ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV HBO greenlights A Game of Thrones pilot! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=196570)

BigRedChief 04-21-2011 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 7580865)
Actually... the opening scene was the prologue from the novel. The viewpoint character in the prologue has died in each of the novels. No real significance other than "Holy crap, the White Walkers walk again..."

It becomes a much bigger deal later...

yeah, but us Noobs don't know chit about White Walkers. And us noobs are who you guys need to be watching if you want to see all the books and stories in the TV series.

NewChief 04-21-2011 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 7582908)
yeah, but us Noobs don't know chit about White Walkers. And us noobs are who you guys need to be watching if you want to see all the books and stories in the TV series.

Well... I mean hopefully you made the connection that the guy who escaped the walkers was the guy that Ned had to behead. And that should have helped to paint a picture of the Starks that serves to contrast with the picture of the Baratheons and Lannisters as they then come to visit. At this point, it's about characterization.

There are a lot of plots that sort of loosely connect like that, though, and interweave in interesting ways. The White Walkers will always remain somewhat on the periphery, though. They're supposed to be that way. Just about no one thinks that they still exist (as Ned said, "The last white walker was 1000 years ago.") or something along those lines. The idea is that -we- know that winter isn't just coming... it's here bitches. Meanwhile, the rest of the world is falling apart, clawing over scraps, and ignoring the impending doom that lurks just beyond the Wall, held in check by a ragtag bunch of criminals and misfits.

KcMizzou 04-21-2011 06:58 PM

I just watched that 30 minute show "Making Game of Thrones" on HBO 2. It's got me itching for another episode. There were a few scenes in there that weren't in the first ep.

allen_kcCard 04-22-2011 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 7580730)
Never read the books, damn good show (almost too much boob, a little embarrassed to recommend it to others).

Can I get some confirmation that Stark, if not a 'good guy' per se, is at least a likeable figure? Sean Bean is pretty much a badass even when he's evil (Travelian in Goldeneye) or a flawed hero (Lord of the Rings).

I can't bring myself to dislike the guy.

Come back and read this sometime later. I'd say you will know when it is a good time to, but err on the side of caution.

Spoiler!

allen_kcCard 04-22-2011 09:26 AM

I watched it again last night, and started to make a post about things that were missing that I missed, but then I couldn't really think of any that jumped out at me.

I was going to say I wish they went into Arya more and her dislike for needlework and all that Lady stuff, but really, they did a good job of showing that, and I expect they will go into it more when it matters. Rickon was pretty invisible, but he seems to be like that in the book a lot as well anyhow. I wished that they would have focused more on the direwolf pups and how they all grew so attached with them so fast, but that is something that will develop more later I am sure. We already talked about Theon. But when I watched it over again, I noticed him a lot more and liked how they set him up for later.

Hoepfully they do the sparring scene with the kids. I liked that in the story, and I remember it as being something that was first in my forming an opinion of Jeoffry.

I didn't mind much, but I was expecting more out of the Bran seeing the twins scene as far as him climbing. The tower wasn't in much disrepair other than inside, and I wanted to see him hanging upside down from a gargoyle, or crennelation or whatever it said in the book. I completely pictured him as looking in through the window from the very top of it, and then getting startled when they saw him and slipping and catching himself, instead of just sitting there in the window for Jaime to grab him. A minor point, but one of the few things that didn't happen as I pictured it.

Pants 04-22-2011 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allen_kcCard (Post 7584285)
I watched it again last night, and started to make a post about things that were missing that I missed, but then I couldn't really think of any that jumped out at me.

I was going to say I wish they went into Arya more and her dislike for needlework and all that Lady stuff, but really, they did a good job of showing that, and I expect they will go into it more when it matters. Rickon was pretty invisible, but he seems to be like that in the book a lot as well anyhow. I wished that they would have focused more on the direwolf pups and how they all grew so attached with them so fast, but that is something that will develop more later I am sure. We already talked about Theon. But when I watched it over again, I noticed him a lot more and liked how they set him up for later.

