ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs begin scheming to fit Brady Quinn (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=264838)

Mr. Laz 10-08-2012 06:00 PM

Chiefs begin scheming to fit Brady Quinn

Chiefs start crafting offensive plan with Quinn at QB

BY ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

DAVID EULITT
Chiefs quarterback Brady Quinn will most likely start on Sunday.

Romeo Crennel’s first act as Chiefs head coach last December was to name Kyle Orton as the new starting quarterback. In making the announcement, Crennel expressed plenty of confidence that Orton could help the Chiefs win.

Crennel is now on the verge of making another quarterback change, this one forced by the concussion to Matt Cassel. Crennel didn’t sound on Monday as confident in Brady Quinn, the probable starter in Sunday’s game against the Buccaneers in Tampa, as he was in Orton.

“Kyle is a more experienced guy,’’ Crennel said. “This is a different scenario and a different situation. I know Brady will be ready to play, and Brady is going to do everything he can to help this team win.’’

Having given that less-than-resounding endorsement, Crennel and the Chiefs on Monday began the process of making the quarterback switch. Even at that, Crennel wasn’t ready to declare that Cassel was out for Sunday’s game.

“Not totally, but just from what I’ve seen about concussions, they can be difficult,’’ Crennel said. “The individual is the thing. Some individuals recover faster than others. With the emphasis on concussions in the league, they’re making sure we do due diligence on the player’s health and making sure he’s not rushed back.

“They’re going to run several tests to see where he is. Generally, concussions are not good, but we’re concerned about the safety and welfare of the player and we’re going to give him an opportunity to get well. In the meantime, Brady Quinn has to get ready to play, and Ricky Stanzi has to be ready to play.’’

Still, the Chiefs began crafting the offensive plan for next Sunday’s game with Quinn as their quarterback. It presumably will be a little different than the plan for Sunday’s 9-6 loss to Baltimore, one in which the Chiefs tried 50 running plays but only 18 passes.

“We have to look at the strength of every player we’re going to play in the game. The things Brady does well, we have to tilt the game plan toward those things. If we didn’t, we wouldn’t be very good coaches.’’

The Chiefs won’t have their first practice session of the week until Wednesday. Tight end Tony Moeaki said he didn’t think the transition from Cassel to Quinn would be complicated.

“We did all that work with him in training camp, and he takes reps in practice,’’ Moeaki said. “So we’ll be comfortable if Brady has to go and we’ll make it work.’’

stonedstooge 10-08-2012 06:04 PM

Going to continue to run Jamaal into the ground I presume?

KCUnited 10-08-2012 06:05 PM

Holy shit a Moeaki sighting.

stonedstooge 10-08-2012 06:09 PM

So Romeo, how did you "tilt the gameplan" to play up to Casshole's strengths yesterday? Complimentary passing?

Coogs 10-08-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 8993342)
“We have to look at the strength of every player we’re going to play in the game. The things Brady does well, we have to tilt the game plan toward those things. If we didn’t, we wouldn’t be very good coaches.’’

34 rushes, 6 passes. Nuff said!

CoMoChief 10-08-2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 8993355)
Holy shit a Moeaki sighting.

No kidding.....its either Bowe with a tiny bit of Baldwin.....no Dexter or Breaston or Moeaki......EVER

the Talking Can 10-08-2012 06:15 PM

Cassel's strength is handing off

R8RFAN 10-08-2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonedstooge (Post 8993351)
Going to continue to run Jamaal into the ground I presume?

Not being a smart ass here but the Chiefs have always used the RB as a rented mule..

Priest
LJ
Jamaal

ILChief 10-08-2012 06:43 PM

They can't go back to Cassel after the bye. If they do, they are tanking for Geno

petegz28 10-08-2012 06:45 PM

Word has it that Crennel sent Daboll to the NFL Films Archive to dust off some tape from the Vermeil era. Together they will embark on the adventure to discover what a "pass" is, how it is supposed to be used and when it could help in a football game.

Donger 10-08-2012 06:46 PM

Football neophyte here, but am I wrong in thinking that the three passes that Quinn threw yesterday seemed to have more velocity on them than compared to Cassel (and weren't four feet above the receivers' heads)?

petegz28 10-08-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 8993543)
Football neophyte here, but am I wrong in thinking that the three passes that Quinn threw yesterday seemed to have more velocity on them than compared to Cassel (and weren't four feet above the receivers' heads)?

