ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Canning... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268146)

Fire Me Boy! 12-29-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9250302)
My parents do a lot of it. They're 72.

Not sure what I'm saying there.

I get it. Not common for a 34-year-old man to be canning...

Fire Me Boy! 12-29-2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threebag02 (Post 9250292)
Sand Plum Jelly is the ****ing best.

This wine jelly is pretty great.

Just Passin' By 12-29-2012 09:42 PM

My first two years of gardening produced improving yields, but not enough to can after eating and giveaways. I'm hoping to have enough to start canning this year. The plan to increase tomatoes about 5 times over should lead to a lot of canned tomatoes and red sauce, if nothing else.

Other than that, the closest I've come to canning so far is making and storing my own oil infusions.

threebag 12-29-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9250322)

If you have ever climbed through a plum thicket the reward is worth every scrape, scratch, and cut.

trndobrd 12-29-2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9250322)

Got a recipe to share?

htismaqe 12-29-2012 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 9250327)
My first two years of gardening produced improving yields, but not enough to can after eating and giveaways. I'm hoping to have enough to start canning this year. The plan to increase tomatoes about 5 times over should lead to a lot of canned tomatoes and red sauce, if nothing else.

Other than that, the closest I've come to canning so far is making and storing my own oil infusions.

Bloody Mary mix...yum. ;)

Fire Me Boy! 12-30-2012 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trndobrd (Post 9250504)
Got a recipe to share?

Sure, from America's Test Kitchen (the folks that do Cook's Illustrated). This is in their DIY cookbook, from which I'll be attempting homemade bacon and pancetta at some point in the near future...

Ingredients

750ml bottle of red wine
3.25 c. sugar
1 (3-oz.) package of LIQUID pectin
3 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/8 tsp. butter

Note from me: The wine doesn't need to be expensive, it's a good way to use a cheap bottle of wine; but if you can afford it, a decent wine will only improve the jelly's flavor. I used a $10 bottle of Rosemount Estate's 2010 Shiraz, which is one of my favorite everyday bottles. I also wanted to use a wine that I was really familiar with, so I could see how the jelly compared with the wine, which I know quite well. The author notes he prefers Merlot.

Directions

1. Bring 1 1/4 c. wine to boil in small saucepan over medium-high heat, and cook until reduced to 1/3 c., 15-20 minutes.

2. Bring remaining wine and sugar to boil in large saucepan, stirring frequently. Stir in pectin, lemon juice, and butter, and return to vigorous boil, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in reserved reduced wine.

3. Transfer jelly to jars with tight-fitting lids, let cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate. Let jelly set for 12-24 hours. Jelly can be refrigerated for at least 2 months.

Makes about four 1-cup jars.

CANNING: If you want to can it, double the recipe. Ladle jelly while still hot into hot, sterilized 1-cup jars. Leave 1/4-inch headspace at the top, and process in boiling water bath for 5 minutes (or longer, depending on altitude). It's better to overprocess than under.

chefs fan in omaha 12-30-2012 07:42 AM

When evaluating women:
1. Can you make gravy from scratch, or do you buy it in a jar.
2. Can you can foods?

UberSparky 12-30-2012 08:13 AM

I am 34, my wife and I can from our own garden and butcher our own livestock. Country living is making a comeback.

Pasta Little Brioni 12-30-2012 08:15 AM

Peyton Canning

Fire Me Boy! 12-30-2012 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chefs fan in omaha (Post 9250847)
When evaluating women:
2. Can you can foods?

:thumb:

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9250873)
Peyton Canning

ROFL

Fire Me Boy! 12-30-2012 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chefs fan in omaha (Post 9250847)
When evaluating women:
2. Can you can foods?

My father-in-law is a pretty good cook, but he often takes shortcuts. But on Thanksgiving and Christmas he goes all out. Big turkey, stuffing from scratch, scratch-made pies, real mashed potatoes, homemade green bean casserole, etc. And then he dumps the turkey drippings in the garbage and breaks out the packaged just-add-water gravy mix........

:cuss: :banghead:

Predarat 12-30-2012 09:46 AM

Hope cHunt knows how to do this and cans his stupid ass GM.

trndobrd 12-30-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9250836)
Sure, from America's Test Kitchen (the folks that do Cook's Illustrated). This is in their DIY cookbook, from which I'll be attempting homemade bacon and pancetta at some point in the near future...

Ingredients

750ml bottle of red wine
3.25 c. sugar
1 (3-oz.) package of LIQUID pectin
3 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/8 tsp. butter

Note from me: The wine doesn't need to be expensive, it's a good way to use a cheap bottle of wine; but if you can afford it, a decent wine will only improve the jelly's flavor. I used a $10 bottle of Rosemount Estate's 2010 Shiraz, which is one of my favorite everyday bottles. I also wanted to use a wine that I was really familiar with, so I could see how the jelly compared with the wine, which I know quite well. The author notes he prefers Merlot.

Directions

1. Bring 1 1/4 c. wine to boil in small saucepan over medium-high heat, and cook until reduced to 1/3 c., 15-20 minutes.

2. Bring remaining wine and sugar to boil in large saucepan, stirring frequently. Stir in pectin, lemon juice, and butter, and return to vigorous boil, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in reserved reduced wine.

3. Transfer jelly to jars with tight-fitting lids, let cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate. Let jelly set for 12-24 hours. Jelly can be refrigerated for at least 2 months.

Makes about four 1-cup jars.

CANNING: If you want to can it, double the recipe. Ladle jelly while still hot into hot, sterilized 1-cup jars. Leave 1/4-inch headspace at the top, and process in boiling water bath for 5 minutes (or longer, depending on altitude). It's better to overprocess than under.

Thanks! Can't wait to give it a try.

Molitoth 12-30-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9250873)
Peyton Canning

Bah, beat me to it.