ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports Ryan Braun tests positive for PED (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=253527)

KC_Connection 12-10-2011 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SportsRacer (Post 8186848)
So now if he hits 60 or 70 home runs...

He won't be doing it next year for my fantasy team (he's a keeper of mine), that's for sure. You get a 50 game suspension these days.

lewdog 12-10-2011 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8186862)
He won't be doing it next year for my fantasy team (he's a keeper of mine), that's for sure. You get a 50 game suspension these days.

He is my keeper too! Well, not anymore with a 50 game suspension.

ChiefsCountry 12-10-2011 07:25 PM

Honestly I could care less.

KC_Connection 12-10-2011 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog_5 (Post 8186884)
He is my keeper too! Well, not anymore with a 50 game suspension.

He's too good a player in the future for me to let him go over 50 games, but your format may be different than mine.

L.A. Chieffan 12-10-2011 07:26 PM

What a joke. Kemp got hosed

lewdog 12-10-2011 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8186890)
He's too good a player in the future for me to let him go over 50 games, but your format may be different than mine.

Well I have Justin Upton on my team too, who I could easily keep. I only get 1 keeper.

What is your format?

KC_Connection 12-10-2011 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog_5 (Post 8186895)
Well I have Justin Upton on my team too, who I could easily keep. I only get 1 keeper.

What is your format?

6 keepers a season, 14 teams.

GloryDayz 12-10-2011 07:30 PM

Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha...

He prolly bought them from the head-case!!! F*** you ZG... Now you're teamed-up with cheaters too. DIAF you piece of S***!!!

KC_Connection 12-10-2011 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 8186902)
Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha...

He prolly bought them from the head-case!!! F*** you ZG... Now you're teamed-up with cheaters too. DIAF you piece of S***!!!

I sense some anger towards Zack Greinke here.

'Hamas' Jenkins 12-10-2011 07:42 PM

I always hated that douchebag ****. As if the Affliction-ripoff company wasn't enough, now he's added more ammo.

**** that guy.

alnorth 12-10-2011 07:43 PM

There are only two ways Braun can get out of this. He either needs to scientifically prove that the test was a false positive (which might be hard since a follow-up test showed synthetic testosterone), he was re-tested a few weeks later which came back negative. That second test is not necessarily relevant, but he's arguing that the difference between the extremely high first result and the extremely low second result was so big, that it proves a false positive. I don't know the science behind this, I assume the folks at the lab will explain what happened and why Braun's argument is or is not valid.

If that doesn't work, Braun would have to prove that food or supplements he was taken was tampered with by someone else without his knowledge. Baseball has a strict liability policy, meaning that not knowing something you were taking had a bad substance is no excuse, you have to show you were not carelessly consuming stuff without knowing what is in it. The only way to successfully appeal, aside from attacking the test result, is to basically prove that someone spiked your food. Good luck with that argument.

O.city 12-10-2011 07:45 PM

Yeah he's not getting out of this.

KC_Connection 12-10-2011 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 8186917)
There are only two ways Braun can get out of this. He either needs to scientifically prove that the test was a false positive (which might be hard since a follow-up test showed synthetic testosterone), he was re-tested a few weeks later which came back negative. That second test is not necessarily relevant, but he's arguing that the difference between the extremely high first result and the extremely low second result was so big, that it proves a false positive. I don't know the science behind this, I assume the folks at the lab will explain what happened and why Braun's argument is or is not valid.

If that doesn't work, Braun would have to prove that food or supplements he was taken was tampered with by someone else without his knowledge. Baseball has a strict liability policy, meaning that not knowing something you were taking had a bad substance is no excuse, you have to show you were not carelessly consuming stuff without knowing what is in it. The only way to successfully appeal, aside from attacking the test result, is to basically prove that someone spiked your food. Good luck with that argument.

He's basically going to have to resort to the same arguments that every other athlete who's ever gotten caught with high testosterone uses. It usually doesn't work out.

alnorth 12-10-2011 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8186927)
He's basically going to have to resort to the same arguments that every other athlete who's ever gotten caught with high testosterone uses. It usually doesn't work out.

no, not really. Its different now, baseball has a stricter policy. The standard barry bonds argument was that his trainer was injecting stuff into him that he assumed was legal, and he foolishly trusted his trainer to not give him something illegal. Maybe you could show you did not intentionally take something.

Now, baseball is saying "ok, you know what, we don't care if you didn't intend to take something, it is your job to know exactly what you are consuming. Unless something crazy or nefarious happens like someone secretly spiking your food, we don't want to hear any excuses"

KC_Connection 12-10-2011 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 8186937)
no, not really. Its different now, baseball has a stricter policy. The standard barry bonds argument was that his trainer was injecting stuff into him that he assumed was legal, and he foolishly trusted his trainer to not give him something illegal. Maybe you could show you did not intentionally take something.

Now, baseball is saying "ok, you know what, we don't care if you didn't intend to take something, it is your job to know exactly what you are consuming. Unless something crazy or nefarious happens like someone secretly spiking your food, we don't want to hear any excuses"

I said athletes, not baseball players. Those arguments you cited are the ones that guys who get caught in any sport ALWAYS use.

And Barry Bonds was never caught on a drug test. The argument he made was in court.