ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Will The NFL Never Learn? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=98159)

philfree 09-10-2004 02:35 PM

Will The NFL Never Learn?

Will The NFL Never Learn?
9/10/2004 5:51 AM

By Rufus Dawes | FAQ

September 10, 2004 (morning)--The game’s purists will no doubt protest. Still others will simply ignore it or shake their heads that this is another example of the NFL’s arrogance. But the NFL is back in the music business eight months after it suffered through the embarrassment of the Janet Jackson-Justin Timberlake halftime episode.

If you’ve forgotten, Ms. Jackson’s breast was exposed at the conclusion of a song she and Timberlake were performing in Houston at halftime of Super Bowl XXXVIII. By the conclusion of the game and in the weeks that followed their antics were being discussed more than what took place on the field of play that day. Later, the commissioner was called to testify before a congressional committee and the matter was written off as a bad judgment call.

That the league would simply sweep those memories aside and go right back to having a musical component kick off its new season is difficult to understand. I don’t watch much major network television any more – which shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone who reads this column – but someone named George Lopez hosted last night’s “NFL Opening Kickoff” – a celebratory exercise including a long list of musical guests, sponsored by Ameriquest Mortgage Company and promoted by the National Football League.

I don’t pretend to be the face of America’s culture, but like most people I like my sports straight with no chaser. I don’t need Destiny’s Child, Lenny Kravitz or even the Boston Pops to get me pumped up for this year’s NFL season and I don’t think most of you do either. Is the atmosphere surrounding our games to become a present day version of Thackeray’s Vanity Fair with “bullies pushing about, bucks ogling women, knaves picking pockets, policemen on the lookout, quacks…bawling in front of their booths and yokels looking up at the tinseled dancers…not a moral place certainly; nor a merry one, though very noisy.”

On its face, the extravagance of pop music and the culture that surrounds it have precious little to do with football and everything to do with commerce. It’s all about grabbing the viewing audience’s attention and particularly that of a younger audience.

You see, the NFL is concerned that it is losing the battle to hold the interest of today’s youth. For evidence, it cites ratings from last year’s Super Bowl where viewership was down 13% for men 18-34.

But an hour’s worth of pop entertainment won’t make professional football more hip or more profitable and, anyway, what does being hip have to do with why we like football? Football is old school, simple with blocking, tackling, running and throwing. It’s managed to flourish all these years without a warm-up act.

The people who think up these ideas in the league office huddle together for warmth in what G. K. Chesterton called “the clean, well-lit prison of one idea.” It was bad idea then and it’s a bad idea now.

I couldn't agree more. When I first saw the the NFL Kickoff commercial I thought what in the hell are they doing? If I wanted to watch that stuff I go watch VH1 or MTV or one of those channels. I guess the cost to bring in those entertainers was offset by the revenue gained by the commercial spots. :shrug: I guess.

PhilFree :arrow:

Dr. Johnny Fever 09-10-2004 02:42 PM

Musical performances at football games are always bad and annoying..... except KISS at the Super-Bowl a few years ago.....

:D

Dr. Johnny Fever 09-10-2004 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ENDelt260
Kiss sucks.

but not as much as you...or UMR.

Dr. Johnny Fever 09-10-2004 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ENDelt260
Oh... just had to edit and add on the UMR, huh?

Yea...I was a bit slow on the up-take on that one.

jcroft 09-10-2004 02:49 PM

The pre-game show was from 7-8pm. The game started at 8pm. Everyone knew what the pre-game show was going to entail. If you're not into pop music, Rufus, don't set your ****ing TiVo for 7pm. It's not that hard.

HC_Chief 09-10-2004 02:51 PM

Dude's only happy when he has something to bitch about.

It was a GREAT GAME. fuck all the rest of that stupid shit.

jcroft 09-10-2004 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HC_Chief
Dude's only happy when he has something to bitch about.

It was a GREAT GAME. fuck all the rest of that stupid shit.

Exactly. If you don't like it, don't watch it. Complianing about this is about the same as complaining that CBS airs "Survivor" before "CSI."

"CSI is a great show! It doesn't need a warm-up act!"

philfree 09-10-2004 02:55 PM

Quote:

The pre-game show was from 7-8pm. The game started at 8pm. Everyone knew what the pre-game show was going to entail. If you're not into pop music, Rufus, don't set your ****ing TiVo for 7pm. It's not that hard.
I think the point Rufus is making is that football the game and the way it's played is what lead to it's popularity and no pop artist is gonna help make it more popular. So in that regard it's a waste. Now if it brings enough revenue from commercials to raise the salary cap then I guess I can tolerate it.

Chiefnj 09-10-2004 02:56 PM

This might be the only Rufus column I agree with. It is a shame that Janet's ugly boob eclipsed a great Super Bowl game. You don't need to try to prop up the NFL with a horse and wagon show.

jcroft 09-10-2004 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree
I think the point Rufus is making is that football the game and the way it's played is what lead to it's popularity and no pop artist is gonna help make it more popular. So in that regard it's a waste. Now if it brings enough revenue from commercials to raise the salary cap then I guess I can tolerate it.

My point is simply that they aren't infusing pop music into the game itself. The game itself is still pretty un-tainted. They do this stuff for pre-game and halftime, but they've left it very easy to ignore if it's not for you. Ho many times did you usee Jessica, lenny, or Beyone after 8pm?

I guess my opinion is that it's not really affecting the game at all. As long as it stays out of the game itself, it's fine by me.

stevieray 09-10-2004 03:06 PM

just more teenager based marketing.

Saulbadguy 09-10-2004 03:10 PM

I never appreciated these hyped up "kickoff" or halftime shows. I don't even watch them, unless there is someone of the female persuasion that is worth viewing.

I'd much rather see player features, player interviews (pre-recorderd or not), highlight reels of the players...anything football related, really. Even though I enjoy the occasional Lenny Kravitz tune, I don't want him at my football game. Especially when you can pretty much tell the music is pre-recorded.

Calcountry 09-10-2004 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj
This might be the only Rufus column I agree with. It is a shame that Janet's ugly boob eclipsed a great Super Bowl game. You don't need to try to prop up the NFL with a horse and wagon show.

agreed. :thumb:

jcroft 09-10-2004 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy
I never appreciated these hyped up "kickoff" or halftime shows. I don't even watch them, unless there is someone of the female persuasion that is worth viewing.

I'd much rather see player features, player interviews (pre-recorderd or not), highlight reels of the players...anything football related, really. Even though I enjoy the occasional Lenny Kravitz tune, I don't want him at my football game. Especially when you can pretty much tell the music is pre-recorded.

I respect all that and basically agree -- but one the other hand, the fact that Lenny is there doesn't bug me, either. I mean, I don't need Lenny, but Lenny is easy enough to ignore. He's not bothering me, or the game I love. Who cares?

philfree 09-10-2004 03:15 PM

Quote:

Ho many times did you usee Jessica, lenny, or Beyone after 8pm?
Did you even read the article? The NFL put on a concert to try and gain the interest of people the age 0f 18-34 for football to try and keep the ratings up. My guess is it didn't work.