ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Archives (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Marty McDonald Being Interviewed on WHB Right Now (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=14923)

FloridaChief 01-04-2001 04:46 PM

St. Louis wants a 1st and 4th for DV.
Chiefs believe Rams are due NOTHING due to the way his contract had been structured.

58Forever 01-04-2001 04:50 PM

What a stroke of genius if Carl can pull this one off without having to give up any comp...then I might actually call him King Carl out of respect...in another story I read both he and Lamar feel like they shouldn't have to give up comp...Lamar has some pull with the league...can't say the same about Georgia Fronteniere or whatever the hell her name is...

The very best they should get is a 3rd and a 4th... :p to you Rams

FloridaChief 01-04-2001 04:59 PM

It sure will be interesting to see how this comes out, if it does go to arbitration.

However Vermeil's contract was structured, I find it hard to believe that KC won't have to give up something to the Rams.

Anybody have any thoughts about how this kind of thing might go down if the NFL has to settle the compensation question?

Phobia 01-04-2001 05:03 PM

If the NFL has to step in, I think we'll have to provide more compensation than we would have if we were able to resolve amongst ourselves. The NFL doesn't like to step into silly squabbles between teams.

FloridaChief 01-04-2001 05:24 PM

Could it be possible, as is being suggested on WHB, that KC is being so covert on details (Haven't admitted Gun's been fired, or that they're even negotiating w/ Vermeil, etc...) is that Carl is trying to work a deal to get D.V. in "exchange" for sending Gunther to St. Louis to be their DC next year?

Intriguing...

Phobia 01-04-2001 05:37 PM

Doubt it, FlaChief. Gun's being fired. We don't own his rights any longer if we can him. He may do as he wishes.

FloridaChief 01-04-2001 05:53 PM

No, KPhob--I know Gun's fired. I'm talking about some sort of back-handed, back room deal that might have Vermiel coming to KC w/ the Rams blessings (Seems unlikely, everything I hear suggests that Rams mgmnt. is furious right now--they feel betrayed by DV by even negotiating w/ another team)

Gun, now out of a job, may welcome going to St.L as their DC, and at the same time, this in itself, might placate the Rams.

Yeah, know it's out there. But a thought I found interesting nevertheless.

Tribal Warfare 01-04-2001 05:59 PM

Concerning the interview, did it sound like Peterson is going to pull it off? Or are Chiefs going to get screwed with the compensation?

[This message has been edited by ChiefPriority (edited 01-04-2001).]

Frazod 01-04-2001 06:10 PM

I hope we don't have to give the Lambs a g#ddamn thing. Screw 'em! If I were a neutral observer in all this, I'd say that this whole thing is being handled badly. But I'm biased as hell, and I fully support Carl's efforts to fuck the universe if it gets us a decent coaching staff and hopefully a Superbowl win!

NO MORE MR. NICE GUY! :mad: GO CARL!

------------------
Frazod

Have I ever mentioned that I hate Denver?
http://www.geocities.com/cannibal1970/devil.gif

NaptownChief 01-04-2001 06:22 PM

Those Sons of B!tches only gave a two and five for Marshall Faulk yet they think a 60 year old coach is worth a one and a four...I'd give them a fifty pound bag of $hit and not a dime more... :mad:

------------------
[b]Leading the Dan Morgan bandwagon</B>

Frazod 01-04-2001 06:25 PM

I concur, jl. I used to root for St. Louis because they were from Missouri (if they weren't playing the Chiefs). That all ends this day. fuck ST. LOUIS! :mad:

I may not even root for the Cardinals any more after this!

------------------
Frazod

Have I ever mentioned that I hate Denver?
http://www.geocities.com/cannibal1970/devil.gif

G_Man 01-04-2001 06:29 PM

From sporting news:

One source familiar with the situation, speaking on condition of anonymity, told The Associated Press that Cunningham, a respected defensive coordinator until he became head coach, might take a similar position with St. Louis to lessen the compensation due the Rams.

Interesting... <P>

NaptownChief 01-04-2001 06:32 PM

After they look at game film of our defense this year they will want two 1st rounders to go along with that 4th... :D

------------------
[b]Leading the Dan Morgan bandwagon</B>

FloridaChief 01-04-2001 06:34 PM

Let me try to sum up everything as I understand it at the moment.

There are 2 sides to this story:

1. The Rams say that Vermeil left very much of his own accord after the 1999 season. They also insist that DV gave them a verbal promise that he would NEVER consider coaching in the NFL again, and should he change his mind down the road, that he would only consider coming back to the Rams. They feel that DV has betrayed them by negotiating with KC w/o acknowledging St. Louis 1st. They want compensation (1st and 4th rnd picks). They may also want DV to return the $2M bonus paid after the Super Bowl.

2. The Chiefs--and this is conjecture,as KC is saying nothing officially at the moment--say that when preliminary negs. began, Vermeil said he was more or less forced out of StL cuz the Rams were afraid they would lose Mike Martz to another team if he wasn't promoted to HC following the SB season. Carl/Lamar are looking closely into the revelation to see if it provides an "out"--in other words, they prefer not to give up anything to get DV.

This could get really interesting in the next few days...

MrBlond 01-04-2001 06:37 PM

Maybe Carl is not going to fire Gunther. Maybe he is going to replace him as HC. If he does not fire Gunther, would'nt that keep Gun from going to Denver as DC? That is the kind of hardass GM Carl is. If he makes Gun honor his contract as something like advisor, or scout and Gun quits wouldnt a new team such as STL or Den or WASH owe us compensation? Just a thought.