ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Going to Chicago. What do I need to do? Avoid? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=222682)

WoodDraw 02-05-2010 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 6509483)
What's the dress code there? Am I good with nice jeans, sweater and brown shoes? Trying to to limit my packing as much as possible.

Yeah, no problem. The dress code is probably business casual, but it runs from both ends. A lot of people head there for drinks before going out, or at the end of a day of shopping, so you get a good mix of people. You don't want to show up with a Chiefs sweatshirt on, but nice jeans, nice shoes, and a sweater would be appropriate.

WoodDraw 02-06-2010 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVChiefFan (Post 6500631)
Thanks for the reply. The problem is I really don't know anything about where things are or what to do about it. Here's what we want to do for sure...The Field Museum, Shedd's, the best pizza place and the best Hot Dog/Italian Beef place. I've taken notes on these from the rest of the thread but unfortunately I'm not sure what would be the best way to go about it. I don't have to stay in the museum district, I just noticed that there were, what looked like, decent hotels really close. If there is an area to stay in that would be better I'm all ears.

Okay. The Field Museum and Shedd Aquarium are right next to each other off Lake Shore Dr., just North of Soldier field.

For Chicago Pizza, most people will tell you (as you've read) Giordanos or Gino's East. Giordanos has several locations all around. I don't know Gino's as well, but the one location I know is just north of the loop.

Here's what I'd think about:

Your trips to Field and Shedd will be a day trip. They are right next to each other, so you could easily do both in one day really. So I wouldn't plan my trip around being close to them. And, the transportation from anywhere along Lake Shore or Michigan Ave. down to there is so good, whether that's buses or taxis for you, it doesn't matter being close. It's one trip.

So a lot of it depends on what else you want to do. The benefit of staying further north is that you'll be right in the heart of the dining and shopping areas. So walking distance vs. taking cabs/buses. If you're spending one day at Shedd and Field, and every other day somewhere else, that's worth remembering...

But, if the exact area you stay in isn't important, I'd focus on hotels. To be honest, I don't know the hotels around there that much, so I can't make much of a recommendation. Your real touristy, typical hotel section run along N. Michigan, probably from around Illinois St. and north. There are other great hotels though, but just different surroundings. Like I said, I'm not very good at answering these types of questions... Read some TripAdvisor reviews and see what they say. :D

WoodDraw 02-06-2010 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicy McHaggis (Post 6501428)
Gotcha. I was going to suggest a couple "local" team bars in the area if you were inclined to watch some of March Madness. Unfortunately, a Missouri State bar in Chicago escapes my knowledge.

If anyone is there over March Madness, this is a great idea. There's a great Mizzou bar there call "The Spread". There are bars for pretty much all major colleges.

the Talking Can 02-06-2010 05:46 AM

Rick Bayless has one of the best mexican restaurants in the country in Chicago. I've always wanted to eat there.

http://www.rickbayless.com/restaurants/grill.html

might be a bit pricy, but they do lunch....he won Top Chef masters, and had a long running cooking show on mexico

looking at the site, it seems he has a new sort of take out place called XOCO...i'd bet anything he does is tasty

Reaper16 02-06-2010 10:16 AM

There are 3 things I do everytime I'm in Chicago (which is usually twice per year).
1.) Frantically call to try and get a table at Burt's Place in Morton Grove for the best pizza in Chicago. Failing that, my second favorite pizza in Chicago is Pequod's.

2.) Hot Doug's. 'Nuff said.

3.) See a show from the Neo-Futurist theater company. "Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind" is a Chicago theater must-see.

Baby Lee 02-06-2010 10:48 AM

Italian Beef and Sausage, dipped, Joe Boston's on Chicago ave.

BigRedChief 02-19-2010 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 6507100)
So here's what we're thinking :

We get in Saturday around lunchtime. Fly into Midway, take the Orange line then red line to get to our hotel around Erie and Mich Ave. We'll walk around see what's around us and grab a bite to eat somewhere close by. Wife wants to go to the American Girl store, so I'm sure there's places to eat close by. We're headed to the Bulls game Saturday night (can't wait). I'm assuming we'll take a cab to and from.

Sunday, we're open all day. I'm thinking the Signature Lounge at night in the John Hancock Building to see the view of the skyline (link far below). Hopefully not much of a crowd because people will be watching the Super Bowl. I'm taking one for the team here and missing the Super Bowl so we can get to everything we'd like to do. During the day, I'm considering the Art Institute, Blue Man Group (expensive, but we've never seen them), Museum of Science and Industry or even a show at Second City. I can probably only really get to two of those I'd guess. We'll probably work lunch in at Gino's East or Giordano's.

Monday, we're probably going to Shedd Aquarium and maybe Field Museum. They're free that day, so if we get through them quickly or decide not to spend a lot of time due to crowds, we can leave without guilt. We fly home that afternoon, most likely very tired and content.

So, how did it go?

C-Mac 02-19-2010 02:43 PM

Gino's East

HemiEd 02-19-2010 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 6509777)
Italian Beef and Sausage, dipped, Joe Boston's on Chicago ave.

That is a combo, and that is a repost.

Baby Lee 02-24-2010 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector (Post 6496379)
I went to Chicago about a year ago to see the Fray / Vedera concert at the Metro. Stayed at the Hyatt by the river. The weidest part was a huge protest by what appeared to be a large group of Muslims in front of our hotel. I never figured out why. I was going to ask one of the rabbi's who were in our hotel for some sort of Jewsh convention but they all looked busy.

Who was that crooning on the wonderful flat screens showing 'The Hardee's Channel' at my local Hardees.

memyselfI 02-24-2010 04:06 PM

Avoid the planetarium. BORING. Which is a shame because we are family of space lovers.

Must see the Field Museum and the Museum of Science and Industry. We stayed outside of Chicago and took the train in every day. It was really one of the highlights of our trip.

I can't wait to go back. Chicago ranks as one of my kids favorite vacations that we've ever taken.

BigRedChief 03-14-2010 02:17 PM

Any last mintue tips?

Reaper16 03-14-2010 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 6603153)
Any last mintue tips?

Yes, read the following post again:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6509725)
There are 3 things I do everytime I'm in Chicago (which is usually twice per year).
1.) Frantically call to try and get a table at Burt's Place in Morton Grove for the best pizza in Chicago. Failing that, my second favorite pizza in Chicago is Pequod's.

2.) Hot Doug's. 'Nuff said.

3.) See a show from the Neo-Futurist theater company. "Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind" is a Chicago theater must-see.

Duck Dog 03-14-2010 04:54 PM

I suggest you tour the Englewood/W. Englewood, Calumet Heights, South Deering, West Garfield Park and North Lawndale.

KS Smitty 03-19-2010 10:38 PM

This is a great thread!
My youngest got accepted to the School of the Art Institute in Chicago and we'll be there next week for a campus visit and some sightseeing.
We have the City Pass that will get us into the Aquarium, Planetarium, Field Museum, Museum of Science and Industry and either Hancock or Sears Tower. From the comments on here we will definitely be doing the aquarium, Field Museum and probably Hancock. If we have time which would you choose betweeen the planetarium and the science and industry museum?.
One question I have concerns the Lincoln Park Conservatory and Zoo vs Garfield Park Conservatory. They are both free but which is the "better" of the 2? Really need to see some greenery after the 3" of snow that has already fallen so one is on the to do list for sure just not sure which is best.
Thanks for the input.