ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Mad Men (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=231096)

keg in kc 04-22-2012 10:25 PM

Pretty fantastic episode.

Buck 04-22-2012 10:37 PM

Ok, so any episode that focuses on Don, Peggy, Pete, or Roger are the best.

I don't really like Joan. Her and Lane are the only ones that get much attention other than the first 4 I mentioned. I'm sort of upset that Lane is getting thrown in there with Joan. Not saying it's not good, just her storyline doesn't interest me at all.

P.S. Tomorrow I'm going to start smoking a joint in the movie theater. Hopefully it ends in a handy.

Demonpenz 04-23-2012 12:02 PM

Good episode. Cars were wonderful. Roger on acid. The old dude telling Don to stop sucking.

DJ's left nut 04-23-2012 12:35 PM

I didn't really like that episode. Roger on acid felt more like a sitcom moment than it did Mad Men. There wasn't any of the nuance we're used to seeing in Mad Men - mostly just a 'dramatic' version of slapstick comedy.

I still can't stand Peggy. I liked her pulling a 'Don' in the Heinz pitch, but WTF was the rest of the episode about? Once again, she's just proven to be something of a whiny slut that can't quite figure out what the hell she wants to do with herself, but whatever it is, the world clearly owes it to her to make it happen. I will never understand the affinity for her character.

Douche move, Don. Douche move. Meaghan was being a bit of a bitch, but Don was being a total tool. Yeah Don - she decided she didn't like sherbert just to embarrass you... Don deserved to sweat that one out, IMO. In the end, that was the only redeeming value to the show; the fact that Don really had a bit of a human moment where he kinda got put in his place, both personally and professionally. That never really happens to him and it was a long time coming.

C- episode, IMO.

bandwagonjumper 04-23-2012 01:42 PM

Its kinda OT but how is Alison Brie in Mad Men. She plays Trudy Campbell. I only know from Community where she is hilarious but I doubt she plays the same kind of role in Mad Men.

Demonpenz 04-23-2012 03:42 PM

She is Pete's slap piece

Baby Lee 04-23-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8560744)
Douche move, Don. Douche move. Meaghan was being a bit of a bitch, but Don was being a total tool. Yeah Don - she decided she didn't like sherbert just to embarrass you... Don deserved to sweat that one out, IMO. In the end, that was the only redeeming value to the show; the fact that Don really had a bit of a human moment where he kinda got put in his place, both personally and professionally. That never really happens to him and it was a long time coming.

It was a tense situation, but if I had the mother situation Dick Whitman had and my wife told me 'why don't you call her,' I'd be considerably less restrained.

Reaper16 04-23-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8560744)
I still can't stand Peggy. I liked her pulling a 'Don' in the Heinz pitch, but WTF was the rest of the episode about? Once again, she's just proven to be something of a whiny slut that can't quite figure out what the hell she wants to do with herself, but whatever it is, the world clearly owes it to her to make it happen. I will never understand the affinity for her character.

DJ:TV watching :: Saccopoo:mock drafts?

Brock 04-24-2012 08:13 PM

Don was being a dick. It isn't like he doesn't know what a bitch looks and acts like, and sweet Meghan ain't it.

Pushead2 04-25-2012 02:37 PM

It was a weird episode for sure. I think something happens dramatically very soon.

Pushead2 04-29-2012 10:05 PM

lackluster episode.

Buck 04-29-2012 10:20 PM

LOL

Reaper16 04-29-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pushead2 (Post 8582265)
lackluster episode.

Fool.

Pitt Gorilla 04-29-2012 11:47 PM

Roger back on his game.

Demonpenz 04-30-2012 08:43 PM

is Megan a spy?

Discuss Thrower 04-30-2012 08:48 PM

I just started watching the series on Netflix, just got done with "Six guys walk into an ad agency..." Jesus Christ that was interesting.

Pushead2 04-30-2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8582331)
Fool.

and?

DJ's left nut 05-01-2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 8584222)
I just started watching the series on Netflix, just got done with "Six guys walk into an ad agency..." Jesus Christ that was interesting.

Should just be "Guy walks into an ad agency"

It's a play off the dude's name...and the fact that he didn't so much walk out of the Ad agency. One of the better episodes.

"Shut the door, have a seat" is the best episode to date, IMO. You're getting closer.

Discuss Thrower 05-01-2012 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8585111)
Should just be "Guy walks into an ad agency"

It's a play off the dude's name...and the fact that he didn't so much walk out of the Ad agency. One of the better episodes.

