ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers Google introduces Chromecast - 35 bucks?!? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274767)

hometeam 12-11-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 10267991)
Man, that's horseshit. They really better change that.

This device could be infinitely more useful if they'd just ease up on their silly stranglehold on the content....

I found out it wont let you stream Amazon Prime video in chromecast tab :(

DaFace 12-11-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10269813)
I found out it wont let you stream Amazon Prime video in chromecast tab :(

A friend of mine mentioned that. I'll be curious to see how that all shakes out. On the one hand, Amazon has to want to get their video service on more devices. On the other hand, they want to keep people on their own flavor of Android, so cooperating with a Google device might not be the way they want to go. Time will tell.

hometeam 12-11-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 10269830)
A friend of mine mentioned that. I'll be curious to see how that all shakes out. On the one hand, Amazon has to want to get their video service on more devices. On the other hand, they want to keep people on their own flavor of Android, so cooperating with a Google device might not be the way they want to go. Time will tell.

It gives you some error about quicktime, not something like 'this content provider doesnt want you to watch its shit' so I have hope that it really is more of a technical glitch, rather than a pure F YOU to google by Amazon.

SLAG 12-11-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10269853)
It gives you some error about quicktime, not something like 'this content provider doesnt want you to watch its shit' so I have hope that it really is more of a technical glitch, rather than a pure F YOU to google by Amazon.

i'm pretty sure it works - I think its just a glitch

SLAG 12-11-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 10267991)
Man, that's horseshit. They really better change that.

This device could be infinitely more useful if they'd just ease up on their silly stranglehold on the content....

to be fair this is Plex's decision not Google's

DaFace 12-13-2013 05:45 PM

Really long, in-depth article about Google's strategy with the Chromecast if anyone's interested

http://gigaom.com/2013/12/13/chromec...n-new-devices/

Fire Me Boy! 12-13-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 10275161)
Really long, in-depth article about Google's strategy with the Chromecast if anyone's interested

http://gigaom.com/2013/12/13/chromec...n-new-devices/

Bullets?

bowener 12-13-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 10275162)
Bullets?

No. That is there 2017 plan. To begin manufacturing automated wifi rifles and with smartBullet® technology.

bowener 12-13-2013 06:07 PM

I expect to see a TV brand start selling sets with the Chromecast hardwired in. That seems like a logical jump as they phase out GoogleTV.

DaFace 12-13-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 10275162)
Bullets?

High points:
  • International expansion is a high priority for next year.
  • GoogleTV is a failure, but Chromecast has wildly exceeded their expectations.
  • SDK still isn't out, but "hundreds" are developing for it. Once the SDK is out, it could be a torrent of new apps.
  • The goal is to create an ecosystem - not a device. In other words, third-party devices running Google Cast are likely in the long-term future. Think Android's strategy rather than iPhone.

DaFace 12-26-2013 10:02 AM

Got one for Christmas, so I can now get outside the realm of outside observer. :)

SuperChief 12-26-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 10311140)
Got one for Christmas, so I can now get outside the realm of outside observer. :)

This makes me LMAO. You haven't been using one this entire time? Who woulda known.

DaFace 12-26-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperChief (Post 10311532)
This makes me LMAO. You haven't been using one this entire time? Who woulda known.

Yeah, I know. I've been excited about the possibilities of the technology, so I've been following it very closely. However, as someone who's had an HTPC for over a decade and currently has two Smart TV's and a third with a Roku box, I've already had plenty of options for YouTube and Netflix. This is a fun toy, but I just couldn't justify buying it when there weren't really any new capabilities it would bring me.

I'm mostly excited that vendors who don't often show up in apps on those other systems will be able to jump on board with this easily once Google finally gets off their asses and finalizes the SDK.

Great Expectations 12-26-2013 04:47 PM

I have what I feel like is a safe way to download torrents to my phone. I wish they'd let you stream saved content from your phone.

DaFace 12-26-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 10311787)
I have what I feel like is a safe way to download torrents to my phone. I wish they'd let you stream saved content from your phone.

I THINK you can do that with Avia, but not 100% sure of that.