ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Wonder How Long The Chiefs Keep This Gretz Article On Their Website... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=155443)

RINGLEADER 12-31-2006 08:34 PM

Wonder How Long The Chiefs Keep This Gretz Article On Their Website...

I guess most would call him a realist...but it's still funny in hindsight...

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2006/12...ve_been_again/

banyon 12-31-2006 09:06 PM

Ha Ha. He jumped the gun a little.

B_Ambuehl 12-31-2006 09:16 PM

I get tired of hearing BS like this:

Quote:

Fighting through this jungle of parity to make the post-season tournament will be valuable experience for the teams that survive. It would be another block to put in the foundation that would pay dividends in 2007, 2008 and beyond, even if winning a championship was farfetched. Knowing how to get there, then learning how to win in the playoffs are both steps that teams must take.

That’s why the Cleveland game hurts the Chiefs. Stop the Browns once in that fourth quarter and overtime on defense, or score another touchdown or field goal on offense, and the Chiefs would be in a position to experience success, to go out Sunday and win a game and then have another to play.

Right now, that type of success would be very important for the Chiefs. Just once in the previous eight years did they reach the playoffs. Without a miracle, that number increases to nine years. More and more of the roster is further removed from the post-season. That wouldn’t be so bad if this was a young team, but it’s not.
All this "knowing how to get there", "learning how to win in the playoffs", and "getting into the playoffs just to gain experience" talk is bunk. If the players on a team can line up and play their position they know all they need to know to make the playoffs. If they've won a regular season game they know how to win a playoff game...the rules dont change. You don't go into the playoffs to gain experience. You go in to win 1 more game....Repeat that one game performance 3 or 4 times and win the superbowl. Experience means jack shit. Buffalo had plenty of experience in the late 80's and 90's but did it matter? Hell no. Marty's teams had plenty of experience getting into the playoffs but it didn't help. DVs Rams team...the Titans...Brady's Patriots...plenty of teams have playoff success without much playoff experience...particularly in the era of free agency.

This team and coaching staff in particular need to attack their gift with ferocity...don't be content with getting in...because reliastically this is an old football team and this will probably be the last chance for quite some time. On any given sunday this team is capable of lining up and beating any other team in the NFL if:

A: The coaching staff allows them (read: Bring pressure and let your corners prove their worth and allow your offense to do what they're capable of)

and

B: The players play their average game and don't beat themselves.

They have already beat San Diego once this year and were the last team to do so. The Baltimore game was within grasp considering the turnovers.

I expect this staff to go into Indy with an ultra-conservative game plan and flop, but I really hope I'm wrong.

TinyEvel 12-31-2006 09:24 PM

Mr. Gretz must have not seen my avatar.
:shake:

B_Ambuehl 01-01-2007 06:10 PM

and Herm today:

Quote:

“Their team has played in a lot of playoff games. This team has not. That’s something we’re going to have to understand when we go there. There’s a different mindset, a different feel in how you play. This team has got to learn that they’re going to have to learn it real fast. We’re playing against a team that has a lot of experience in playoff games and you’ve got a coach that’s coached in a lot of playoff games and won games. I’ve coached against Tony and I’ve been on the sidelines with him in a lot of playoff games, too. I know how he thinks and how he prepares his football teams.

“These guys will be ready to play and we have to understand that, particularly the guys that have never been there. We’ve got a lot of guys on this team who have never been in the playoffs. It’s going to be a little bit different. The speed of the game is a lot different Everything is magnified in the playoffs and you know it. If you’ve been there enough times it’s a great feeling for you and your football team to be in this situation.”
If that's not a direct speech telling your team to roll over and take an ass whipping I don't know what is.

thedude 01-01-2007 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B_Ambuehl
and Herm today:

If that's not a direct speech telling your team to roll over and take an ass whipping I don't know what is.

It's safe to say that you relaly don't know then.