"Shut the door, have a seat" is the best episode to date, IMO. You're getting closer.

I know I bollocksed the title, but it's awesome how dark the humor of the show is.

Discuss Thrower 05-01-2012 04:53 PM

Okay, that last scene with Pryce and Saint John was ****ing awesome.

BigRedChief 05-01-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 8586135)
Okay, that last scene with Pryce and Saint John was ****ing awesome.

That scene when they were all at the table, staring out blankly, all absorbed in their own thoughts for their own personal reasons was ****ing awesome.

Discuss Thrower 05-01-2012 10:29 PM

The Chrysanthemum and the Sword.. damn, great ep. Betty is an evil bitch, Sally is going to be one screwed up adult (well played AMC for setting themselves up for a riveting spin off series) and Roger, whom is one of my more favorite characters, made himself look like a prick, though I empathize because I have a living great-grandfather that still does not like the Japanese and he didn't even fight in the pacific theater.

Oh and where can I find me a Joan Holloway... or Megan? Zou bisou bisou marthafockers.

EDIT: The Suitcase... ohh man, that shit ain't right at all. Not ****ing right at all.

Pushead2 05-06-2012 11:15 PM

What y'all think?

It was a good "gets you thinking" episode.

OnTheWarpath15 05-15-2012 09:45 AM

No comments on Sunday's episode?

Found it humorous that the focus of an episode airing on Mother's Day was the worst mother in the world, Tubby Betty Draper.

jiveturkey 05-15-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 8616587)
No comments on Sunday's episode?

Found it humorous that the focus of an episode airing on Mother's Day was the worst mother in the world, Tubby Betty Draper.

Roger has been pretty damn funny in most episodes this season.

I also love how everyone is manipulating someone. Sally is a devious little lady.

OnTheWarpath15 05-15-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey (Post 8616653)
Roger has been pretty damn funny in most episodes this season.

I also love how everyone is manipulating someone. Sally is a devious little lady.

Roger has easily been my favorite character this season.

How Jewish are they? Fiddler on the Roof - cast or audience?

Who knows why people in history did good things? For all we know, Jesus was trying to get the loaves and fishes account.

Baked beans and The Rolling Stones: A client’s idea if I ever saw one.

Demonpenz 05-15-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 8617046)
Roger has easily been my favorite character this season.

How Jewish are they? Fiddler on the Roof - cast or audience?

Who knows why people in history did good things? For all we know, Jesus was trying to get the loaves and fishes account.

Baked beans and The Rolling Stones: A client’s idea if I ever saw one.

I could tell the fidler on the roof line was supposed to be awesome. Don't know enough about it though.

Buck 05-15-2012 03:58 PM

One comment Roger made made me think that if anyone dies, it might be Bert Cooper.

He called the firm Sterling, Campbell, Draper, Price. That could be some good foreshadowing.

mikeyis4dcats. 05-16-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8617431)
One comment Roger made made me think that if anyone dies, it might be Bert Cooper.

He called the firm Sterling, Campbell, Draper, Price. That could be some good foreshadowing.

he's just poking at Cooper who does nothing but sit on the couch barefoot.

DJ's left nut 05-16-2012 04:35 PM

"I feel bad for you"

"I don't think about you at all"

{door closes}

That was vintage Draper. It sucks that it was Ginsberg he had to slap down (who is really really good), but it kinda reminded you of the days when he had to give Campbell a daily bitch-slap.

Buck 05-16-2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 8619878)
he's just poking at Cooper who does nothing but sit on the couch barefoot.

I understand the reasoning behind why he said it, but thinking outside the box (Sterling doesn't know he's on a tv show), it could be used as foreshadowing.

Molitoth 05-16-2012 10:38 PM

Just finished Justified and have heard lots of good things about this show; so I just downloaded Season 1. yay. =p

Demonpenz 05-17-2012 12:49 PM

The ginsburg character is a fun one.

Buck 05-17-2012 02:02 PM

Whatever happened to Duck?

Demonpenz 05-17-2012 02:57 PM

Moses Malone tried to shit on a desk in that one drunk episode. He still works at other firm I think?

Pitt Gorilla 05-17-2012 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8622978)
Whatever happened to Duck?

He's on The Killing now.

