ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Top DC Candidate (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268579)

O.city 01-07-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9293066)
But answer me this: When is "Coach Speak" not Coach Speak? How can you be absolutely certain that he didn't mean what he said? That he was going to evaluate the position and NOT choose a QB, just to choose a QB and that he may choose a QB next year?

I'm sorry, but I have to leave open the possibility that he's telling the truth. I also believe it's possible that they pass on a QB at #1 overall.

True.

But I don't really see next years class being even close to this years class.

Red Beans 01-07-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9293052)
This is what everyone should want. They should want an evaluation, and not some asshole coming in here with his mind already made up like the last GM who I won't even dignify with a name anymore.

Instead, there's going to be some on here who go all crazy if Geno Smith isn't the guy.

I want a QB in here too, but I also wanted new leadership first and foremost. I trust that new leadership can identify QBs since that's what a majority of them have done an incredible job with a majority of their careers.

:clap:

The Bad Guy 01-07-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9293070)
Just read that Campbell and Moore are free agents, where did you see that they weren't?

And thats been the biggest knock on Vick everywhere he's been.

Actually you are right, Campbell is a free agent. I thought he signed a 2 year deal.

Moore is as well. I thought he signed his 2 year deal for 5 million last offseason.

I would be fine with Moore, but if you think Campbell is more accurate and can read a defense better than Vick, I don't know what you've been watching.

DeezNutz 01-07-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9293066)
But answer me this: When is "Coach Speak" not Coach Speak? How can you be absolutely certain that he didn't mean what he said? That he was going to evaluate the position and NOT choose a QB, just to choose a QB and that he may choose a QB next year?

I'm sorry, but I have to leave open the possibility that he's telling the truth. I also believe it's possible that they pass on a QB at #1 overall.

Absolutely he's going to evaluate the roster in great depth. I wouldn't expect anything less, but I don't think making that statement, while true, makes any news. Kind of like saying after a loss, "We need to execute better." Well, no shit.

What he's not going to do is give any indication of how he'll fix the QB situation in KC.

Now, I agree that he might not take a QB at 1/1, but I think it's an absolute lock that we won't get beyond the #33 overall pick without selecting a QB who will be penciled in to start next season at some point.

O.city 01-07-2013 04:25 PM

And yes, there will be some on here that will shit ass bricks if it isn't Geno.

But for the most part, I think the majority feel that Wilson, Smith, and Barkley would all be good picks.

Or atleast thats how I feel.

DaneMcCloud 01-07-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9293052)
This is what everyone should want. They should want an evaluation, and not some asshole coming in here with his mind already made up like the last GM who I won't even dignify with a name anymore.

Instead, there's going to be some on here who go all crazy if Geno Smith isn't the guy.

I want a QB in here too, but I also wanted new leadership first and foremost. I trust that new leadership can identify QBs since that's what a majority of them have done an incredible job with a majority of their careers.

Exactly.

The man is considered a QB "Guru" and there's little evidence to doubt his judgements over the years. If he passes or trades out at #1, I'm good with it.

This isn't 2012 or 2004 or 1983.

The Bad Guy 01-07-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9293083)
And yes, there will be some on here that will shit ass bricks if it isn't Geno.

But for the most part, I think the majority feel that Wilson, Smith, and Barkley would all be good picks.

Or atleast thats how I feel.

I would hope so. I think there are going to end up being really good QBs from this class. I just don't know which 2 or 3 will really pan out. There's no slam dunk for me. Each has a red flag.

O.city 01-07-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9293079)
Actually you are right, Campbell is a free agent. I thought he signed a 2 year deal.

Moore is as well. I thought he signed his 2 year deal for 5 million last offseason.

I would be fine with Moore, but if you think Campbell is more accurate and can read a defense better than Vick, I don't know what you've been watching.

I didn't think Campbell was bad in a WCO, but he's not elite accuracy wise.

