ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Going to Chicago. What do I need to do? Avoid? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=222682)

Easy 6 01-31-2010 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 6494034)
Navy Pier
Sears Tower
All of the different museums along Lakeshore Drive
Ed Debevic's
Giordano's Pizza
Wrigley Field tour

Great advice, but you can leave out the Sears Tower :shake:... i got/get the willies being up that high in something man made & that glass balcony can definitely kiss my ass lol.

acesn8s 01-31-2010 11:38 AM

Avoid the United Center. I hear there is a team stealing people's money.

luv 01-31-2010 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 6494082)
buy a 5 day City Pass for transit, and you will get unlimited rides on the El and busses. Best way to get around unless it's late at night, but even up until 10pm and you'd be fine. Plus, you can be a nice guy and give it to some new arrival at the airport on your way out. Much cheaper than paying as you go if you are going to be getting around.

The U Boat at MOSI is awesome. And for pizza, I think Gino's East is the best.

You know, now that I think of it, I think it was Gino's East where we had the amazing deep dish pizza.

Frankie 01-31-2010 11:41 AM

Reza's Restaurant. The one on Clark preferably.

mikeyis4dcats. 01-31-2010 11:44 AM

oh and SCTV is a good time.

mlyonsd 01-31-2010 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 6494091)
You know, now that I think of it, I think it was Gino's East where we had the amazing deep dish pizza.

Isn't the actual cheeseburger place SNL used to skits about downtown somewhere? Cheebuger cheebuger, no coke, pepsi

I can't remember the name of it.

Easy 6 01-31-2010 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 6494102)
Isn't the actual cheeseburger place SNL used to skits about downtown somewhere? Cheebuger cheebuger, no coke, pepsi

Billy Goat Tavern.

luv 01-31-2010 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 6494102)

No clue. I don't watch SNL that much to know it.

mikeyis4dcats. 01-31-2010 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 6494107)
Billy Goat Tavern.

terrible...only reason it's in business is the tourists. Same with Ed Debevics. If you want to pay more to eat shitty food and be treated like shit, knock yourself out.

WoodDraw 01-31-2010 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H5N1 (Post 6494067)
chicago's public transit system is one of the best in the country. you can take the train (isn't it the 'L'? can't recall) almost literally anywhere in the city.

Especially from the airports. Taxis are nice right now because of the brutal cold, but you can get from the airport to your hotel with only one transfer for $2.25 as opposed to $40-$50 for a taxi.

Like someone already said, Giordanos is the famous Chicago style pizza place. There's one literally right across from where you are staying. Gino's East is right there too.

Everyone raves about Science and Industry, but I was underwhelmed last time. Be prepared for kids everywhere, most who seem more interested in running around then seeing anything. They offer adult days though, so that could be worth it.

Really depends on what your interests are. Museums? Restaurants? Shops?

Also, if your into it, I'd recommend hopping on the El and getting away from Michigan Ave area and seeing one of the neighborhoods. If you head south, Hyde Park is beautiful with some fun restaurants. The University of Chicago is fun to walk around. Probably easier to take a bus from where you are then to take the El, as its a bit of a walk through whats not the prettiest part of town.

If you head north, Wrigleyville can be fun, especially if you like yuppy 20 year olds. But some real fun bars and restaurants in the Lakeshore and Lincoln Park areas. Still fairly touristy, but not crazy crowds everywhere.

If you are into any type of food too, there are some fun ethnic neighborhoods. Right around Loyola off Devon there are some great Indian food places.

Anyway, like I said, depends what your into. You're in a great area for seeing all the big tourist places. Grab a drink at the top of the Hancock building on a clear night. Go to a nice restaurant on Rush st.

KCUnited 01-31-2010 11:50 AM

Al's Italian Beef.

Across from Gino's East.

luv 01-31-2010 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 6494116)
terrible...only reason it's in business is the tourists. Same with Ed Debevics. If you want to pay more to eat shitty food and be treated like shit, knock yourself out.

Ed Debevic's was cool when I went there. Servers sang karaoke, and they were supposed to be rude to you (it was comical).

Taco John 01-31-2010 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 6494024)
Going to Chicago. What do I need to do? Avoid?

Avoid Jaegermeister.

Easy 6 01-31-2010 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 6494116)

I've never been in the Billy Goat, but from what i know its not a stretch to envision some rude sh*t.

But you're supposed to expect that treatment at Debevics, definitely a unique concept 'come eat here, our wait staff will be a royal smartass to you'

KChiefs1 01-31-2010 11:59 AM

I'd avoid the Richard Speck museum.