ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Romeo: Lilja is starting Center, Allen starting Guard (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=264294)

Ace Gunner 09-26-2012 08:07 PM

Romeo: Lilja is starting Center, Allen starting Guard

I'm happy with this decision. I liked watching Lilja run the offense from the center position and Allen has got to be an improvement at LG during run plays if he develops some.

Romeo also said Hudson has "a broken bone" but would not say specifically which bone it is. He won't be back this season. I'm all for developing a OL guy letting him play through it, but I liked what Lilja brought to the offense last game once he switched to center.

Here's Romeo's presser;

http://www.kcchiefs.com/media-center...e-24679d32e888

Mr. Laz 09-26-2012 08:08 PM

glad we aren't trying to start one of the new guys

hopefully lilja and Allen will perform well

petegz28 09-26-2012 08:11 PM

This could be a blessing really. Not that Lilja is better than Hudson at C but he does have more experience but more importantly it gets Allen on the field and a chance to prove he should not be taken off.

Ace Gunner 09-26-2012 08:25 PM

I saw Lilja mauling LB's during that game, so ya, he's better than hudson right now. Also, Allen sprung the big block that allowed Jamaal to hit the corner and score.

ThaVirus 09-26-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou_Zare (Post 8953353)
I saw Lilja mauling LB's during that game, so ya, he's better than hudson right now. Also, Allen sprung the big block that allowed Jamaal to hit the corner and score.

Did he? I thought someone posted PFF rankings indicating he did a terrible job when he stepped in.

I couldn't tell. Watched the game online and the feed was choppy.

Buns 09-26-2012 08:41 PM

Always the outside chance that we bring Hudson back from IR if need be

Ace Gunner 09-26-2012 08:44 PM

Whoops, it was Albert not Allen that sealed the edge on Jamaal's run, but you can see Allen pancake the NT during the play. He's a big fella, he'll be good for the run game.

Lilja added spark to the offense with his quick move off the ball. He's small too , so DT's are going to have trouble getting under him. That QB sneak was Lilja's victory up front there.

Ace Gunner 09-26-2012 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virtua Chief (Post 8953383)
Always the outside chance that we bring Hudson back from IR if need be

No, Romeo said Hudson is out for the season. "He's not going to be able to come back" said "by the time he's able to come back, season will be over".

milkman 09-26-2012 08:51 PM

This news falls under the category of "Well.....Duh...".

petegz28 09-26-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou_Zare (Post 8953353)

In looking back I think he got away with a huge hold as well. He had his right arm around the back of the defender. Methinks the real Refs call that holding and bring it back.

petegz28 09-26-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 8953356)
Did he? I thought someone posted PFF rankings indicating he did a terrible job when he stepped in.

The line played better for a bit after Lilja moved to C. But after a bit the Saints just started keying on the run and shut it down again but that was more to do the fact they knew we would be running.

JC's 2 biggest runs came with Lilja at C. I think his experience might pay off here at calling the protections and whatnot of Hudson's thought he physical play of Hudson will be missed.

petegz28 09-26-2012 09:39 PM

Well I know it sounds stupid but now we have a veteran playing next to a young guy on the O-line. For whatever that's worth.

ILChief 09-27-2012 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 8953456)
In looking back I think he got away with a huge hold as well. He had his right arm around the back of the defender. Methinks the real Refs call that holding and bring it back.

Tamba disagrees

htismaqe 09-27-2012 06:13 AM

I've heard several people that interact with Lilja say there's NO WAY he's much more than about 270. He's the real veteran in the interior line so he should know the protections and be able to make those calls.

Is it possible he's a MUCH better center than guard?

mcaj22 09-27-2012 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 8953356)

PFF gave him a -3.4 or something. So yes, he was awful