OnTheWarpath15 05-21-2012 05:27 PM

Shitfaced, driving drunk Don Draper is BACK!

http://www.uproxx.com/wp-content/upl...2/05/EqyA0.gif

Demonpenz 05-21-2012 09:48 PM

when is draper going to get some shit for being drunk all the time!

Buck 05-21-2012 11:02 PM

How can one show be so good?

DJ's left nut 05-22-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 8630282)
Shitfaced, driving drunk Don Draper is BACK!

Was he doing shots in the Jag or something?

If he was supposed to be that drunk during his conversations with Joanne, it certainly didn't show. Nor did it show in his 'determined' driving with the Jag.

It just seemed like they made him really damn drunk all of the sudden for the sake of his conversation with Meghan, when he clearly wasn't that hammered prior to it.

Just seemed like some internal inconsistency for the sake of storytelling - a trap Mad Men rarely falls into.

Saulbadguy 05-22-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8631946)
Was he doing shots in the Jag or something?

If he was supposed to be that drunk during his conversations with Joanne, it certainly didn't show. Nor did it show in his 'determined' driving with the Jag.

It just seemed like they made him really damn drunk all of the sudden for the sake of his conversation with Meghan, when he clearly wasn't that hammered prior to it.

Just seemed like some internal inconsistency for the sake of storytelling - a trap Mad Men rarely falls into.

You've never left the bar buzzed, but then came home drunk?

DJ's left nut 05-22-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 8631958)
You've never left the bar buzzed, but then came home drunk?

When I'm doing shots, sure.

When I'm sipping whiskey - no, not really.

Shots will give you that delayed smashed effect because it's a lot of alcohol in a small window, but when you're just relishing a highball, as Don appeared to do (and you're the experienced drinker Don is), the delayed drunk just doesn't hit you like that.

Red Brooklyn 05-22-2012 02:14 PM

Draper seemed pretty well lit when he left the bar to me.

Buck 05-22-2012 02:27 PM

Umm...he was at the bar for like 8 hours.

Edit: At least 6 IMO.

Demonpenz 05-22-2012 09:39 PM

driving a Jaguar will sober you up, then seeing mehgans teeth will bring you back down.

Pushead2 05-22-2012 11:23 PM

http://i.imgur.com/cCKbt.jpg

bowener 05-23-2012 12:07 AM

He sure seemed ****ing hammered at the bar. He was his old drunk charming self for a glimpse...

Saulbadguy 05-23-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8632079)
When I'm doing shots, sure.

When I'm sipping whiskey - no, not really.

Shots will give you that delayed smashed effect because it's a lot of alcohol in a small window, but when you're just relishing a highball, as Don appeared to do (and you're the experienced drinker Don is), the delayed drunk just doesn't hit you like that.

I dunno. It's never been an exact science with me.

mikeyis4dcats. 05-24-2012 08:03 AM

I did some reading. During this time period, the British income taxes were up to 83% and WERE assessed on those living abroad. Plus an additional 15% for unearned income PLUS capital gains. And Lane would likely have also been responsible for US taxes. No wonder he's going broke.

Discuss Thrower 05-24-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pushead2 (Post 8633164)

Go on.

Discuss Thrower 05-27-2012 08:24 PM

Poor (but possibly rich) Joan.

Oh, and Bow-chicka-wow-wow.

Reaper16 05-27-2012 11:25 PM

I'm unsure right now as to whether that was one of the very best episodes of the series or if it was a possible jump-the-shark moment.

the Talking Can 05-28-2012 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8642814)
I'm unsure right now as to whether that was one of the very best episodes of the series or if it was a possible jump-the-shark moment.

ditto

i watched it twice last night...the set up was crude, and I kept saying 'gross....gross'...
Spoiler!

Reaper16 05-28-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 8643013)
ditto

i watched it twice last night...the set up was crude, and I kept saying 'gross....gross'...
Spoiler!

So much of that episode is great. The acting is superb. The themes (though not presented subtly at all) are ones that speak to the very core and purpose of the show (it's always been the most feminist drama in TV history). It makes the audience feel absolutely disgusted and disgusting, which is a good thing; it speaks to the power of the episode.

But I'm still undecided as to whether the episode made its characters act out-of-character for the sake of the plot. I need to watch it a couple more times.

Buck 05-28-2012 03:52 PM

If i was voted Student-Council President there would always be pizza for lunch and a new episode of Mad Men every day.

Bambi 05-28-2012 06:33 PM

I watched Mad Men for the first time last night. Think I might start from the beginning. I liked it.