I just don't think Vick fits Reid's style of offense. He can read a defense, just not fast enough.

htismaqe 01-07-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9293040)
This forum is all about Geno Smith as a Franchise QB. Yet every single article I read elsewhere says that this draft doesn't have a Franchise QB.

And every single one of those articles mention RG3 and Andrew Luck.

The simple fact is that this year's class is being judged unfairly.

htismaqe 01-07-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9293091)
I would hope so. I think there are going to end up being really good QBs from this class. I just don't know which 2 or 3 will really pan out. There's no slam dunk for me. Each has a red flag.

This.

DaneMcCloud 01-07-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9293080)
Absolutely he's going to evaluate the roster in great depth. I wouldn't expect anything less, but I don't think making that statement, while true, makes any news. Kind of like saying after a loss, "We need to execute better." Well, no shit.

What he's not going to do is give any indication of how he'll fix the QB situation in KC.

Now, I agree that he might not take a QB at 1/1, but I think it's an absolute lock that we won't get beyond the #33 overall pick without selecting a QB who will be penciled in to start next season at some point.

I agree with what you've said but I just don't see "Coach Speak" in his remarks. I thought it was as thoughtful an answer an incoming head coach could answer at this point.

Although if evaluating Cassel, Quinn and Stanzi takes more than three days, I'll be concerned. :D

htismaqe 01-07-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9293086)
Exactly.

The man is considered a QB "Guru" and there's little evidence to doubt his judgements over the years. If he passes or trades out at #1, I'm good with it.

This isn't 2012 or 2004 or 1983.

It also isn't 2007, either.

And I don't think there's any chance in hell we trade out of #1.

If we don't want a QB, nobody else does either. If you take out the QBs, there's literally TWO blue chip prospects in this draft and the Chiefs could use both of them.

We're not trading out because we won't be able to find a willing partner.

DaneMcCloud 01-07-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9293095)

Fairly or unfairly, that will be the standard moving forward.

The Bad Guy 01-07-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9293095)

It absolutely is.

It's like going to a 5 star steak house one night, and then saying "There's no good steak anywhere else". Or if you date a super model in high school that doesn't mean you can't date a solid 8 later on in life.

Those 2 guys are once in a generation talents (although Shanny may have killed RG).

O.city 01-07-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9293091)

Yeah they do.

I will say that I think alot of the Red Flags from Geno have more to do with his defense and some things that weren't necessarily his fault, but he's the QB, that's inevitably on him.

Same with Barkley. He was considered a really high pick last year, yet doesn't have the same skillset? I think he would fit really well in a Reid system.

Wilson had a shit ton of off field stuff go on in Fayettville this year, that absolutely weren't his fault and the attitude stuff, IMO, is a little out of proportion.

So yeah, there isn't a slam dunk ala Luck, but thats hardly the case and great QB's get drafted alot.

There is a guy in there, and for the first time in a while, I think the Chiefs staff are competent and rather good at id'ing said guy.

htismaqe 01-07-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9293102)
Fairly or unfairly, that will be the standard moving forward.

Not for smart people, it won't be.

htismaqe 01-07-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9293104)
It absolutely is.

It's like going to a 5 star steak house one night, and then saying "There's no good steak anywhere else". Or if you date a super model in high school that doesn't mean you can't date a solid 8 later on in life.

Those 2 guys are once in a generation talents (although Shanny may have killed RG).

Exactly.

O.city 01-07-2013 04:33 PM

Hell, the draft with Manning, Rivers, Rothlisberger wasn't even regarded to be as good as last years.

The Bad Guy 01-07-2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9293106)
Yeah they do.

I will say that I think alot of the Red Flags from Geno have more to do with his defense and some things that weren't necessarily his fault, but he's the QB, that's inevitably on him.

Same with Barkley. He was considered a really high pick last year, yet doesn't have the same skillset? I think he would fit really well in a Reid system.

Wilson had a shit ton of off field stuff go on in Fayettville this year, that absolutely weren't his fault and the attitude stuff, IMO, is a little out of proportion.

