ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Possible to wire a bathroom exhaust fan to a ceiling light? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=276660)

MTG#10 09-25-2013 02:04 PM

Possible to wire a bathroom exhaust fan to a ceiling light?

Need some advice from all you handy Planeteers. Let me start off by saying Im not very handy at all when it comes to shit like this but I'm going to try it anyway.

What I'm wanting to do is install a bathroom exhaust fan in a big walk-in closet. I'd like to install it right next to the ceiling light, would it be possible to wire it to the light so when I turn my light on the exhaust fan turns on too? If so any tips/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

The Franchise 09-25-2013 02:07 PM

Taking shits in your walk-in closet?

DaneMcCloud 09-25-2013 02:10 PM

First off, the exhaust fan needs to be vented properly so the exhaust is sent outside.

Secondly, your best bet is to purchase an exhaust fan with a light. Wiring a light fixture in series to a light sounds like a recipe for a fire.

Gonzo 09-25-2013 02:11 PM

Hmmm I wonder what goes on in that closet...
Drugs are bad.... Mkay?

Hog's Gone Fishin 09-25-2013 02:11 PM

Absolutely, and no need to turn the breaker off while tying it in.

Beef Supreme 09-25-2013 02:12 PM

Yes, it's not only possible, but pretty easy.

Turn the breaker off.

For the fan to come on when you turn on the light, just grab a piece of romex (that's the standard home wiring, with a black, white and green wire inside a white sheath), open up the light fixture and match the wires color for color. Take the other end of the romex and tie it into your fan, matching the wires color for color.

Turn the breaker back on.

Done.

If you have some monster attic fan or something, you need to check amperage. If it's just a bathroom fart fan, go wild.

And of course you have to cut the fan into the ceiling.

DaneMcCloud 09-25-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 10018827)
Absolutely, and no need to turn the breaker off while tying it in.

LMAO

Hog's Gone Fishin 09-25-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet (Post 10018829)

Turn the breaker off.

For the fan to come on when you turn on the light, just grab a piece of romex (that's the standard home wiring, with a black, white and green wire inside a white sheath), open up the light fixture and match the wires color for color. Take the other end of the romex and tie it into your fan, matching the wires color for color.

Done.

If you have some monster attic fan or something, you need to check amperage. If it's just a bathroom fart fan, go wild.

Romex doesn't have a green wire.

mlyonsd 09-25-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10018812)
Taking shits in your walk-in closet?

Yeah that would be my question as well.

Beef Supreme 09-25-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 10018834)
Romex doesn't have a green wire.

Yeah, You're right. It's just bare copper for the ground, not insulated in residential romex. Should have just said ground wire, not green wire.

FlaChief58 09-25-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 10018841)
Yeah that would be my question as well.

:bong:

Eureka 09-25-2013 02:34 PM

ptlyon 09-25-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eureka (Post 10018880)

220, 221, whatever it takes

MTG#10 09-25-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet (Post 10018829)

Turn the breaker off.

Done.

And of course you have to cut the fan into the ceiling.

Thanks. Everything is ready to go, just have to cut the hole, mount the fan, and wire.

Fish 09-25-2013 02:54 PM

Put some dryer sheets in the exit duct. That way it won't smell like marijuana...