Pushead2 05-28-2012 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8642814)

I agree...I was totally shocked.

Spoiler!

Reaper16 05-28-2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pushead2 (Post 8644280)
I agree...I was totally shocked.

Spoiler!

My concern isn't with

Spoiler!

Pushead2 05-28-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8644286)
My concern isn't with

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Reaper16 05-28-2012 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pushead2 (Post 8644292)
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Discuss Thrower 05-28-2012 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8644304)
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Pushead2 05-28-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 8644311)
Spoiler!

I don't like the sound of this....

Spoiler!

1moreTRich 05-29-2012 08:48 AM

Quote:

My concern isn't with

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Buck 05-30-2012 06:29 AM

Quote:

My concern isn't with

Spoiler!

Don't know wtf is going on with the spoiler-fest in here, but I think that they've been trying to show Pete Campbell snake his way into the more important decision making, and he's finally broken through. It took a while, but it happened. Don't think it was jump the shark at all.

Kyle DeLexus 05-30-2012 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8646524)
Don't know wtf is going on with the spoiler-fest in here, but I think that they've been trying to show Pete Campbell snake his way into the more important decision making, and he's finally broken through. It took a while, but it happened. Don't think it was jump the shark at all.

This was my thought on it as well. Also the fact that Pete had already approached Joan before the meeting made the outcome realistic. If he hadn't talked to her it would have been no's all around, but since Pete had laid the ground work it was "I'm shocked, I'm appalled, you take care of it."

Demonpenz 05-30-2012 11:18 AM

The "Regroup" smirk/smile when Pete had his back towards joan was classic mad men.

DJ's left nut 05-30-2012 11:27 PM

A) I don't much care for Peggy, so I don't much mind that she's leaving. I've made my opinion w/r/t her known, so I think the show will be fine without her.

B) Those that do like Peggy have to want her to leave. When she told Don that she knew it's what he would do, she was exactly right. SCDP will never not have Don in charge of creative. Peggy, as headstrong and proud as she is, absolutely believes she could be that person in charge of creative someday. She's blocked at SCDP and was given a chance to make a ton of money and take a clear promotion to a clear path at superstardom at a new agency.

Peggy staying at SCDP would have been what Reaper was concerned about - characters acting outside of their character. This was clearly the Peggy move and the right one for her to make.

I don't know how they can keep her as a significant part of the show without losing a great deal of time that would be spent on the development of the agency. There are only so many broadcast minutes and they can't be spent trying to spin a story along with a 2nd agency.

I think Peggy's gone.

Red Brooklyn 05-31-2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8649006)
I don't know how they can keep her as a significant part of the show without losing a great deal of time that would be spent on the development of the agency. There are only so many broadcast minutes and they can't be spent trying to spin a story along with a 2nd agency.

Get rid of the Betty subplots and fill those minutes with Peggy subplots.

If Peggy is gone for good, they're going to have to give the audience a new voice. Maybe Don changes? Maybe Joan shifts? I don't know. But, I think, it's too late to introduce a new "Peggy."

And I just can't see the show leaving the audience voiceless for long.

But I agree that it was the right move at the right time. As much as I hate to see her leave SCDP, she had to. I get it. And I'm proud of her. But I can't see her being gone (from the show) for good.

At the very least, surely, we would have heard by now if Elizabeth Moss was leaving the show, right? Be pretty impressive to keep that under wraps.

Thig Lyfe 05-31-2012 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 8649447)
If Peggy is gone for good, they're going to have to give the audience a new voice.

Ginsberg?

DJ's left nut 05-31-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 8649447)
Get rid of the Betty subplots and fill those minutes with Peggy subplots.

If Peggy is gone for good, they're going to have to give the audience a new voice. Maybe Don changes? Maybe Joan shifts? I don't know. But, I think, it's too late to introduce a new "Peggy."

And I just can't see the show leaving the audience voiceless for long.

But I agree that it was the right move at the right time. As much as I hate to see her leave SCDP, she had to. I get it. And I'm proud of her. But I can't see her being gone (from the show) for good.

At the very least, surely, we would have heard by now if Elizabeth Moss was leaving the show, right? Be pretty impressive to keep that under wraps.

I suppose you could get rid of the Betty subplots by having Sally finally kill her. There's your plot twist, eh?