So yeah, there isn't a slam dunk ala Luck, but thats hardly the case and great QB's get drafted alot.

There is a guy in there, and for the first time in a while, I think the Chiefs staff are competent and rather good at id'ing said guy.

I just can't take anyone seriously that's going to tell me Geno suffered because of his defense.

The team suffered because of his defense. If anything, his stats were inflated some because they threw so much to keep up.

If a bad defense impacts a QB in that way, then I would say his psyche has an issue.

But I don't put one ounce of stock in the defense mentally tarnished Geno.

htismaqe 01-07-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9293120)
Hell, the draft with Manning, Rivers, Rothlisberger wasn't even regarded to be as good as last years.

Another this.

O.city 01-07-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9293128)
I just can't take anyone seriously that's going to tell me Geno suffered because of his defense.

The team suffered because of his defense. If anything, his stats were inflated some because they threw so much to keep up.

If a bad defense impacts a QB in that way, then I would say his psyche has an issue.

I'm not really talking about mentality. More that people bash him for not getting leads or pulling his team from behind, when he did get them a lead late in the fourth quarter against TCU and OU.

If those leads hang up, he gets credit for beating a top 7 defense vs the pass and a defense that is constantly one of the better ones in college football.

htismaqe 01-07-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9293128)

The defense didn't make him play worse.

But he's getting some of the blame the defense should be getting.

Prime example - Geno takes the blame for ALL FIVE of the 5 losses down the stretch.

Anybody that watched the OU game saw him WIN that game with the go-ahead score, only to watch the defense go Greg Robinson and lose the game.

The Franchise 01-07-2013 04:38 PM

Exactly.....I've seen plenty of people complain that you don't take a QB who went 7-5 in the Big 12 first overall.

It's ****ing moronic.

Tstej 01-07-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9292542)
Dom Capers...

What incentive does he have to leave Green Bay? He's a great defensive mind but I think he has it pretty good there.

O.city 01-07-2013 04:38 PM

And really, I know I'll get knocked like shit for this, but I'm just not completely sold on RGIII as a pocket passer. He can't continue to play like he did this year, he doesn't have the size. When he can't run, his passing took a hit this year (not specifically yesterday, other games this season).

Hes just so gifted mentally and physically I think he'll get there, but as far as a passer he has a ways to go.

O.city 01-07-2013 04:44 PM

And honestly, trading for Freeman wouldn't piss me off the way it would others. Yeah, teams don't trade franchise QB's, but Schiano wants to win his way, ala, Pioli. Dude is still young.

DementedLogic 01-07-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9292996)
If it's Kiffin, it's going to be Marinelli.

But I have a hard time believing they are hiring the line coach before the DC. Castillo is absolutely going to be the OLine caoch. Andy feels he owes it to him after how he was let go in Phi.

I thought it was weird that they would hire D-Line coach before DC as well. She said she didn't ask any questions, it just came up in conversation at her office. She swears he said offensive coach, but that doesn't make sense. Although Reid did take an O-Line coach to DC, so you can't put it past him.

DaneMcCloud 01-07-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9293113)
Not for smart people, it won't be.

LMAO

Buehler445 01-07-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9293135)
The defense didn't make him play worse.

But he's getting some of the blame the defense should be getting.

Prime example - Geno takes the blame for ALL FIVE of the 5 losses down the stretch.

Anybody that watched the OU game saw him WIN that game with the go-ahead score, only to watch the defense go Greg Robinson and lose the game.

That's a damn tall order. Are you sure it was THAT bad?:evil:

Hootie 01-07-2013 04:56 PM

this place cracks me up

RGIII goes from the toast of the NFL to having a game where he got injured and tried to play through it (and failing miserably) to suddenly being a guy no one wants anymore.

Unbelievable.

I feel bad for whatever poor guy has to come in here and play QB. Half of our fan base wouldn't even hypothetically trade our #1 pick for Aaron Rodgers.

