ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Fox - Gotham (Pre Batman) (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=276659)

007 09-24-2014 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 10943769)
The way they introduced the villains was fairly disrespectful to the audience, IMO. It would have been more interesting to figure out the characters over time.

Yeah, they didn't waste any time at all revealing them. Of course, the people watching this series probably already knew who they were anyway. I found the Selina Kyle intro interesting in that she is older than Bruce and witnessed his parents murder.

Jamie 09-24-2014 01:04 AM

I didn't have a problem with how they used Penguin or Selina, but Poison Ivy seemed like a pointless throw-in. I don't think the comedian was a proto-Joker, it was just a wink at the audience. They have to be careful as the show goes on though, it's going to be ridiculous if they end up with Batman's entire rogues gallery running around like the tween Legion of Doom.

Also it would have been nice if they could have found a way to make this show be Affleck-Batman's backstory, but Warner Bros probably isn't capable of that kind of planning and cooperation even if they wanted to do it.

siberian khatru 09-24-2014 07:48 AM

I liked it, it has promise.

But I agree that the villain introductions were too on the nose, especially Penguin. At least with others they left it to just Nygma and Ivy, which noobs may not get immediately. But should've left it at Oswald, rather than calling him Penguin.

Pitt Gorilla 09-24-2014 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 10943956)
I liked it, it has promise.

But I agree that the villain introductions were too on the nose, especially Penguin. At least with others they left it to just Nygma and Ivy, which noobs may not get immediately. But should've left it at Oswald, rather than calling him Penguin.

Longer arcs where the audience got to actually deduce who the characters were or would become would have been much better. This is TV; you've got time. Do it right.

kcfanXIII 09-24-2014 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 10943769)
The way they introduced the villains was fairly disrespectful to the audience, IMO. It would have been more interesting to figure out the characters over time.

I agree completely with this statement. Also, I didn't need to see them all in the first episode. It wasn't a bad show, and I'll dvr it and watch it next week. it could still be total crap, or pretty good.

ragedogg69 10-02-2014 09:50 AM

pretty much sums up my thoughts completely:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/u7jZ8IW1xjM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TL;DR: If this wasnt about Batman it would be a pretty lousy cop procedural.

BWillie 10-02-2014 06:20 PM

It seems okay. Would like them to go deeper into the corruptions of Gotham..and let James Gordon be more of a side story like the little kid Bruce Wayne.

bowener 10-03-2014 07:10 PM

From my friends I have heard nothing but terrible things about this show.

keg in kc 10-22-2014 06:40 PM

So I've finally caught up on the season. Have to say I like it so far. Much like The Flash it has its moments of dumb, but it's well produced and well acted and entertaining so far. And it has a full season order, so it's not going anywhere.

And in news that I'm sure many here will like, it's been announced today that Morena Baccarin is joining the cast in a recurring role as Dr. Leslie Thompkins.

Ragged Robin 10-22-2014 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 10976691)
From my friends I have heard nothing but terrible things about this show.

This. I've already seen Nolan shit on the Batverse in the movies and then DC itself shit on it with the New 52, I couldn't stand seeing it shit on this hard on the small screen too.

Mother****erJones 10-22-2014 09:51 PM

I like the series so far. Surprisingly.

Jamie 10-23-2014 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragged Robin (Post 11042560)
This. I've already seen Nolan shit on the Batverse in the movies and then DC itself shit on it with the New 52, I couldn't stand seeing it shit on this hard on the small screen too.

Do you like anything that's not written by Grant Morrison?

Ragged Robin 10-23-2014 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 11043033)
Do you like anything that's not written by Grant Morrison?

Sorry dude, I think Scott Snyder is a good writer and did a great job with Swamp Thing and his run on 'Tec was epic (I also own this TP), but his New 52 Batman stuff... not my Batman. His little crony Kyle Higgins completely destroyed Nightwing as well.

lcarus 10-23-2014 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragged Robin (Post 11042560)

Nolan's Batverse was ****ing awesome. I understand the things you wouldn't care for in it, as I didn't care for some things, but god damn it was a great trilogy. Much better than the Burton and Schumacher shitfests.

Jamie 10-23-2014 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragged Robin (Post 11043279)
Sorry dude, I think Scott Snyder is a good writer and did a great job with Swamp Thing and his run on 'Tec was epic (I also own this TP), but his New 52 Batman stuff... not my Batman. His little crony Kyle Higgins completely destroyed Nightwing as well.

I've noticed that your comic takes in general tend to be Morrison-centric, and I was reacting more to you characterizing the Nolan movies as shitting on Batman.

I haven't particularly enjoyed Snyder's run, but I don't see how it shits on the character either. Bad comics are temporary. Leatherface Joker is idiotic, but temporary. Over time the good bits stick and the bad stuff is forgotten. If someone wants to start reading Batman you don't tell them to work their way forward from Detective 27, you recommend the best stuff.