ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs If Bowe goes down . . . (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=283625)

OldSchool 05-11-2014 03:19 PM

If Bowe goes down . . .

What the hell are they going to do with the WR position?

I don't care how good of a play designer or play caller Reid can be, or if Alex Smith plays like he did in the playoff game for the entire season, we'd be lucky to average 20 points a game if our WR core becomes:

Avery, Jenkins, Hemmingway, Wilson/Williams/Dressler

Is Dorsey expecting our defense to hold opposing offenses to less than 10 points a game or something?

The only WR's out there right now who are worth even a tiny glance are:

Miles Austin
Santonio Holmes

That's literally it on the FA market.

Do we trade Flowers for someone? Who would make that trade? Hali?

It seems like the FO is betting on Jenkins, Avery, and Hemmingway to step up their games in year 2, but I won't be holding my breath on it.

Another possibility is that they expect Kelce back at full strength and expect him to be a 40-60 catch guy for us as an inline TE and occasional slot guy.

All I know is that Reid really has his work cut out for him. This offensive roster, in terms of receiving weapons, is nearly as bad as his early 2000 Eagles days when he had Todd Pinkston, Freddy Mitchell, and James Thrash as his top receivers. I just pray that Bowe can stay healthy and put up at least 80% of the production that Owens had for the Eagles in 2004.

milkman 05-11-2014 03:29 PM

Dorsey will pick up a veteran cut in the preseason.

milkman 05-11-2014 03:30 PM

That said, I fully expect that Hemingway wll be the odd man out when that happens.

RunKC 05-11-2014 03:34 PM

We've got a couple weapons we're high on from the draft in Kelce and Thomas, so I don't think we'd be completely ****ed, thought that would be a bigtime problem.

Losing Bowe would hurt, but Charles is still the focal point. We won games last year with him despite not using Bowe effectively.

Would scare the shit out of me though. No doubt.

Hoover 05-11-2014 03:35 PM

Most teams are screwed when their top weapons go down.

We would be more screwed if Jamal went down.

Hoover 05-11-2014 03:37 PM

Actually - do you really think we would miss his 700 yards and 5 TDs?

Iconic 05-11-2014 03:40 PM

Miles Austin will be wearing a Chiefs jersey very sooooon... http://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/Smil...ault/vkN78.png

New World Order 05-11-2014 03:41 PM

Then we will be similar to the 03 eagles.

We just won't have an elite qb who can win without offensive talent around him.

Dante84 05-11-2014 03:41 PM

Yes. We'd miss the defense focusing on him.

OldSchool 05-11-2014 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 10623772)
Actually - do you really think we would miss his 700 yards and 5 TDs?

The thing is, we would lose the most dependable WR in clutch situations if Bowe goes down. Who do you see stepping up in that role? With Bowe gone, literally the only thing that we have left that even remotely resembles a consistent threat is Charles.

Avery has great speed but is inconsistent and always gets dinged up and probably spends as much time on the sidelines trying to recover from a hit as he does playing in the actual game.

Jenkins is a wildcard, he's going to either be mediocre again or the light is going to turn on for him and he might "explode" for some solid #2 production numbers this season. However, with his track record, you'd be a fool to bet on that.

And the rest are almost not worth mentioning.

The only other help you can really expect is going to have to come from Kelce and Fasano staying healthy and playing well.

TribalElder 05-11-2014 03:44 PM

Bowe didn't do shit last year. He had too much money in his pockets to run an effective route. Hemingway could step in for bowe in my opinion. ROFL

OldSchool 05-11-2014 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New World Order (Post 10623789)
Then we will be similar to the 03 eagles.

We just won't have an elite qb who can win without offensive talent around him.

Eh, Smith has won with limited talent around him. I'm not worried about that. I'm worried about whether or not our WRs can even get open, much less catch the ball.

notorious 05-11-2014 03:46 PM

Meh.

Reid's offense got to the Superbowl without Owens. We will survive without Bowes MASSIVE production.

milkman 05-11-2014 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 10623799)
Bowe didn't do shit last year. He had too much money in his pockets to run an effective route. Hemingway could step in for bowe in my opinion. ROFL

Hemingway is shit, and needs to be flushed.

Bowe needs to step up, to be damn sure, but even at the crap level he performed at last season, he still isn't the stinking pile of shit that Hemingway is.

Hoover 05-11-2014 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 10623795)
The thing is, we would lose the most dependable WR in clutch situations if Bowe goes down. Who do you see stepping up in that role? With Bowe gone, literally the only thing that we have left that even remotely resembles a consistent threat is Charles.

Avery has great speed but is inconsistent and always gets dinged up and probably spends as much time on the sidelines trying to recover from a hit as he does playing in the actual game.

Jenkins is a wildcard, he's going to either be mediocre again or the light is going to turn on for him and he might "explode" for some solid #2 production numbers this season. However, with his track record, you'd be a fool to bet on that.

And the rest are almost not worth mentioning.

The only other help you can really expect is going to have to come from Kelce and Fasano staying healthy and playing well.

I understand that.

I actually like Bowe a lot, struggle with how poorly he's played the past couple years. I will also admit that he would be better if he had someone more talented playing opposite of him. As much as I would liked to see us draft a WR this year, I do think it was wise to invest in the defense based on some contracts that are coming up, and the fact that we lost to Denver, San Diago, and Indy on that side of the ball.

I would also have felt differently if Cooks would have been sitting there. When he was gone, I was glad we went with a pass rusher. Without a stud franchise QB, our identity needs to be our defense. I expect we will be drafting higher next year do to our schedule. I imagine Andy will be itching for a WR.