ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2012 Kansas City Royals Repository Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=254372)

alnorth 01-04-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8262786)
I hate that we, as fans, have been so trained to worry exceedingly about the economic aspect of baseball.

Glass has the money, via revenue sharing, income (personal and team related), and it's time to ****ing spend it.

No excuses. Our payroll needs to be around $80M and looking to get to $100M quickly. If not, this is all pissing into the wind in the first place.

The idea is that we are banking whatever money we have under 70-80 million now.

I guess if you think the profits from this year will go to enhance Glass's lifestyle, never to be seen again, you'd have a point but he's already reportedly promised baseball and the player's union that although we're making money now, he expects to lose money later to break even.

Unless he's lying, then paying someone a lot of money does have an impact on the future. Maybe its worth it for this year and next, but 60/5? Similar contracts given to similar pitchers have been regretted more often than not.

alnorth 01-04-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazyb81 (Post 8263070)
Who knows if Hosmer, Moose, etc will even be willing to re-sign with KC?

You have no real reason to be concerned about this. Virtually all high-impact prospects develop strong ties to their organization and at least give their team the opportunity to come close to matching. Royals fans have been scarred by the 90's, but that is not the normal experience of a team who has the money to offer a fair deal.

alnorth 01-04-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazyb81 (Post 8263070)
It sucks that KC fans and other small-market teams have become obsessed with worrying over every little penny spent by the owners. This is pro baseball and it costs money. If one $12MM/year contract is too much to risk then Glass seriously needs to sell the team and move on with his life.

Glass isn't looking to profit, again unless you think he's lying.

There is no owner in the entire country who is willing to long-term lose money. EVERY owner is looking to break even at a minimum, including Miami's owner. (If their new park and team doesn't pan out, they will blow it up again)

Our market is what it is (though certainly big enough to be the Twins), and it is logical to save money now to spend later. It would not make sense to spend money that does not need to be spent to compete, just for the hell of it.

eazyb81 01-04-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 8263273)
You have no real reason to be concerned about this. Virtually all high-impact prospects develop strong ties to their organization and at least give their team the opportunity to come close to matching. Royals fans have been scarred by the 90's, but that is not the normal experience of a team who has the money to offer a fair deal.

How many of these were Boras clients?

Are we capable or even willing to match a $100-200+MM offer to Hosmer, Moose, and/or Myers when the time comes?

eazyb81 01-04-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 8263282)
Glass isn't looking to profit, again unless you think he's lying.

There is no owner in the entire country who is willing to long-term lose money. EVERY owner is looking to break even at a minimum, including Miami's owner. (If their new park and team doesn't pan out, they will blow it up again)

Our market is what it is (though certainly big enough to be the Twins), and it is logical to save money now to spend later. It would not make sense to spend money that does not need to be spent to compete, just for the hell of it.

Where did I say Glass should be expected to lose money? Would an extra $12MM of payroll seriously cause the franchise to become unprofitable? I don't think our profit margin is quite that small.

I understand the theory of not spending any money for the next few years so we can try to keep our young players. I just don't believe it is the correct strategy.

alnorth 01-04-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazyb81 (Post 8263347)
I just don't believe it is the correct strategy.

Why the hell not? I'd think it would be a terrific strategy to go 30-40 for a while, blow it up to 100-110 for a while, hang on as long as possible, then when the time comes to rebuild, repeat the cycle, rather than just spend 70 million plus inflation (which basically means no youth movement) forever.

alnorth 01-04-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazyb81 (Post 8263327)
How many of these were Boras clients?

Are we capable or even willing to match a $100-200+MM offer to Hosmer, Moose, and/or Myers when the time comes?

$100MM, yes.

$200MM (in today's dollars) is crazy fantasyland money. Not every star is A-Rod or Pujols, and those massive 10-year deals end up being horrible stupid albatrosses anyway. The Angels are going to feel the crushing weight of a lot of dead money in a few years.

