ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports MLB prepared to ban Alex Rodriguez for life (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274965)

Rams Fan 07-31-2013 05:36 PM

MLB prepared to ban Alex Rodriguez for life

Quote:

Commissioner Bud Selig is prepared to levy a lifetime suspension on New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez, while suspending about eight others before the weekend, two people with knowledge of the negotiations told USA TODAY Sports.

The people were unauthorized to speak publicly because no announcement is expected until Thursday or Friday.

Rodriguez, according to his attorney, David Cornwell, will appeal any suspension, regardless of the severity. The other players are expected to receive 50-game bans, and most are considering accepting the discipline without appealing, according to one of the people.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...nesis/2606319/

blaise 07-31-2013 05:42 PM

The lifetime ban is a threat to effectively ban him from the Hall of Fame. He doesn't have that many games in him anyway, but the HOF rules state that a banned player isn't eligible. So, this is MLB saying, "You're not even getting to a HOF vote unless you admit you took roids and go away."
You could say he wouldn't get in anyway, but there's a chance that once Bonds gets in (which he will eventually) the rest of the roid guys could get in, too. So he probably thinks he could still get in the HOF.
My belief anyway.

BlackHelicopters 07-31-2013 05:43 PM

Note to self: Don't associate with dirtbags.

Canofbier 07-31-2013 05:44 PM

Is there a way for him to not play but still occupy space on the Yankees payroll? That would make me happy, I think.

Rams Fan 07-31-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 9848687)
The lifetime ban is a threat to effectively ban him from the Hall of Fame. He doesn't have that many games in him anyway, but the HOF rules state that a banned player isn't eligible. So, this is MLB saying, "You're not even getting to a HOF vote unless you admit you took roids and go away."
You could say he wouldn't get in anyway, but there's a chance that once Bonds gets in (which he will eventually) the rest of the roid guys could get in, too. So he probably thinks he could still get in the HOF.
My belief anyway.

If he is banned for life, he won't go in until Rose's ban is withdrawn, IMO.

Eleazar 07-31-2013 05:45 PM

It will be a shame if McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, or any of these other guys who ruined sports' greatest record EVER get in, even by the veterans' committee.

The league used to say Pete Rose had "tarnished the game", but what the juicers did was much worse, IMO.

Rasputin 07-31-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 9848693)
It will be a shame if McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, or any of these other guys who ruined sports' greatest record EVER get in, even by the veterans' committee.

The league used to say Pete Rose had "tarnished the game", but what the juicers did was much worse, IMO.

I think Pete Rose should be in the HOF.

Saul Good 07-31-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 9848693)

Trying to win is not worse than trying to lose...not even close.

Frazod 07-31-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9848707)
I think Pete Rose should be in the HOF.

Certainly before Bonds, Sosa or McGwire.

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-31-2013 05:58 PM

I'd be fine with putting them all in, save for Braun, who ruined a guy's life to cover his own ass.

stonedstooge 07-31-2013 06:00 PM

A-Dud ever test positive for PED's? If not, how the hell can they ban him?

HonestChieffan 07-31-2013 06:01 PM

Sorry Alex.....Bye.

Frazod 07-31-2013 06:05 PM

The cynic in me is thinking its the Yankmees that are pushing his lifetime ban behind the scenes, just so they can get out from under his bloated, ridiculous contract.

The only thing I'd like about him beating the rap is continuing to **** them over.

Rasputin 07-31-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9848715)
Certainly before Bonds, Sosa or McGwire.

Honest question to MLB. How many players bet on baseball just don't get caught?

pr_capone 07-31-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonedstooge (Post 9848737)
A-Dud ever test positive for PED's? If not, how the hell can they ban him?

In February 2009, Selena Roberts and David Epstein of Sports Illustrated reported that Rodriguez had tested positive for two anabolic steroids, testosterone and Primobolan, during his 2003 season playing for the Texas Rangers, the same season in which he captured his first American League Most Valuable Player award, broke 300 career home runs (hitting 47 that year),[92] and earned one of his ten Silver Slugger Awards.

He was one of the reasons why MLB instituted mandatory drug testing to begin with. His getting popped in 03 didn't count against him though... but his continual lying and impeding investigations is what they are gonna hit him for. PED's will be secondary. There have been a few articles stating that by banning him via the collective barganing agreement, the suspension will be immediate. By going through the PED agreement, A-Rod would be able to appeal the decision and be allowed to continue playing while the appeals process took place.