getting mentally prepared for Mahomes on the bench for two years. Maybe I’ll be pleasantly surprised after one year."

So there's that.

Favre was a raw 2nd rounder for Atlanta in 91, then started the 4th game of 92 for the Packers after being traded

He was ready to roll less than a year after arriving in Green Bay, if he can do that... Mahomes can certainly do it with twice the amount of prep time

pugsnotdrugs19 05-13-2017 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerUppercut (Post 12871283)
Get off the kids nuts and enjoy Chiefs football until he's ready to be the full-time starter. He is far from ready

'Far' as in a year and a half. Funny that you are trying to tell someone to get off a player's nuts...

You better just hope this team isn't sitting at 5-8 come December or Mahomes will play in 2017.

TigeRRUppeRRcut 05-13-2017 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12871289)
'Far' as in a year and a half. Funny that you are trying to tell someone to get off a player's nuts...

You better just hope this team isn't sitting at 5-8 come December or Mahomes will play in 2017.

If this team is 5-8 in December it'll be because Smith got injured. We already know he can string wins together without a solid TE, RB or receiver.

Baby Lee 05-13-2017 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12871172)

For me, I'm ready for Mahomes to play when he and Reid agree he's ready.

The problem is, until then, I am NOT ready for YET ANOTHER YEAR of [being out of the KC area] the only Chiefs fans I interact with constantly grousing, griping, bitching, whining and praying for tragedy, anything and everything to move Mahomes into the starting role on THEIR timetable.

DaneMcCloud 05-13-2017 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 12871266)
I honestly think you're overstating what it takes to get a sharp kid to a basic 'ready level' in the WCO

You're said earlier that if Mahomes starts in 2018 that we're looking at 7-9 or 9-7 at best... I just cannot envision that kind of precipitous dropoff, not with the kind of loaded team Mahomes will have around him

Not looking for a knock down drag out with you here (but I'm game :D)... but you're shortselling the kids ability to learn quickly, and overselling how long it will take to get him huddle ready IMO

You've surely seen the clip where Gruden says 1 year, why doubt him?

He knows what it takes to get a guy ready to play in the WCO

Gruden's never developed a single QB in the NFL.

Regardless, your expectations are too high. Everyone that's seen Mahomes (as well as the other QB's in this class) felt they needed at least a year on the bench, if not more, to be ready to play in the NFL.

Look, I was "banging the table" for Mahomes back in the beginning of January, so it's not as if I didn't or don't want him. The Chiefs would be absolutely dead to me this year if they hadn't moved up and drafted a QB (with Mahomes being my #1 guy). But for ****'s sake, give the kid a chance to mature and grow into the position.

There is absolutely no reason to go full on "Cortez" and burn the QB position to the ground in 2018.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12665511)
This is where the extra picks come in handy.

If they like Mahomes at their 1st round spot, grab him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12665970)
I don't think it would be a "reach" to take a guy that needs some development.

With the Chiefs drafting at the bottom of each round, they'll either need to trade away the farm for a chance at a guy or draft a developmental guy.

As much as some people seem to be against Mahomes in the late first, I feel better about developing him than Paxton Lynch, whom I never felt comfortable drafting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12692339)
I'll take Pat Mahomes in the first, Alex.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12693651)
Hell at this point, I'd trade for Garopollo if it meant no Alex Smith.

I've been a past supporter but if he's the starting QB in 2017, I'll seriously question whether or not I purchase the Sunday Ticket for the 15 consecutive year.

DaneMcCloud 05-13-2017 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 12871300)

The problem is, until then, I am NOT ready for YET ANOTHER YEAR of [being out of the KC area] the only Chiefs fans I interact with constantly grousing, griping, bitching, whining and praying for tragedy, anything and everything to move Mahomes into the starting role on THEIR timetable.

:clap:

pugsnotdrugs19 05-13-2017 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 12871300)

I'm in full agreement with the first part of that. But I just don't see any reason why he isn't going to be ready in the coaching staff's eyes at the start of 2018.

I think the odds swing far more in the direction of him being ready than not.

Easy 6 05-13-2017 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12871303)
Gruden's never developed a single QB in the NFL.

Regardless, your expectations are too high. Everyone that's seen Mahomes (as well as the other QB's in this class) felt they needed at least a year on the bench, if not more, to be ready to play in the NFL.

Look, I was "banging the table" for Mahomes back in the beginning of January, so it's not as if I didn't or don't want him. The Chiefs would be absolutely dead to me this year if they hadn't moved up and drafted a QB (with Mahomes being my #1 guy). But for ****'s sake, give the kid a chance to mature and grow into the position.

There is absolutely no reason to go full on "Cortez" and burn the QB position to the ground in 2018.

Hey man, its very cool that you were in on Mahomes from the jump... you were way ahead of me for sure, I didnt know jack about him until after the draft

But if you felt that strongly about him, why is it so hard to think that 2 full camps etc etc etc wont be enough to get him to a workable proficiency?

Favre was every bit as raw as this guy, but he went to Green Bay and successfully started in much less time than Mahomes will have should he start in 2018

Bookmark these posts to burn me with next year, I could certainly be wrong... but there is some real history to look back at, and knowledgeable NFL people who have been there and done that echoing my feelings

We'll see how it goes down, but 'The Kid' just seems to have the It factor that makes me ready for change... and horny LMAO

His arm talent is hardcore football porn

SAUTO 05-13-2017 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerUppercut (Post 12871139)

What was our average starting field position in the playoff game against pitt? What is the league average? I'm asking because I'm genuinely curious. And you obviously know right off the top of your head because you keep saying this.

SAUTO 05-13-2017 06:35 PM

Quote:

Dorsey was also the guy who traded up in the first and gave up MUCH more for a qb. What does that speak to what dorsey perceived as the problem? Are you trolling?:shake: