ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Teicher:DeVito, an addition to the Chiefs’ defensive line, can’t wait to get started (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271416)

Tribal Warfare 03-23-2013 08:22 PM

Teicher:DeVito, an addition to the Chiefs’ defensive line, can’t wait to get started

DeVito, an addition to the Chiefs’ defensive line, can’t wait to get started
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star
Mike DeVito won’t be on the field for the plays that fans pay good money to see, the ones featured on highlight shows.

He won’t play much for his new team, the Chiefs, on passing plays. But DeVito, a veteran defensive lineman, signed recently after six seasons with the New York Jets, wouldn’t have it any other way.

He prefers the dirty work of playing on running downs.

“There’s nothing else I’d rather be doing,” DeVito said. “I want to hit and be physical every play. If I don’t hit somebody, I know something is wrong. That first- and second-down run game, that’s where I live. That’s what I enjoy. I want to continue to try to get better at that and improve my craft.”

With the Jets, DeVito was good enough against the run that the Chiefs signed him on the day the free-agent market opened. One of New York’s coaches last season was Bob Sutton, the new Chiefs’ defensive coordinator.

“He played a big part in me coming here,” DeVito said. “I played for Bob for six years, and he’s somebody I have a ton of respect for. He’s a guy you want to give your all for.

“He’s a guy who really helped me progress. He took an interest in me even though he was a defensive coordinator, and then a linebackers coach, and I was a defensive lineman, and he helped me get better. He’s make sure I was keeping up on my techniques and my habits.”

The Chiefs relied on Sutton’s recommendation in signing DeVito.

“DeVito is one of those blue-collar guys,” general manager John Dorsey said. “He lines up. He plays. He gives you everything he’s got. He’s tenacious. Football is very important for him.”

DeVito can play all the defensive-line positions. He will most likely wind up at end in the starting spot vacated when Glenn Dorsey signed as a free agent with the San Francisco 49ers.

DeVito’s football background is about as far from Glenn Dorsey’s as can be. Dorsey was drafted by the Chiefs with the fifth overall pick in 2008; DeVito joined the Jets the previous season as an undrafted free agent.

Dorsey played in college at LSU, where he was a member of a national championship team.

DeVito played at Maine, a Division I-AA school.

“I remember when I first came into the league, it was like, ‘Lord, just let me just make practice squad for one year,’ ” DeVito said. “Then it was, ‘Lord, let me just make the team this year.’ Then it was, ‘Lord, let me just sign this new contract.’ To hit this point in my career, to get this contract and to be a part of this organization, I can’t speak enough about how blessed I am.”

The Chiefs will ask DeVito to help improve a weak run defense. They were among the weakest teams in the NFL last season in yards allowed per opponent’s rushing attempt.

DeVito will usually come out of the lineup on obvious passing downs. But he will be asked to rush the quarterback when the opponent throws on early downs, and that’s where he wants to show improvement.

DeVito had just 2½ sacks in six seasons with New York.

“I want to continue to bring an aspect of the pass rush, as well,” DeVito said. “I have some things set up to help me grow as a pass rusher, as well. I’ve got a lot of great pass-rush tape. Sometimes the best way to work on the pass rush is to watch guys do it. I’ve got some tape of guys going out there making plays and rushing the passer and just see what guys are using and what’s working.”

The Chiefs begin their offseason conditioning program April 1, with practices beginning later in the month.

They can’t start soon enough for DeVito.

“I’m going to continue to work out and be ready to hit the ground running when I get here,” DeVito said. “I want to be in great shape. I’m going to go back and study some of that pass-rush stuff. I think it’s really important to go back and grade myself from the film from last year, see where I went wrong, see what I can improve on.

“Trust me, I’m ready to roll today. If they opened this thing up today, I’m ready to go. I’m excited about it. I’m going to be on the edge of my seat every night.”

Dayze 03-23-2013 08:34 PM

lot to live up to, considering we have Jackson. he'll have his hands full

Fritz88 03-23-2013 08:38 PM

http://i.imgur.com/XvFopQT.gif

Ace Gunner 03-23-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9524576)
lot to live up to, considering we have Jackson. he'll have his hands full

don't you mean Meat Hooks Jackson :)

Ace Gunner 03-23-2013 08:57 PM

srsly tho, I was hoping those two would switch end positions and maybe Jackson would become a somewhat formidable pass rush presence from that RDE position. fook mi.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lr...hewbo1_500.png

Easy 6 03-23-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz88 (Post 9524582)

:LOL: if that gif doesnt completely encompass my thoughts, i dont know what would.

Shaddup and get busy, johnny lunchpail...

Dayze 03-23-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz88 (Post 9524582)

LMAO LMAO

where the hell is that from?

I'm nearly in tears.

mcaj22 03-23-2013 09:22 PM

lol at the first two sentences of this article. sorry i cant get excited for a part time player who is utterly useless in the most important part of the game today. AND HES SELF AWARE OF IT

Fritz88 03-23-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9524680)
LMAO LMAO

where the hell is that from?

I'm nearly in tears.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0472160/

KCChiefsFan88 03-23-2013 10:16 PM

KC Star is writing the same articles over and over again.

(Insert name) can't wait to get started.

Blah Blah Blah Blah.

How about something more substantive... such as why won't the Chiefs buck a 30 year trend of not drafting a QB in the first round.

Easy 6 03-23-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 9524824)
KC Star is writing the same articles over and over again.

(Insert name) can't wait to get started.

Blah Blah Blah Blah.

How about something more substantive... such as why won't the Chiefs buck a 30 year trend of not drafting a QB in the first round.

I miss Blabb.

Dayze 03-23-2013 10:37 PM

"Chiefs Looking Forward To Trying To Win in 2013"

Hammock Parties 03-23-2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9524882)
"Chiefs Looking Forward To Trying To Win in 2013"

Someone should come out with a parody blog where they write fake Chiefs new that's the exact OPPOSITE of what the KC Star shits out.

Quote:

DeVito, an addition to the Chiefs’ defensive line, is not looking forward to this shit.

By Adam Teicher

Mike DeVito won’t be on the field for the plays that fans pay good money to see, the ones featured on highlight shows.

He won’t play much for his new team, the Chiefs, on passing plays. DeVito, a veteran defensive lineman, signed recently after six seasons with the New York Jets, is pissed the **** off about it.

In fact, he ****ing loathes the dirty work of playing on running downs.

“There's other shit I’d rather be doing,” DeVito said. “I don't want to hit and be physical every play. If I don’t hit somebody, maybe my ****ing knees will work in 30 years. That first- and second-down run game, that will kill you. That’s shitty. I don't want to continue to try to get better at that and improve my craft, because I will die from this pounding.”

With the Jets, DeVito was good enough against the run - and sucked in all other facets of his play - that the Chiefs signed him on the day the free-agent market opened. One of New York’s coaches last season was Bob Sutton, the new Chiefs’ defensive coordinator.

“He played a big part in me coming here,” DeVito said. “I played for Bob for six years, and he’s somebody I have absolutely no respect for. He’s a guy you want to give the finger to, because **** busting your ass for the shitty Jets and Chiefs."

Dayze 03-23-2013 10:53 PM

exactly. the interviews are completely, ****ing useless.

as if they're going to give anything other than canned, cliche answers.

like, why even ****ing bother to even conduct an 'interview'.

this is a great idea .

Dayze 03-23-2013 10:57 PM

"Chiefs Plan on Using Helmets This Year"