ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Quarterback Tournament: Somewhere in the Finals (Final Eight) (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=264876)

Ebolapox 10-09-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suds79 (Post 8995181)
Right. Not saying Montana isn't great himself. To me he's #2.

But Elway is #1. Just my opinion. Is it possible for us not to be biased against him because he was a Bronco?

It was merely my counter to any body that points out that John didn't win it all until he had Davis. I can simply counter with look at all the talent Joe had.

Rice, Craig, Lott (I'm sure several others I'm forgetting). Those teams were absolutely loaded.

montana's first SB team wasn't loaded. dwight clark was above average, but other than that, show me who on that team (other than a good defense) that was above average. seriously.

htismaqe 10-09-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dog (Post 8995702)
Re-read the OP..... you think he was referring to the 2nd preseason game?

Probably not. Probably a faulty assumption on my part.

Codered 10-09-2012 12:12 PM

Farve over Elway? O.o

only on a Chiefs ... or Packers forum would this happen.

Rain Man 10-09-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codered (Post 8995784)
Farve over Elway? O.o

only on a Chiefs ... or Packers forum would this happen.

I bet a Colts forum would do it pretty easily, too. Elway was a colossal bust for that team. It wasn't until his second team that he even got a starting position.

Codered 10-09-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 8995789)
I bet a Colts forum would do it pretty easily, too. Elway was a colossal bust for that team. It wasn't until his second team that he even got a starting position.

Ha! Good point!

mikey23545 10-09-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COchief (Post 8995421)
Manning is Marino, the only difference is he happened to get a SB win. Both are pussies when it comes down to it. Brady, Big Ben, and E Manning have that same clutch refuse to lose mentality when it comes down to it in big games. M&M were both regular season superstars.

You are a ****ing moron...LMAO

All-time leader, career, game-winning 4th quarter drives :

Dan Marino, FIFTY-****ING-ONE of them...

Old Dog 10-09-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey23545 (Post 8995845)

So you're saying he let his team get behind a lot?

whoman69 10-09-2012 01:08 PM

Definite bias on this poll towards more recent QBs. Sammy Baugh, Otto Graham and Johnny Unitas were head and shoulders better than the next best QB in the league in an era where passing was much more difficult. They defined the position.

COchief 10-09-2012 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by COchief
Manning is Marino, the only difference is he happened to get a SB win. Both are pussies when it comes down to it. Brady, Big Ben, and E Manning have that same clutch refuse to lose mentality when it comes down to it in big games. M&M were both regular season superstars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey23545 (Post 8995845)

I am embarrassed for you, go find a poop thread and avoid any further threads with intelligent debate please, for your sake.

COchief 10-09-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 8995936)
Definite bias on this poll towards more recent QBs. Sammy Baugh, Otto Graham and Johnny Unitas were head and shoulders better than the next best QB in the league in an era where passing was much more difficult. They defined the position.

I see your point, but you have to consider eras and athleticism. Baugh, Graham, and Unitas never faced down athletes like Deion Sanders, Ed Reed, and so forth. If you put Dick Butkis in today's NFL would he even make the team?

I truly do understand, I will probably be on a message board arguing Brady was the best QB of all time in 40 years to a bunch of 20 somethings that don't even know who he is. Just not really a discussion you can have unless you're on a AARP message board.

Plus what are we supposed to do, go watch entire seasons of 1950s football? We can really only comment on recent QBs, am I supposed to be able to tell if Terry Bradshaw was a good/great/average qb? I was shitting in my diapers when he was playing.

cosmo20002 10-09-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COchief (Post 8995223)
Look at how good Bowe's career numbers have been thus far, imagine if he was drafted by Pats/Indy and didn't have to deal with Huard/Thigpen/Cassel's shit passes.

Actually, Bowe seems to be better at catching the shit passes than the ones that hit him in the hands.

Pasta Little Brioni 10-09-2012 01:24 PM

Gotta give Elway the nod over Favre. Montana no...Wrangler boy yes. I shall puke now.

COchief 10-09-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 8995971)
Actually, Bowe seems to be better at catching the shit passes than the ones that hit him in the hands.

Oddly I agree and that does seem to be the case with him a lot of the times, maybe years of catching only horrible balls have ill-prepared him to catch one in the numbers. Like when they do actually happen, he's like "oh shit, I'm not used to catching these types of passes".

whoman69 10-09-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COchief (Post 8995969)
I see your point, but you have to consider eras and athleticism. Baugh, Graham, and Unitas never faced down athletes like Deion Sanders, Ed Reed, and so forth. If you put Dick Butkis in today's NFL would he even make the team?

I truly do understand, I will probably be on a message board arguing Brady was the best QB of all time in 40 years to a bunch of 20 somethings that don't even know who he is. Just not really a discussion you can have unless you're on a AARP message board.

Plus what are we supposed to do, go watch entire seasons of 1950s football? We can really only comment on recent QBs, am I supposed to be able to tell if Terry Bradshaw was a good/great/average qb? I was shitting in my diapers when he was playing.

Emelen Tunnel, Nightrain Lane. I never saw Baugh or Graham play and only saw Unitas towards the end of his career. You have athletes in every era. Only difference is its a full year job to stay in shape. Butkus is too much a competitor to be held back. Have him work out like today's pros and he would be a much better athlete. I can't see a soft player like Deion playing in the 40s or 50s. The receivers would have shoved him all over the field. Ed Reed make plays with instinct, not athleticism. Can you see Joe Montana holding up in an era when there was no such thing as roughing the passer? Can you see a timing QB like Brady having success when there was no 5 yard chuck rule?

Rain Man 10-09-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 8995971)

It's because he has a lot more practice catching the bad balls. The ones that hit him in the hands are a surprise.