Good luck big guy!!

DaKCMan AP 01-07-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Tasty Cheeks (Post 9293182)
this place cracks me up

RGIII goes from the toast of the NFL to having a game where he got injured and tried to play through it (and failing miserably) to suddenly being a guy no one wants anymore.

Unbelievable.

I feel bad for whatever poor guy has to come in here and play QB. Half of our fan base wouldn't even hypothetically trade our #1 pick for Aaron Rodgers.

Good luck big guy!!

You crack me up. You enter every thread and start a baseless argument with yourself. No one here wouldn't take RGIII. Stop arguing with yourself.

Ace Gunner 01-07-2013 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9291272)
As I mentioned on this site days before any media last week, the top DC candidate for the Chiefs is going to be Monte Kiffin. He would also bring Rod Marinelli as his line coach.

I've been told it's his job to turn down and they think he wants it.

I think Kiffin has evolved some and doesn't run a straight Tampa 2 anymore, but and the personnel is an interesting fit.

Dorsey would be in huge consideration to be re-signed.

Hali, Dorsey, Poe, ?

Houston, ?, DJ - I think DJ would slide into the Derrick Brooks role.

I hated the hire at first, but I'm not completely against it now. I hate the Tampa 2 defense, but I think Kiffin recognizes he can't run that solely with the offenses of today.

Will be interesting. Just thought I'd share.

Dorsey? Glenn Dorsey? ROFL

Hootie 01-07-2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9293189)
You crack me up. You enter every thread and start a baseless argument with yourself. No one here wouldn't take RGIII. Stop arguing with yourself.

I read half of the dudes post where he started with "not being sold with RGIII as a pocket passer" and kind of overreacted, some also stems from my hypothetical "who would you trade the #1 pick for" thread where people were already turning on RGIII...and many said no to Aaron Rodgers.

Insane.

BigMeatballDave 01-07-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz_TinBalls (Post 9293193)
Dorsey? Glenn Dorsey? ROFL

Yes. In a 4-3.

MahiMike 01-07-2013 05:16 PM

Was really hoping Carolina would fire Ron Rivera...(

That being said, maybe Kiffin is like every other head coach that fails. Peter Principle got to him and he'll be better back as a coordinator.

htismaqe 01-07-2013 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9293176)
LMAO

So you think smart football people are gonna say "he's no Andrew Luck, can't take him at #1"?

If so, then ROFL

htismaqe 01-07-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Tasty Cheeks (Post 9293199)
I read half of the dudes post where he started with "not being sold with RGIII as a pocket passer" and kind of overreacted, some also stems from my hypothetical "who would you trade the #1 pick for" thread where people were already turning on RGIII...and many said no to Aaron Rodgers.

Insane.

RG3s inability to stay healthy ALREADY is a HUGE concern. To act like it isn't is silly.

Anybody that wouldn't trade for Aaron Rodgers is a moron. Case closed.

DaKCMan AP 01-07-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 9293226)
Was really hoping Carolina would fire Ron Rivera...(

That being said, maybe Kiffin is like every other head coach that fails. Peter Principle got to him and he'll be better back as a coordinator.

Huh? Monte Kiffin isn't a HC.

htismaqe 01-07-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9293223)
Yes. In a 4-3.

Broke.

Dick.

Dorsey.

O.city 01-07-2013 05:25 PM

So if a QB now has to be Luck to draft him first overall, why don't other players have to be held to that esteem?

Qb is so important nowadays, seems that it would be worth the risk/

O.city 01-07-2013 05:26 PM

Dorsey has knee problems, but if he'd come cheap, he'd be ok depth.

htismaqe 01-07-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9293254)
So if a QB now has to be Luck to draft him first overall, why don't other players have to be held to that esteem?

Exactly.

Might as well just pass on our pick.

Jarvis Jones is no Von Miller.

Luke Joeckel is no Orlando Pace.

There's literally NOBODY there to pick.