The 3 passes you saw from Quinn yesterday were the best 3 passes of the season. What's that tell you?

Donger 10-08-2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 8993550)
The 3 passes you saw from Quinn yesterday were the best 3 passes of the season. What's that tell you?

Well, honestly, that Quinn can throw the ball better than Cassel. But, I don't know much about it.

Messier 10-08-2012 06:49 PM

If Quinn starts, I'll be rooting more than I ever have for a Chiefs QB to have an incredible game. I know it might not matter, but I just want it to be as difficult as possible for them to have a case to put Cassel back in the lineup.

pimpchief 10-08-2012 06:50 PM

Are you telling me that we've been scheming for cassel this while? I really couldn't tell.

mcaj22 10-08-2012 06:51 PM

the 3 passes you saw from Quinn yesterday also happened to be the 3 best passes of Quinn's journeymen NFL career.

So whats that tell you?

Donger 10-08-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pimpchief (Post 8993560)
Are you telling me that we've been scheming for cassel this while? I really couldn't tell.

In English, please.

crispystl 10-08-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 8993550)

Arm strength I haven't seen from a chiefs qb in well......forever

RINGLEADER 10-08-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Yes.

ILChief 10-08-2012 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 8993555)
If Quinn starts, I'll be rooting more than I ever have for a Chiefs QB to have an incredible game. I know it might not matter, but I just want it to be as difficult as possible for them to have a case to put Cassel back in the lineup.

How awesome would it be if he threw for 350 with 3 or 4 TDs and no picks?

Mr. Laz 10-08-2012 06:52 PM

Quote:

but am I wrong in thinking that the three passes that Quinn threw yesterday seemed to have more velocity on them than compared to Cassel

you're correct

You really noticed when Cassel threw the short pass to Bowe near the sideline and you could almost time the throw with a sundial.

crispystl 10-08-2012 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 8993563)
In English, please.

Cassel =4.00 a gallon gas
Brady' =the neighbor that won't quit drinking in the garage

???

Donger 10-08-2012 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 8993562)
the 3 passes you saw from Quinn yesterday also happened to be the 3 best passes of Quinn's journeymen NFL career.

So whats that tell you?

I really don't know. I've read that this is likely his last chance in the NFL. I would like to think that would bring out the best in a professional.

Mr. Laz 10-08-2012 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILChief (Post 8993569)
How awesome would it be if he threw for 350 with 3 or 4 TDs and no picks?

say goodbye to Geno Smith

Donger 10-08-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RINGLEADER (Post 8993567)
Yes.

Thanks. My immediate thought was why the NFL doesn't do the speed thingy like the baseball league does on pitches. Those data would be fun to see.

crispystl 10-08-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crispystl420 (Post 8993575)

???

oops meant it the other way around

Discuss Thrower 10-08-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crispystl420 (Post 8993575)

???

:rofl: Niiiiice

petegz28 10-08-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 8993553)
Well, honestly, that Quinn can throw the ball better than Cassel. But, I don't know much about it.

That's exactly the point. Quinn can throw the ball better than Cassel. Is Quinn better than Cassel? Yes. Does that say a lot about Quinn? No. It's not hard to out-do Matt Cassel at QB.

However the facts remain: Quinn was a 1st round draft pick, Cassel was a 7th. Quinn actually played in college, Cassel never did. Cassel had a better initial season than Quinn but Quinn was also on a suck ass team.

Quinn should have started in Denver when they parted ways with Orton but ticket sales demanded Tebow start.

Quinn is most likely not the answer, although if people are hoping to find a diamond in the rough, we have a better chance at that with Quinn than with Cassel.

pimpchief 10-08-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 8993563)
In English, please.

So dawg, ay, u tellin me home slice says we wuz tryna cope with my boi cassels skillz dog crazy shit boy

Bob Dole 10-08-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 8993562)

So whats that tell you?

That he is not Mark Castle and there is a chance he has learned something since his last chance to play?

Omaha 10-08-2012 07:21 PM

Am I the only one excited to see Quinn get a shot?

petegz28 10-08-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dole (Post 8993709)
That he is not Mark Castle and there is a chance he has learned something since his last chance to play?

