ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Need another reason to hate Notre Lame? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=115358)

Saulbadguy 04-28-2005 08:23 AM

Need another reason to hate Notre Lame?

http://start.earthlink.net/article/s...0428-543230375

BCS Wants New Poll to Replace AP Rankings
April 28, 2005 12:02 AM EDT

PHOENIX - The Bowl Championship Series is opening its automatic bids to all Division I-A conferences starting with the 2008 season, part of a new plan under which the leagues will be judged from top to bottom.

Currently, only the six conferences that comprise the BCS can earn automatic entry into college football's four major bowl games, including the national title game. The previous standard for holding on to that qualification was based on the average BCS standings finish of a conference's top team over a four-year period.

That will still be a factor, but not the only one.

"In addition, we will look at a conference's overall strength," BCS coordinator Kevin Weiberg said Wednesday, the final day of meetings with officials from 11 major college football conferences and Notre Dame's athletic director.

The BCS will also take into account the number of teams in a conference that finish in the BCS top 25 over a four-year period.

In addition, there is a proposed appeals process if a conference doesn't match up with the others under the new formula but still believes it belongs in the BCS.

"We're set through the first two years (2006-07) of the new agreement, with the same six conferences having the automatic-qualification berths," said Weiberg, the Big 12 commissioner. "This evaluation will then occur, and it could change for the final two years of this new agreement."

The BCS signed a four-year deal with Fox to televise the Sugar, Fiesta and Orange bowls from 2007-10 and the national title game from 2007-09. The Rose Bowl has its own television deal with ABC.

Weiberg said the new evaluation system could lead to more - or less - automatic bids.

The Big 12, Big Ten, Pac-10, Southeastern, Atlantic Coast and Big East champions have had automatic entry into the Rose, Orange, Sugar and Fiesta bowls since the BCS was implemented in 1998.

Other standards were set to allow teams from outside the BCS conferences to qualify automatically, but not until last year when Utah earned a spot in the Fiesta Bowl had a team from outside one of the big six conferences played in the BCS.

The BCS also decided to expand to five games last year. Starting with the 2006 season, 10 teams will qualify for the BCS, with the top two meeting in a newly created championship game to be played a week after the four major bowls.

The addition of another game and the new evaluation process for automatic entry were prompted by protests from the five lower-revenue conferences - such as the Mountain West, where Utah plays, and Conference USA - that the BCS was unfairly shutting out dozens of schools.

Of the original six BCS conferences, the Big East would appear to be most affected by the changes. The league lost Miami and Virginia Tech last season to the ACC; Boston College follows this year. However, the addition of Louisville this year, along with South Florida and Cincinnati, should help the Big East's chances of keeping its elite status.

Weiberg said Louisville, which finished 10th in the BCS standings last year while playing in C-USA, will be included in the Big East's evaluation and should help the league retain its bid.

"The reason for that is that we're trying to get an assessment looking forward of the prospective strength of the conference, even though it will be based on past performance," Weiberg said.

Beginning in 2006, Notre Dame will earn an automatic BCS berth with a top eight ranking in the final standings, Weiberg said. Also, under a new arrangement, Notre Dame is now guaranteed BCS money every season - even when they don't play in a game.

In the past, Notre Dame would receive upward of $14 million when they played in a BCS game, but nothing if they didn't.

The proposal and others developed in Phoenix are subject to review by an 11-person committee formed by university presidents. Weiberg said that would be done in a teleconference call on May 12.

He said the athletic directors who met in Phoenix will do more teleconferencing and possibly have one more meeting to fine-tune proposals - especially the makeup of the replacement poll to take the place of The AP poll in the new BCS standings formula - before the Collegiate Commissioners Association meetings in Denver on June 20.

The new poll will not be unveiled until June at the earliest.

chiefqueen 04-28-2005 08:26 AM

If I recall correctly Notre Dame gets an automatic BCS bid w/ 9 wins now.

Imon Yourside 04-28-2005 08:26 AM

Gee every college has the same chance in college football eh?

Saulbadguy 04-28-2005 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefqueen
If I recall correctly Notre Dame gets an automatic BCS bid w/ 9 wins now.

The part that really irks me is they are guaranteed BCS money even if they don't get to a BCS game.

Gav Daddy 04-28-2005 09:10 AM

notre dame is a front man

for a huge corporation with very powerful lobbyists,imo.

"religion"="corporation". and no i am not dawging spirituality.

it's as simple as that folks. you might not like it, but it's the truth.

