ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports Muhammad Ali Marathon on ESPN Classic (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=188325)

JimNasium 08-02-2008 02:02 PM

Muhammad Ali Marathon on ESPN Classic

It looks like they are running his fights chronologically. I hated Ali as a kid but have grown to appreciate his brilliance over time. I really miss that boxing era. I especially have enjoyed watching the interaction between Ali and Cossell.

Skip Towne 08-02-2008 02:06 PM

I'm watching it. It brings back memories. I hated Ali early on too but it soon became obvious the "Louisville Lip" was more than just talk. He could drop his hands and they still couldn't hit him.

JimNasium 08-02-2008 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne (Post 4885753)
I'm watching it. It brings back memories. I hated Ali early on too but it soon became obvious the "Louisville Lip" was more than just talk. He could drop his hands and they still couldn't hit him.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming Frasier fights. :clap:

RJ 08-02-2008 02:14 PM

Boxing was a great sport back then and the heavyweights were the best part. Ali, Frazier, Quarry, Foreman, Bonavena, Spinks......Everybody knew those names and championship fights were a big deal.

I'm told that today the UFC fights are more popular than boxing. Is that true?

FAX 08-02-2008 02:16 PM

Thanks for the heads up, Mr. JimNasium.

My father hated Ali, but I always liked him. His refusal to serve in Vietnam while willing to step into the ring with a man/beast like Frazier was paradoxical - as was his conversion to Islam. He was a man for the times, to be sure. Someday, there will be another heavyweight with his combination of speed, size, power, and ability to take a punch, but they are very rare.

FAX

RJ 08-02-2008 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne (Post 4885753)

I remember the first Ali/Frazier fight. Every kid I knew had an opinion about who would win but the opinions seemed to be divided by the political leanings of our parents. It was bigger than boxing.

Ali really was The Greatest, IMO.

JimNasium 08-02-2008 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ (Post 4885767)
Boxing was a great sport back then and the heavyweights were the best part. Ali, Frazier, Quarry, Foreman, Bonavena, Spinks......Everybody knew those names and championship fights were a big deal.

I'm told that today the UFC fights are more popular than boxing. Is that true?

I'll bet most of us would have trouble naming more than 5 heavyweights who are actively boxing right now. :shake:

RJ 08-02-2008 02:19 PM

I certainly can't.

JimNasium 08-02-2008 02:20 PM

He just brutalized Jerry Quarry in this fight. Wow.

J Diddy 08-02-2008 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimNasium (Post 4885786)
I'll bet most of us would have trouble naming more than 5 heavyweights who are actively boxing right now. :shake:

I couldn't

I could tell you 5 mma fighters though

Skip Towne 08-02-2008 02:23 PM

The "Thrilla in Manila" was the best fight I've ever seen. Duran - Leonard 1 was a close second.

Bowser 08-02-2008 02:24 PM

Rausch will be PISSED if he misses this.

RJ 08-02-2008 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 4885797)
I couldn't

I could tell you 5 mma fighters though

That's what my 30 y/o son tells me. I watched some of those mma (?) fights with him a few weeks ago. He knew every fighter on the card. But he says that he and his friends, all sports fans, don't watch much boxing at all.

I wonder what happened?

Skip Towne 08-02-2008 02:32 PM

This next one should be good. Bonavena gave Ali all he wanted IIRC.

'Hamas' Jenkins 08-02-2008 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne (Post 4885807)
The "Thrilla in Manila" was the best fight I've ever seen. Duran - Leonard 1 was a close second.

What about Hagler-Hearns?