The cold hard fact people overlook is Quinn has a total of 12 starts in his career. He was a 1st round pick and never was given a chance for whatever reasons. I never watched him much so either he just sucked that bad or there was too high of an expectation for a young kid to light it up in his 1st 12 games.

Sorter 10-08-2012 07:24 PM

If it means we win enough games to miss out on Geno Smith, then no, I'm not excited. Unless Quinn leads this team to AFCC game and proves that he is worthy of a continued investment then I will be upset if he ruins our chances of getting Geno.

petegz28 10-08-2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 8993761)
If it means we win enough games to miss out on Geno Smith, then no, I'm not excited. Unless Quinn leads this team to AFCC game and proves that he is worthy of a continued investment then I will be upset if he ruins our chances of getting Geno.

Bullshit. I don't care what our record is unless it is 11-5\10-6, there will be absolutely 0 excuse for Pioli to not trade up for a QB. I don't care if that means trading a shitload of picks, 2014's #1, Dwayne Bowe, I don't give a ****.

Bob Dole 10-08-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

What evidence do you have that KC will pick Smith even if he is there when the Chiefs pick?

Mr_Tomahawk 10-08-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 8993744)

I'm pumped.

I am one of those, "he hasn't been in the right situation" people....however, I don't think the situation he is in now is any better than his previous 2 stops.

However, I am hoping for big things...

SAUTO 10-08-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

This.
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO 10-08-2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dole (Post 8993776)
What evidence do you have that KC will pick Smith even if he is there when the Chiefs pick?

There is none. it's called hope. And knowing what SHOULD happen.
Posted via Mobile Device

petegz28 10-08-2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 8993780)
I'm pumped.

I am one of those, "he hasn't been in the right situation" people....however, I don't think the situation he is in now is any better than his previous 2 stops.

Well, he has a good running game, but if I remember right he had that in Cleveland too.

I think we all know he got jobbed in Denver. The Donks chose hype and ticket sales over the better QB.

ChiefsCountry 10-08-2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 8993744)

Half way excited. Half of me wants him to be the man, the other part wants this mother ****er burned to the ground.

Reerun_KC 10-08-2012 07:29 PM

I will be rooting for Quinn to fail. Holding out hope for a franchise qb.

Sorter 10-08-2012 07:29 PM

If we're in a position to draft Geno, Pioli will in all likelihood no longer be here. A new GM +new HC = New QB.

Lame duck GMs don't exist. He'll have the rest of this season to prove he's worth an extension, which at this point is entirely inherent on Quinn's success IMO.

petegz28 10-08-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dole (Post 8993776)

It has to be Smith or Bray or bust, next draft.

Sorter 10-08-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 8993769)
Bullshit. I don't care what our record is unless it is 11-5\10-6, there will be absolutely 0 excuse for Pioli to not trade up for a QB. I don't care if that means trading a shitload of picks, 2014's #1, Dwayne Bowe, I don't give a ****.

Well, if you're relying on trading up, you'd better hope that the team at #1 overall isn't a team with a need at QB. Because if so, then he's gone. Indy wasn't going to trade their #1 overall and neither will Oakland, Jacksonville, Bucs, Bills, or Jets IMO.

Omaha 10-08-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 8993780)
I'm pumped.

This is me. He can learn to make better decisions and reads. I want to see what he can do.

Reerun_KC 10-08-2012 07:32 PM

Any success Quinn has equals contract extensions for pioli and crennel.

petegz28 10-08-2012 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 8993813)
Well, if you're relying on trading up, you'd better hope that the team at #1 overall isn't a team with a need at QB. Because if so, then he's gone. Indy wasn't going to trade their #1 overall and neither will Oakland, Jacksonville, Bucs, Bills, or Jets IMO.

So you're saying our next QB is going to be:

Palmer
Fitzpatrick
Gabbert
Freeman
or
Sanchez?

petegz28 10-08-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 8993819)
Any success Quinn has equals contract extensions for pioli and crennel.

Depending on the level of success perhaps it would be semi-warranted. We saw how the team improved with just Orton. I think Quinn is every bit as good as Orton. Or I should say, I think our team is good enough that an average QB will get the drool running from some and we will latch on.