Saulbadguy 04-28-2005 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gav Daddy
for a huge corporation with very powerful lobbyists,imo.

"religion"="corporation". and no i am not dawging spirituality.

it's as simple as that folks. you might not like it, but it's the truth.

I don't believe thats the case. However, to many people, College Sports are bigger than religion. Notre Lame is in that boat.

Brock 04-28-2005 09:13 AM

That's fairly ridiculous.

Amnorix 04-28-2005 09:15 AM

This whole Charlie Weis to ND thing is turning my college football world upside down. I've despised ND ever since I was a kid (it's part of the "you grew up in Boston, so you're either a BC fan (most likely) or a ND fan).

Because they've sucked the past ten years, and because I don't watch much college football, my hatred for them has waned. Now, Charlie Weis, who I like and respect tremendously, is their coach.

I'm afraid I'm rooting for them now... :banghead:

This isn't anything on par with rooting for the Raiders, Yankees, Jets, Dolphins, Lakers or Sixers, but it's a half-step behind. Yeesh.

Saulbadguy 04-28-2005 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix

This isn't anything on par with rooting for the Raiders, Yankees, Jets, Dolphins, Lakers or Sixers, but it's a half-step behind. Yeesh.

This is a bit different. People hate the Yankees, the Lakers, and the Patriots (now) because they just win.

I hate Notre Lame because they are a corporation, and they think they are "too good" to join a conference and play by the rules.

Gav Daddy 04-28-2005 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy
I don't believe thats the case. However, to many people, College Sports are bigger than religion. Notre Lame is in that boat.

explain their lack of team concept when it comes to playing nice with others(joining a conference)....

why wont they join a conferrence if they dont feel a sense entitlement and go out of their way to push their sense of entitlement? LOL!!!!

SCTrojan 04-28-2005 09:36 AM

Can't stand ND. This latest development is not surprising, however.

I hope we hammer them by 31 points again this year. And for the rest of time.

Gav Daddy 04-28-2005 09:41 AM

b.c.s. blows.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCTrojan
Can't stand ND. This latest development is not surprising, however.

I hope we hammer them by 31 points again this year. And for the rest of time.

it makes us root for our traditional rivals to do well, so when we beat them, we get more b.c.s. points.

a real fan should never have to root for their rival.

after seeing s.c. get jobbed 2 years ago, i bet you found yourself rooting for n.d. to do well, so you would get more b.c.s. points.....

that just aint right.....

they have one of the most storied rivalries in college ball. you should NEVER have to root for n.d. to do well. NEVER!!!!!!

o.k. i am off my soapbox now. LMAO!!!!!!

SCTrojan 04-28-2005 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gav Daddy
it makes us root for our traditional rivals to do well, so when we beat them, we get more b.c.s. points.

a real fan should never have to root for their rival.

after seeing s.c. get jobbed 2 years ago, i bet you found yourself rooting for n.d. to do well, so you would get more b.c.s. points.....

that just aint right.....

they have one of the most storied rivalries in college ball. you should NEVER have to root for n.d. to do well. NEVER!!!!!!

o.k. i am off my soapbox now. LMAO!!!!!!

Yep. I just want to kill ND and UCLA every year. BCS strength of schedule points be damned.

There are a lot of people at the USC site I frequent who say they wish ND would be better so the rivalry will benefit both sides.

I fall into the "I hope we hammer them and they suck from now until the end of time" category.

Braincase 04-28-2005 09:51 AM

As BCS money goes to conferences moreso than schools, I can see why some kind of compromise is necessary. You've got 6 conferences that are guaranteed a payday - so what it comes down to is that in some years, Notre Dame gets less money than Baylor. As Baylor is getting guaranteed money, why not Notre Dame? Because they're not in a conference? I don't have a problem with the Fighting Irish - I wish they'd join a conference.

I think this all part and parcel with Catholic bashing... :p

Saulbadguy 04-28-2005 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase
As BCS money goes to conferences moreso than schools, I can see why some kind of compromise is necessary. You've got 6 conferences that are guaranteed a payday - so what it comes down to is that in some years, Notre Dame gets less money than Baylor. As Baylor is getting guaranteed money, why not Notre Dame? Because they're not in a conference? I don't have a problem with the Fighting Irish - I wish they'd join a conference.

I think this all part and parcel with Catholic bashing... :p

Is Army, Navy, or Temple guaranteed any BCS money?