Easy 6 01-07-2013 05:45 PM

While this IS supposed to be a defensive coordinator thread, i'm really glad to see many people open to the idea that their guy may not be "the guy" and are putting their trust in a quarterback savvy HC to make the right call for his team.

We ALL want a #1 quarterback, but its nice to know that many of you wont go ballistic if it isnt Smith, although i'd bet it will be.

BigRedChief 01-07-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DTLB58 (Post 9291307)
Instead of starting another thread, Peter King mentioned today in MMQB that he thinks Reid will bring Todd Pedersen with him (QB coach) and promote him to OC.

Because i hear that Childress turned him down.

BigRedChief 01-07-2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 9293306)
While this IS supposed to be a defensive coordinator thread, i'm really glad to see many people open to the idea that their guy may not be "the guy" and are putting their trust in a quarterback savvy HC to make the right call for his team.

We ALL want a #1 quarterback, but its nice to know that many of you wont go ballistic if it isnt Smith, although i'd bet it will be.

I'm on board with that because of Reid's history.

He believes you have to have a top QB to be successful in the NFL and his system. He's the one that believed in Brett Farve, refined him. Believed a black QB could be successful. Got Jeff Garcia to the league championship game.

He's got our QB back.

DaneMcCloud 01-07-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9293247)
So you think smart football people are gonna say "he's no Andrew Luck, can't take him at #1"?

If so, then ROFL

No, it's the suggetion that NFL fandom includes "smart people".

DaneMcCloud 01-07-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9293254)

Qb is so important nowadays, seems that it would be worth the risk/

No one said he "has to be Luck".

But it's foolish to think that any QB taken in the near future won't be compared to Luck. And it won't be pretty.

O.city 01-07-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9293359)

But it's foolish to think that any QB taken in the near future won't be compared to Luck. And it won't be pretty.

No, it won't be pretty.

Buts is not correct to think he has to be that type of prospect to be a successful franchise QB.

Hammock Parties 01-07-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9293356)

Some of them think Cassel could be Trent Green 2.0.

Easy 6 01-07-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9293348)
I'm on board with that because of Reid's history.

He believes you have to have a top QB to be successful in the NFL and his system. He's the one that believed in Brett Farve, refined him. Believed a black QB could be successful. Got Jeff Garcia to the league championship game.

He's got our QB back.

Exactly, his awareness of the importance of the position, combined with a resume full of successful QB's, should be enough to placate even the most die hard of cynics.

O.city 01-07-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9293365)
Some of them think Cassel could be Trent Green 2.0.

You're being overly quiet on the Freeman front. Wanna trade for him?

DaneMcCloud 01-07-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9293364)
No, it won't be pretty.

Buts is not correct to think he has to be that type of prospect to be a successful franchise QB.

Then what is the definition of a Franchise QB?

O.city 01-07-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9293375)

So an Andrew Luck type prospect is your only definition of a franchise QB? He has to be a once in a generation type prospect to be considered a potential franchise QB?

Molitoth 01-07-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9293375)

IMO it's a QB that has proven to be good enough to build your franchise around. Though I'm not a big fan of the term "franchise".

DaneMcCloud 01-07-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9293381)
So an Andrew Luck type prospect is your only definition of a franchise QB? He has to be a once in a generation type prospect to be considered a potential franchise QB?

Whoa. There's a difference between a Franchise QB and a "potential" Franchise QB.

If you're choosing a QB #1 overall, you'd better be damn certain he's a franchise QB, or heads will roll.

O.city 01-07-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9293398)
Whoa. There's a difference between a Franchise QB and a "potential" Franchise QB.

If you're choosing a QB #1 overall, you'd better be damn certain he's a franchise QB, or heads will roll.

Well, according to scouts and the intrawebs, there have only been 2 or 3 certain franchise QB's in the draft.

You evaluate, take the guy you like best, build around him and see what happens.

