ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Countertops (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271257)

mikeyis4dcats. 03-17-2013 10:35 PM

Countertops

Tell me about your countertops - granite, quartz, solid surface.

What did you go with?
What do you / don't you like about them.
What would you do different?

Go!

BWillie 03-17-2013 10:46 PM

I'll be listening to the input too. I'd like to do granite and I also saw somebody say something about "granite veneer" to save on cost? I mean if that is cheaper and looks basically the same what difference would it make?

DaneMcCloud 03-17-2013 10:46 PM

We've had granite in the kitchen since 2003 and I'd never buy granite again. It's difficult to maintain, there are seams and overall, it's just a bitch.

In 2005, we renovated the master bath and used a brand of quartz. It's seamless, looks great, feels great, doesn't stain and doesn't require any maintenance. Some day soon, we'll re-do the kitchen with quartz.

Good luck!

Ming the Merciless 03-17-2013 11:03 PM

granite veneer is a thin slice of granite on top of some other(existing) material......it should look feel and perform fairly similarly, i believe..should be cheaper than whole slabs and doing a full treplacement

I'd recommend going into a counter top shop, a higher end one and looking at a bunch of really nice setups just to get an idea of the different products...

they have so many engineered/formica and other options with a crazy amount of colors and patterns

Phobia 03-17-2013 11:04 PM

I have concrete counters. They're awesome. But I made them and they're expensive. Not for everybody. If I were a general consumer, I'd buy quartz all day long. If I were a consumer on a budget I'd buy granite. I wouldn't ever do laminate, not even in a rental. Especially not in a rental.

SAUTO 03-17-2013 11:05 PM

I really want stained concrete...
Posted via Mobile Device

Ming the Merciless 03-17-2013 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9510177)
I have concrete counters. They're awesome. But I made them and they're expensive. Not for everybody. If I were a general consumer, I'd buy quartz all day long. If I were a consumer on a budget I'd buy granite. I wouldn't ever do laminate, not even in a rental. Especially not in a rental.

spoken like someone who owns zero rental property

stevieray 03-17-2013 11:37 PM

I can paint your counters to look like granite..or marble..or limestome...

:doh!:

Simply Red 03-17-2013 11:39 PM

ornamental gold is a fine fine choice for granite.

Simply Red 03-17-2013 11:41 PM

Italian Slate countertops. Are entirely badass and look pimp + original. Heavy like the dickens though, so be careful there.

Phobia 03-17-2013 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 9510224)
spoken like someone who owns zero rental property

Yeah, that's probably fair. Renters would probably destroy good counters too. But if I had to install today, the price of granite has fallen far enough that it's affordable even for those who were candidates for laminate.

Ming the Merciless 03-17-2013 11:42 PM

had a buddy who made his own concrete counter tops, **** they were heavy

Simply Red 03-17-2013 11:45 PM

hold on - nothing else matters until we get sub contractor of the year Overhead's opinion on countertops.

Simply Red 03-17-2013 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 9510244)
had a buddy who made his own concrete counter tops, **** they were heavy

have you ever licked a chick's ass?

Ming the Merciless 03-17-2013 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9510243)
Yeah, that's probably fair. Renters would probably destroy good counters too. But if I had to install today, the price of granite has fallen far enough that it's affordable even for those who were candidates for laminate.

i might consider it but i can go to home depot , grab a formica counter top for like a hundred bux off the shelf, throw it in my truck, cut it down to size myself, cut the sink hole out myself with a 30$ jig saw, and install it myself easily and the apartment/house rented tomorrow

all without caring if they wreck it....which is still pretty tough as the new formicas are probably actually harder to **** up than many other options