Hoepfully they do the sparring scene with the kids. I liked that in the story, and I remember it as being something that was first in my forming an opinion of Jeoffry.

I didn't mind much, but I was expecting more out of the Bran seeing the twins scene as far as him climbing. The tower wasn't in much disrepair other than inside, and I wanted to see him hanging upside down from a gargoyle, or crennelation or whatever it said in the book. I completely pictured him as looking in through the window from the very top of it, and then getting startled when they saw him and slipping and catching himself, instead of just sitting there in the window for Jaime to grab him. A minor point, but one of the few things that didn't happen as I pictured it.

Yeah, I know it would be really hard to do IRL, but in the book, Bran is pretty much Spiderman when it comes to climbing the castle walls/rooftops. GRRM sets it up so well, and focuses on him so much, the shock of him falling is just incredibly strong.

Red Brooklyn 04-22-2011 09:37 AM

I wish I hadn't known it was coming. I wonder if I would have felt as shocked by the screen version as I did by the book version, if I hadn't read the book first.

allen_kcCard 04-22-2011 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 7584301)
I wish I hadn't known it was coming. I wonder if I would have felt as shocked by the screen version as I did by the book version, if I hadn't read the book first.

I don't think I would have. They didn't develop Bran as much as they did on the book. And, now that I think about it, they did leave out the kids sparring, since Bran would have been there for that. In the book they talked a lot about how he wanted to be a Knight, and made me feel like he was going to be a center point of the story in that way.

Bummer on the sparring scene. I wanted to see Rickon and Thommen spar all bundled up like the kid in a snowsuit in a Christmas story sparring, and everything with the others.

As for the Bran "falling" thing, in the book I was numb and pissed off thinking what could have been. Watching it unaware, I think I would have thought...well, so much for the kid.

Pants 04-22-2011 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allen_kcCard (Post 7584309)

As for the Bran "falling" thing, in the book I was numb and pissed off thinking what could have been. Watching it unaware, I think I would have thought...well, so much for the kid.

Pretty much.

WoodDraw 04-22-2011 11:12 AM

I feel sorry for people that haven't read the books. Some of you are really spoilering things without even meaning to. Anyone that doesn't want things ruined, stay away. Far away.

keg in kc 04-22-2011 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 7584532)
I feel sorry for people that haven't read the books. Some of you are really spoilering things without even meaning to. Anyone that doesn't want things ruined, stay away. Far away.

I was just thinking that. :(

mnchiefsguy 04-22-2011 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 7584532)

Just started reading the first book, I am as just past where the first episode ended, so I will probably check out of this thread till I finish at least the first book. Excellent show, and I am glad it was made, if for nothing else it led me to a new series of books to read.

allen_kcCard 04-22-2011 11:19 AM

Hmm..something I said? Was trying to be careful not to.

Might be better for me to just avoid the thread if so.

Red Brooklyn 04-22-2011 12:05 PM

I definitely agree that the emotional connection to Bran isn't the same as it was reading the book. So in that context, the final event of the first episode can't have the same impact as it does on the page.

But the shock of the actual event. Just the fact that it happens is pretty shocking, I think. But I knew it was coming. Had I not known, I wonder if I would have been as blown away by that as I was by say, the events at the end of the S1 finale of Lost.

All in all, the show is about as good as anyone could expect. So far. We have a long way to go. But if the trend continues, this will be the best adapted show maybe ever. The books are still the books, and I highly recommend that people read them. Even if you wait until after the TV series. There's enough in the books that can't translate to the screen that makes the books superior and absolutely worth the journey.

keg in kc 04-22-2011 02:39 PM

Descriptions of the upcoming episodes are below. I'm going to tag them and recommend that anybody who hasn't read the books completely avoids the rest of this post (i.e. if you're on mobile, stop reading now...):
Spoiler!