Bump 10-08-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

well Quinn's passes looked strange to me. The ball did seem to zip with velocity in a straight line. I don't know what planet he's from because I've never seen that before.

Sorter 10-08-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 8993829)
So you're saying our next QB is going to be:

Palmer
Fitzpatrick
Gabbert
Freeman
or
Sanchez?

How did you arrive at that conclusion? WTF?

I said those teams have obvious QB issues and could potentially be drafting #1 overall.

Those teams would not even dream about trading away Geno Smith for more pics.

petegz28 10-08-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 8993849)
How did you arrive at that conclusion? WTF?

I said those teams have obvious QB issues and could potentially be drafting #1 overall.

Those teams would not even dream about trading away Geno Smith for more pics.

Of course not. So, the Chiefs and Pioli being the Chiefs and Pioli will scrape up the reject from whatever team drafts a QB.

Cannibal 10-08-2012 08:01 PM

Based only on what I saw in the preseason, Quinn's arm seems pretty strong and relatively accurate. What I don't know about Quinn is his decision making under pressure and courage under pressure. I can't stand watching a total bitch (Cassel) the gets easily flustered into mistakes, sacks, interceptions etc.

Maybe that is why Quinn couldn't hold a job before?

sedated 10-08-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 8993391)
Cassel's strength is handing off

It worked out okay for Aikman.

hometeam 10-08-2012 08:11 PM

Cant be worse than Cassel on the field.

It can be worse if we go 7-9 as Quinn and Pioli and RAC prop him up as a QBOTF.

Knowing KC's history that is the way it will actually go down.

Marcellus 10-08-2012 08:26 PM

LMAO at the whole story.

I was wrong I thought Crennel needed a shot with a team that had some talent. Dude is ****ing reeruned.

All he has to do is be complimentary of Quinn and he gets a pass and instead he gives him no support.

Pasta Little Brioni 10-08-2012 08:47 PM

Sweet can't wait to see him unleash that Howitzer for the entire game.

bishop_74 10-08-2012 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 8993842)
well Quinn's passes looked strange to me. The ball did seem to zip with velocity in a straight line. I don't know what planet he's from because I've never seen that before.

I couldn't quite tell. They were being delivered to their intended target with such accuracy and speed I was having trouble picking apart how terrible the passes were.

The Bad Guy 10-08-2012 08:56 PM

Seriously, what gameplan? Any ****ing person with 2 arms and slight mobility could hand the ball off all game.

Hammock Parties 10-08-2012 09:01 PM

This "Brady Quinn throws better passes" than Cassel thing is reeruned.

Brady Quinn has made a career of throwing some ****ing awful passes.

Again: His career numbers are comparable to BRODIE CROYLE.

This guy isn't winning shit here. He's just another failure who will soon be laughed at.

Cannibal 10-08-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 8994157)
This "Brady Quinn throws better passes" than Cassel thing is reeruned.

Brady Quinn has made a career of throwing some ****ing awful passes.

Again: His career numbers are comparable to BRODIE CROYLE.

This guy isn't winning shit here. He's just another failure who will soon be laughed at.

You may be correct, I haven't seen enough of him to know. But have you watched many of his games, or are you just looking at his career statistics?

Pasta Little Brioni 10-08-2012 09:06 PM

Got F'd out of a go ahead TD pass late in his first game here. At least he showed a little bit.

Hammock Parties 10-08-2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannibal (Post 8994170)
You may be correct, I haven't seen enough of him to know. But have you watched many of his games, or are you just looking at his career statistics?

Brady Quinn, ladies and gentlemen.

http://i.imgur.com/5iH6n.gif

http://i.imgur.com/ac5Oo.gif

All that, AND Brodie Croyle's career stat line.

Hammock Parties 10-08-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 8994178)
Got F'd out of a go ahead TD pass late in his first game here. At least he showed a little bit.

The receiver was wide the **** open. It was a 5-yard pass. Cassel could have hit it.

Stop blowing Brady Quinn you morons.

Pasta Little Brioni 10-08-2012 09:21 PM

Someone who pimped the hell out of Huard to Darling doesn't get to throw stones

Cannibal 10-08-2012 09:23 PM

I guess we'll see if he's learned anything, or if he still blows. At least he actually played in college I guess. LOL

Mr_Tomahawk 10-08-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 8994218)

:LOL:

Sorter 10-08-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

LMAOLMAOLMAO

Chris Meck 10-08-2012 09:30 PM

Well, you know, we KNOW Cassel isn't the answer.