Then you hope and pray.

htismaqe 01-07-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9293356)

Well yeah, there's that. :D

htismaqe 01-07-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9293359)

Actually, LOTS of people have said that.

Just about every "against" post here, every Mel Kiper or Todd McShay scouting report, every draft segment on NFLN starts with "well, he's no Andrew Luck".

It isn't just the fanbase. ESPN and NFLN are full of the same idiots.

the Talking Can 01-07-2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

"oh noes, it risky"

nothing is certain...for the love of god people...

what great hex will descend upon us if we dare to draft a QB #1 and he isn't John Montana Elway Brady the 3rd?

i can't believe people still think this way after 30 god damn years of absolute ****ing bullshit at the QB position...

KC kid 01-07-2013 06:42 PM

We all want a "franchise quarterback" so bad it hurts. I know I do. However, if the best talent evaluators in the game determine that no quarterback is worth the risk at one and a stud is available at another premier position that you need, you have to trust their evaluation and deal with it. Now, if this was Scott Pioli or Carl Peterson making the pick, you have every right to jump and scream and talk about aids trees and shit. This is a new dawn, a new day though. I am on board until this regime proves otherwise.

Mother****erJones 01-07-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

I think now a days with the structure of the slotting system for draft picks, it allows to get away from a mistake in the top 10 easier

KC kid 01-07-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9293442)
I think now a days with the structure of the slotting system for draft picks, it allows to get away from a mistake in the top 10 easier

You're right, it does, but you can't just waste the number one pick on a long shot.

the Talking Can 01-07-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC kid (Post 9293436)
We all want a "franchise quarterback" so bad it hurts. I know I do. However, if the best talent evaluators in the game determine that no quarterback is worth the risk at one and a stud is available at another premier position that you need, you have to trust their evaluation and deal with it. Now, if this was Scott 'Team-killer' 'Team-killer' Pioli or Carl Peterson making the pick, you have every right to jump and scream and talk about aids trees and shit. This is a new dawn, a new day though. I am on board until this regime proves otherwise.

"worth the risk"

but there's no risk in drafting another ****ing LB when you have the worst collection of QB in the league?

sorry, their job is to identify the best QB in this draft AND DRAFT HIM

period

after 30 years, it is time to AT LEAST TRY ONCE

the Talking Can 01-07-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC kid (Post 9293448)
You're right, it does, but you can't just waste the number one pick on a long shot.

so risky....oh no

Mother****erJones 01-07-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC kid (Post 9293448)

But with a guy like Reid and no clear cut no 1 player anywhere, and if you cant trade out then we need the most value at no 1 and thats QB

the Talking Can 01-07-2013 06:47 PM

i hate this fanbase...but you already knew that

RealSNR 01-07-2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC kid (Post 9293436)
We all want a "franchise quarterback" so bad it hurts. I know I do. However, if the best talent evaluators in the game determine that no quarterback is worth the risk at one and a stud is available at another premier position that you need, you have to trust their evaluation and deal with it.

There ****ing isn't.

I wouldn't take Jarvis Jones in the top 10 at all.

Manti Te'o? Don't get me started.

And all the LTs are slapdicks. If it's a big deal that there aren't any Andrew Lucks, it's an even more glaring deal that there aren't any Joe Thomases.

Would you rather draft a sub-par QB or a sub-par LT? Because that's what it comes down to this year at #1. I don't know about you all, but I'd rather roll the dice on the QB and take the upside that comes with it.

Mother****erJones 01-07-2013 06:48 PM

Jarvis Jones has got like ****ing spinal stenosis. AKA narrowing of the spine. I like him but QB is what is killing us not pass rusher. Im not into a MLB at no 1. He isnt Ray Lewis.

RealSNR 01-07-2013 06:49 PM

That is, of course, if you believe the myth about the sub-par QBs at #1 this year.

I don't. But you good little followers should listen to Kiper and do what he says. It's part of your weirdass stupid religion to do so, I get it.

