ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   WPI - Larry's Back (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=151331)

Hammock Parties 11-04-2006 03:33 PM

WPI - Larry's Back

http://chiefs.scout.com/2/586619.html

You might have thought something was wrong when Larry Johnson barely broke the century mark at home against the San Francisco 49ers.

You might have thought Johnson’s 2005 season was a mirage when the Arizona Cardinals forced him to limp his way to a meager 36 yards on 16 carries.

You might have thought Johnson was in for a long year after the Pittsburgh Steelers held him to perhaps his worst game as a pro in Week 6.

You.

Thought.

Wrong.

“I don’t get hit, I give hits.”

- Larry Johnson, after 39 carries against Seattle.

Welcome back, angry Larry. We missed you.

The Chiefs and Johnson had a big mountain to climb over the last two weeks. San Diego and Seattle fielded two of the NFL’s best run defenses before visiting Kansas City.

Fortunately, it can’t rain all the time. The Chiefs scaled the mountain.

After piling up 287 combined rushing yards against the Chargers and Seahawks, there’s no doubt in my mind that Larry is back for good. If the Chiefs can run on those two teams, they can run on anyone.

From here on out, it gets a little easier, starting this week against St. Louis. To put it bluntly, the Rams are standing on the tracks, and the train’s coming through.

Everyone runs on the Rams this year. The Cardinals, owners of the worst running game in the NFL, ran for a season-high 101 yards on St. Louis back in Week 3. The Seahawks' running game is ranked 26th and racked up 125 three weeks later.

This matchup looks like it favors the Chiefs, but don’t forget that the Cardinals had one of the league’s worst run defenses too, and they stuffed Johnson.

It doesn’t look like that will happen this week. After last Sunday's contest, Johnson said he felt like he left a 200-yard game on the field. He might just find it this week.

The Chiefs will also get to face Cleveland (28th against the run) and Oakland (24th) twice over the last half of the season.

Jacksonville, Denver, Miami and Baltimore still present tough challenges over the rest of the schedule, so stay angry, Larry.

It was nice to see Larry get it going over the last two weeks, but there’s a couple of other Chiefs that need to step it up: Patrick Surtain and Ty Law.

I realize the Chiefs are ranked seventh against the pass, but over the last month they’re giving up 226 yards through the air per game. Not good.

The Chiefs are paying Surtain and Law more than anyone else on the roster, according to Fox Sports’ team salary page. Have they played at a level that deserves that kind of money?

Surtain and Law have combined for three interceptions and seven passes defensed. Broncos Pro-Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey has posted those numbers alone this year (interestingly enough, his salary is almost exactly equal to Surtain and Law’s combined).

There are other premier corners outplaying KC’s tandem, too. Atlanta’s DeAngelo Hall has posted four interceptions and nine passes defensed already. Jacksonville’s Rashean Mathis has four and 10.

The Chiefs need Surtain and Law playing at their highest level this week more than perhaps any other. Kansas City won’t face a better wide receiver duo than Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce all year.

Given the way the Chiefs’ pass rush looked against Seattle last week, you can probably count on Marc Bulger getting plenty of time in the pocket tomorrow. That means the way KC’s corners play will be instrumental in whether or not the defense gets off the field.

If Surtain and Law can give Jared Allen and Tamba Hali an extra second or two to get to Bulger, it might make all the difference. At the very least, maybe they can avoid falling down and dropping pick-six interceptions this week.

Que Card QB 11-04-2006 03:41 PM

Let's hope our O-Line is back too.

Deberg_1990 11-04-2006 05:28 PM

Lets hope the road warriors are back the way we played in the 90's instead of the DV road pussies.

FloridaMan88 11-05-2006 01:15 AM

Is WPI's motto "We Report the Obvious"?

Hammock Parties 11-05-2006 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsfan88

It's an opinion column. I'm not a reporter.

Thig Lyfe 11-05-2006 01:27 AM

You really, really like 1-2 sentence paragraphs.

Hammock Parties 11-05-2006 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowheadWolf

I don't know what your point is. That's a common trait in many columns across a wide variety of media outlets.

Phobia 11-05-2006 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsfan88

Do you know how much money John Madden makes per year? Boom!!!!

Thig Lyfe 11-05-2006 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoChiefs
I don't know what your point is. That's a common trait in many columns across a wide variety of media outlets.

Conformist.

The Bad Guy 11-05-2006 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowheadWolf

1-2 sentence paragraphs are a staple in sports stories.