ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   KU KU isn't overlooking Oakland (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=218813)

Mr. Laz 11-25-2009 10:40 AM

KU isn't overlooking Oakland

Posted on Tue, Nov. 24, 2009 11:16 PM

Kansas University Men's Basketball

KU isn’t overlooking Oakland
By J. BRADY McCOLLOUGH
The Kansas City Star

LAWRENCE | Odds are, not many of the Kansas Jayhawks will know very much about five of their next six opponents.

Oakland, Tennessee Tech and Alcorn State will lead into KU’s Dec. 6 showdown at UCLA, which is followed by Radford and La Salle.

KU coach Bill Self said he will try to be honest with his top-ranked team about what it should expect from less familiar competition. In the case of the Oakland Golden Grizzlies, tonight’s opponent from the Summit League, Self won’t have to embellish to get their attention.

“We will be honest with them that this is a team that has a history of beating people,” Self said, “and they could certainly beat us if we don’t come ready to play.”

Oakland, located near Detroit, returns all five of its starters from a 23-13 team, and the Golden Grizzlies have been picked to win the Summit.

For a point of reference, Oakland nearly won the Summit League last year, losing to North Dakota State 66-64 in the Summit tournament title game. North Dakota State, of course, put a scare into Kansas in the first round of the NCAA Tournament before the Jayhawks prevailed 84-74.

“I think they’ll be a very, very difficult game for us,” Self said. “With the exception of Memphis, they’re by far the best challenge we’ve had, and it may be comparable to the Memphis game.”

Apparently, the Jayhawks have taken notice.

“It’s one of those games you really look forward to,” center Cole Aldrich said.

Point guard Sherron Collins added: “They’re a tough team, scrappy. We’re not looking at any team as a pushover.”

To reach J. Brady McCollough, call 816-234-4363, send e-mail to jmccollough@kcstar.com or follow him at twitter.com/BradyMcCollough
<!-- -->

CoMoChief 11-25-2009 11:01 AM

Meh....that's just coach speak. These players don't really think OAK is going to present a problem for them. Having that said I don't think they're gonna get big-headed.

IMO they're looking to the UCLA out in LA. That's their 1st real test, even if UCLA isn't as good as in recent past. It's gonna be a tough road game.

Having that said it was good for them to have that close down to the wire Memphis game.

Pants 11-25-2009 11:02 AM

I have a really bad feeling about this game tonight. Will you do me a huge favor, CoMo and, PLEASE, don't predict anything?

CoMoChief 11-25-2009 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metrolike (Post 6293264)
I have a really bad feeling about this game tonight. Will you do me a huge favor, CoMo and, PLEASE, don't predict anything?

Superstitions, good luck charms and what have not, are for losers.

KU blows out OAK 89-59 :evil:

Bearcat 11-25-2009 11:19 AM

Quote:

“We will be honest with them that this is a team that has a history of beating people,” Self said
Besides beating Oregon a couple of years ago, I'm not seeing it. :shrug:

Eh, it doesn't matter what Self or any of the players say, it's hard to get up for these games, and sometimes that can bite you in the ass. If they lose any of these games, the world won't end.

kepp 11-25-2009 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 6293163)
Posted on Tue, Nov. 24, 2009 11:16 PM
KU isn’t overlooking Oakland

It sure smells like ku overlooks Oakland.

BigVE 11-25-2009 11:37 AM

KU appeared to overlook Memphis and about got clipped...it won't happen this week. It will be relatively close at half time (KU by 10) and then KU will walk away with it in the 2nd half.

Reerun_KC 11-25-2009 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kepp (Post 6293372)
It sure smells like ku overlooks Oakland.

You only hope...

MU fans, just like KSU fans live their days for a KU loss... Without a KU slip up here and there, you guys would have zero reason to exist...

:D

CoMoChief 11-25-2009 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigVE (Post 6293387)
KU appeared to overlook Memphis and about got clipped...it won't happen this week. It will be relatively close at half time (KU by 10) and then KU will walk away with it in the 2nd half.

Well it was evident that KU overlooked Memphis when after the game, (I forget who, maybe Collins) said that "We should have beaten that team by a lot more"

CoMoChief 11-25-2009 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 6293416)
You only hope...

MU fans, just like KSU fans live their days for a KU loss... Without a KU slip up here and there, you guys would have zero reason to exist...

Hence, MU fans who wear Bucknell T-shirts.

kepp 11-25-2009 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 6293416)
You only hope...

No, see...I was making a play on words and comparing the natural smell of lawrence to...oh, nevermind.

Reerun_KC 11-25-2009 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 6293491)

Cant you see why? That was one of the biggest moments in MU athletic history....

You would sport that around like I sport around National Champions gear...

Titty Meat 11-25-2009 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 6293491)

Aren't you a Mizzou fan?

kepp 11-25-2009 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billay (Post 6293834)
Aren't you a Mizzou fan?

I think it depends on the day, or the weather...or something like that.

Sure-Oz 11-25-2009 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billay (Post 6293834)
Aren't you a Mizzou fan?

he doesn't know