Quinn was, at one point, legitimate first round QB talent. I think you can make an argument that he didn't have much of a chance in Cleveland and got lost in the coaching shuffle. He didn't get a shot in Denver either. Maybe he's a lost cause, but maybe the lightbulb goes on for him. I know I'm actually looking forward to the game this week, and I haven't been able to say that for awhile.

Maybe he's Cassel's opposite in that he practices like crap and plays well. Who knows? They say that's what Dawson was like.

I'd say this-if Quinn completes over 60%, has a 2-1 or better TD/Int and actually LEADS this team to a winning record, then I think you've got your guy. I still think I'd look for a QB in round one, and I think I would every year for eternity until I'm sure I've got one.

I think it's unlikely that Quinn is the answer. Sure would be cool if he was, though.

Hammock Parties 10-08-2012 09:35 PM

Quote:

You know what the difference between Damon Huard and Brady Quinn is?

This.

http://i.imgur.com/Crd8A.jpg

Call me when Quinn ever has a season like that.

That's not much, but it's a decent 5-game stint for a guy filling in for the starter.

Quinn hasn't done anything like that. He's only been a complete ****ing disaster as a QB.

Mr_Tomahawk 10-08-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 8994267)
You know what the difference between Damon Huard and Brady Quinn is?

This.

http://i.imgur.com/Crd8A.jpg

Call me when Quinn ever has a season like that.

That's not much, but it's a decent 5-game stint for a guy filling in for the starter.

Quinn hasn't done anything like that. He's only been a complete ****ing disaster as a QB.

But...you were still wrong about Huard.

.......right?

FAX 10-08-2012 09:46 PM

Some quarterbacks bloom early and some quarterbacks bloom later in their careers ... if they bloom at all.

And some quarterbacks are like bulb plants where they look really ugly at first but you keep them in the basement for awhile and then you plant them and you give them water and nutrients and you care for them by making sure that the weeds don't get them and the bugs and the mold and the bulb rot and then in the springtime they start to grow and develop little by little and then before you know it they get better and better and bigger and bigger and then just before the first blossoms emerge a groundhog comes along and eats them roots and all.

FAX

Hammock Parties 10-08-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 8994278)
But...you were still wrong about Huard.

.......right?

Absolutely not.

I thought he would play well, and he did.

What happened after '06 doesn't enter into it.

The people saying "GO QUINN" are the same idiots who thought Palko was better than Cassel last season.

He wasn't. Not even close. He was a dumpster fire. Quinn will be dumpster kindling.

Rausch 10-08-2012 10:01 PM

I don't know how good or bad Quinn will end up being but I'm ready to find out.

There is absolutely no point putting Ca$$el back in there...

splatbass 10-08-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 8993796)
I will be rooting for Quinn to fail. Holding out hope for a franchise qb.

I can't remember you ever rooting for this team to win.

qabbaan 10-08-2012 10:06 PM

That first ball is underthrown, but it was 50 yards. The offense there is that it should have been thrown sooner. At least he has the arm to make that throw.

BossChief 10-08-2012 10:20 PM

"Ricky Stanzi has to be ready to play.’’

:whackit::whackit::whackit::whackit:

Hammock Parties 10-08-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qabbaan (Post 8994345)
That first ball is underthrown, but it was 50 yards. The offense there is that it should have been thrown sooner. At least he has the arm to make that throw.

Cassel can throw an INT in exactly the same manner.

Mother****erJones 10-08-2012 10:22 PM

This is where we just have to let it all out with Quinn and see what we got. He's only had 9 games with Cleveland who had no talent. He's got WRs and Jamaal here. Im not saying he's the future but maybe he could be a stop gap for a year while we groom a rookie QB. I also want to see Stanzi. Mr. Pioli's only QB he's drafted here needs to play to see why Pioli drafted him

Sorter 10-08-2012 10:32 PM

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...czWp-eiIaDoOYA

Matt Dillon, leading the Chiefs to the 2012-13 Super Bowl.

Sorter 10-08-2012 10:33 PM

Your starter for the rest of the season ladies and gentlemen

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...pHxK3ibTJ19q7G