Starting to wonder if ol' Lane isn't gonna be the one to get bumped off. I wouldn't really care that much; Lane's a special sort of slime. He's essentially a sneakier version of Roger. Roger is just out in the open with his proclivities, whereas Lane is a manipulative little prick with the same personal shortcomings and none of the gravitas to own them.

Reaper16 05-31-2012 11:04 AM

I'll put money down that Peggy isn't gone from the show. She's an integral part of the show. A goddamned pillar.

mikeyis4dcats. 05-31-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8649545)
I suppose you could get rid of the Betty subplots by having Sally finally kill her. There's your plot twist, eh?

Starting to wonder if ol' Lane isn't gonna be the one to get bumped off. I wouldn't really care that much; Lane's a special sort of slime. He's essentially a sneakier version of Roger. Roger is just out in the open with his proclivities, whereas Lane is a manipulative little prick with the same personal shortcomings and none of the gravitas to own them.

I'm cutting Lane a little slack. I did some reading and at the time of this episode, British citizens paid as much as 83% in taxes to the Crown. Plus a possible 15% more in unearned income PLUS capital gains. Plus Lane would be paying US taxes as well. He's really in a hole.

Baby Lee 05-31-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 8649630)
I'm cutting Lane a little slack. I did some reading and at the time of this episode, British citizens paid as much as 83% in taxes to the Crown. Plus a possible 15% more in unearned income PLUS capital gains. Plus Lane would be paying US taxes as well. He's really in a hole.

Plus he loves cheap horror movies and a big ass steak.

Red Brooklyn 05-31-2012 12:20 PM

If I were a betting man... and I'm not... and I'm usually wrong about these things... I'd say Peggy is still a part of the show moving forward, and that, yes, Lane will probably end up dead by the end of this season.

I told my wife after the last episode that I really didn't have a good feeling about Lane. I like Lane, but he's desperate.

Frankly, I'd love to see Sally off Betty. I don't care how uncharacteristic it might be!

But, seriously, I'm not sure why Betty is still a part of the show. She's been largely absent this season and I haven't missed her.

Pitt Gorilla 05-31-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 8649782)
If I were a betting man... and I'm not... and I'm usually wrong about these things... I'd say Peggy is still a part of the show moving forward, and that, yes, Lane will probably end up dead by the end of this season.

I told my wife after the last episode that I really didn't have a good feeling about Lane. I like Lane, but he's desperate.

Frankly, I'd love to see Sally off Betty. I don't care how uncharacteristic it might be!

But, seriously, I'm not sure why Betty is still a part of the show. She's been largely absent this season and I haven't missed her.

Any chance Peggy comes back as a partner?

DJ's left nut 05-31-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 8649630)

I believe it was still marginal rates, though.

His 83% tax bracket wasn't on his entire income, just on probably the top 10% of it.

He's still a worm.

DJ's left nut 05-31-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 8649956)

What would she do, though?

I guess if she became a heavy-hitter in creative and could bring clients with her upon a return to SCDP, they'd bring her in. But if you notice the partnership structure, it seems to be the rainmaker 'account-men' at the top; the gladhanders, etc..., with their top-dog creative guy in tow. Partnership is more about generating clients than ideas. And ultimately, does that strike you as something Peggy is likely to excel at? They'd have to develop her character a great deal to make her more of an accounts and ideas person.

That or they'd have to get to a point where Don becomes more of an accounts guy and Peggy becomes the lead creative partner. Otherwise you just have a clash of titans in the partnership structure and some fairly redundant parts.

She'd have to bring some clients with her and there would have to be a fairly significant shakeup in the partnership roles...likely with Campbell being the guy to fall on a sword.

Another thought - could Joanne's ascension to partnership help ease the tracks for a Lane demise? They both serve essentially the same role.

Red Brooklyn 05-31-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 8649956)

Could be interesting. Lane dies, Don offers Peggy a partnership to get her back (and to get at Pete). Something along those lines could be interesting. I'm sure they'd find a way to sell it.

Demonpenz 05-31-2012 01:34 PM

Peggy Marries Duck Freddy Falls off wagon and aggrees to piss on Don for cash.

Reaper16 05-31-2012 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8649972)

Another thought - could Joanne's ascension to partnership help ease the tracks for a Lane demise? They both serve essentially the same role.

Yes, of course it does. Lane even says in a line of dialogue this season that Joan does all the same work as him.

There's been a suicide foreshadowed all season, and at this point it'll be a mega-swerve if Lane isn't the one who offs themselves.