Fansy the Famous Bard 01-04-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 8263365)
Why the hell not? I'd think it would be a terrific strategy to go 30-40 for a while, blow it up to 100-110 for a while, hang on as long as possible, then when the time comes to rebuild, repeat the cycle, rather than just spend 70 million plus inflation (which basically means no youth movement) forever.

Why can you not have a balance? Why does it have to be all or nothing?

jbwm89 01-04-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 8263394)
Why can you not have a balance? Why does it have to be all or nothing?

because 70-80 isn't going to get it done in 5-6 years (thanks duncan idaho I didn't do my homework).

Alnorth has a point. Besides the clubs that spend 120mil + constantly, there has to be some strategy to resigning your stars. Especially when so many are going to come up for contract at approx. the same time.

12 mil a year for edwin won't kill you, but add another 2-3 contracts of this caliber (maybe at the trade deadline for an arm, or a bat in the offseason) and you are talking about 1/3 of your payroll being tied up in long term contracts.

eazyb81 01-04-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 8263365)

Because it assumes that we will spend it in the future which I am not sure we will. I don't believe Glass is sitting there with his accountant saying to pass on Jackson and throw $12MM in a 3-year CD to be ready for the 2014 offseason. It doesn't work like that because a million other scenarios could happen between now and then.

I think we have a chance to win this division next year, and adding Jackson will help that goal without blocking prospects or giving up valuable talent.

eazyb81 01-04-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 8263378)
$100MM, yes.

$200MM (in today's dollars) is crazy fantasyland money. Not every star is A-Rod or Pujols, and those massive 10-year deals end up being horrible stupid albatrosses anyway. The Angels are going to feel the crushing weight of a lot of dead money in a few years.

Again - how many Boras clients have re-signed with their original team? Would you agree that Boras clients are more likely to test free agent waters and seek the maximum deal?

duncan_idaho 01-04-2012 04:03 PM

Adding Jackson also provides some valuable insurance for the Royals' young arms. Prevents them from having to rush Odorizzi or Montgomery. Gives them some flexibility with Duffy.

Hochevar
Sanchez
Jackson
Chen
Paulino/Duffy/Crow

would look pretty great and get the Royals P depth where it needs to be.

Of course, all that said.... if the Royals think they can snag one of the 2013 on the FA market, I would be OK with waiting one more year. Much better talent out there in 2013.

DeezNutz 01-04-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazyb81 (Post 8263462)
Because it assumes that we will spend it in the future which I am not sure we will. I don't believe Glass is sitting there with his accountant saying to pass on Jackson and throw $12MM in a 3-year CD to be ready for the 2014 offseason. It doesn't work like that because a million other scenarios could happen between now and then.

I think we have a chance to win this division next year, and adding Jackson will help that goal without blocking prospects or giving up valuable talent.

Pretty much my thoughts as well. I don't believe this organization, which has been so ineptly run for for long (and DM continues to push the idiocy level at times) is now so detailed and forward-thinking with respect to overall payroll.

From Glass's perspective, I think all he knows now is that things are cheap. In other words, all is well.

We can re-sign Gordon and add Jackson at roughly $10M per and still be vastly underspending.

And any comments about "not being able to re-sign Hos" because of moves in '12 would be complete and utter bullshit.

alnorth 01-04-2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazyb81 (Post 8263462)

then you believe Glass is a liar, which is fine, a lot of Royals fans have the same mindset. Its a fair assumption because he hasn't exactly proven that he'll lose money in a year, yet. If every dollar of profit in each fiscal year is going to be spent on upgrading him to the suite level in a Mediterranean island next winter, then it absolutely makes sense to pressure Glass to spend every dime, every year.

I just happen to think he's serious about using money saved now to accelerate to a Twins-level payroll or higher when the time comes

alnorth 01-04-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8263519)
And any comments about "not being able to re-sign Hos" because of moves in '12 would be complete and utter bullshit.

Hosmer can be Mauer'd regardless of whether we spend money now or not.

Since I don't believe Glass blatantly lied to baseball and the player's union, I'm more concerned about extending prospect #3 or #4.