KC kid 01-07-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9293453)
so risky....oh no

I am not risk averse. . . but I do not put all my money in winning the lottery either. I am not saying you do not take a QB at one. I am not a QB guru like these guys are. If they determine that they don't think any of the college qbs are worth dick shit, then go another direction.

I think there is a lot to be written yet on what scouts think of these qbs after pro days, interviews, and combines. We have only heard from talking heads at this point.

KC kid 01-07-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9293457)
There ****ing isn't.

I wouldn't take Jarvis Jones in the top 10 at all.

Manti Te'o? Don't get me started.

And all the LTs are slapdicks. If it's a big deal that there aren't any Andrew Lucks, it's an even more glaring deal that there aren't any Joe Thomases.

Would you rather draft a sub-par QB or a sub-par LT? Because that's what it comes down to this year at #1. I don't know about you all, but I'd rather roll the dice on the QB and take the upside that comes with it.

I keep reading that Luke Joeckel is a Joe Thomas type player though. We will see what happens over the next few months with the draft board.

the Talking Can 01-07-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC kid (Post 9293467)
I am not risk averse. . . but I do not put all my money in winning the lottery either. I am not saying you do not take a QB at one. I am not a QB guru like these guys are. If they determine that they don't think any of the college qbs are worth dick shit, then go another direction.

I think there is a lot to be written yet on what scouts think of these qbs after pro days, interviews, and combines. We have only heard from talking heads at this point.

lottery ticket

jesus...

have fun drafting a LT...

KC kid 01-07-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9293460)
Jarvis Jones has got like ****ing spinal stenosis. AKA narrowing of the spine. I like him but QB is what is killing us not pass rusher. Im not into a MLB at no 1. He isnt Ray Lewis.

I agree. I would not **** with narrowing of the spine.

KC kid 01-07-2013 06:55 PM

Right now, until one of these quarterbacks separates from the pack, you could put 5-7 of these qbs in a hat and pick one. If you're odds are one in seven in getting the right one, it doesn't matter if you pull the first name out of the hat or the last name.

That being said, I REALLY hope one of these guys rises up and differentiates himself.

AustinChief 01-07-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9293457)

Ok this is complete bullshit. Joeckel and Lewan aren't worth a top 3 pick (IMHO) but they are NOT slapdicks. That's just dumb. Hell, Lewan held up fantastically versus Clowney... not exactly something a "slapdick" should be able to say.

I do however agree that I'd rather risk it on a QB IF our coaches/scouts think one has the upside. I'm sure after the combine this talk will all be moot.

the Talking Can 01-07-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC kid (Post 9293492)
Right now, until one of these quarterbacks separates from the pack, you could put 5-7 of these qbs in a hat and pick one. If you're odds are one in seven in getting the right one, it doesn't matter if you pull the first name out of the hat or the last name.

That being said, I REALLY hope one of these guys rises up and differentiates himself.

man, that's dumb...

Sassy Squatch 01-07-2013 06:59 PM

Any news on the DC front?

DaneMcCloud 01-07-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9293433)
"oh noes, it risky"

nothing is certain...for the love of god people...

what great hex will descend upon us if we dare to draft a QB #1 and he isn't John Montana Elway Brady the 3rd?

i can't believe people still think this way after 30 god damn years of absolute ****ing bullshit at the QB position...

Is that what *I* said? No.

Look around. All of the talking heads are saying there is no Franchise QB in this year's draft. No where did I say that the Chiefs shouldn't take a guy #1 overall.

keg in kc 01-07-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9293502)
Lewan held up fantastically versus Clowney...

He had a bunch of penalties and Clowney had clearly worn him down by the end. I wouldn't touch the guy anywhere in the top 10 (course I've long thought that...)

keg in kc 01-07-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9293512)
Look around. All of the talking heads are saying there is no Franchise QB in this year's draft. No where did I say that the Chiefs shouldn't take a guy #1 overall.

These are the same talking heads who had Griffin going between 8 and 10 at this time last year.