ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Windows Vista (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=144996)

Deberg_1990 08-05-2006 10:22 AM

Windows Vista

So does anybody know hows this is supposed to make my life better?? How will it be better than XP? What are the differences? Wil it be worth the upgrade??

SLAG 08-05-2006 10:29 AM

Short..
No.. Not better than XP... less stable... More Eye Candy....

No not worth the upgrade...

Im guessing its the new Windows ME

JBucc 08-05-2006 10:31 AM

Isn't it like another year or something before the final version comes out anyway?

Deberg_1990 08-05-2006 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLAG02

hahah..lets hope not......but yea, most of the stuff ive seen looks cosmetic. XP works just fine for me. Its the best operating system Microsoft has ever built.

SLAG 08-05-2006 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990
hahah..lets hope not......but yea, most of the stuff ive seen looks cosmetic. XP works just fine for me. Its the best operating system Microsoft has ever built.

:hmmm:

I thought 2000 was the best from M$ IMHO

but you know i will be quick to pimp linux any chance i get

:D

Fish 08-05-2006 10:37 AM

Quote:

Short..
No.. Not better than XP... less stable... More Eye Candy....

No not worth the upgrade...

I don't agree Mr. Slag.... I've been testing Vista for a few months, and it has some great features.

There's no way it would turn into the next ME..... they've put too much into it.

Here's a great article comparing them side by side. It's not too technical, but it gives you an idea.

ClickClickClickity

Vista does have some rather high minimum specs for running it though... One being a video card with 128MB of video memory. Quite a few people's machines aren't going to meet the min requirements...

Fish 08-05-2006 10:40 AM

Quote:

:hmmm:

I thought 2000 was the best from M$ IMHO

If it were 1999, your statement would be correct..........

Today.... uhh uhh..... I could show you a ton of exploits in 2K that M$ has pretty much just given up on.

SLAG 08-05-2006 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish
I don't agree Mr. Slag.... I've been testing Vista for a few months, and it has some great features.

There's no way it would turn into the next ME..... they've put too much into it.

Here's a great article comparing them side by side. It's not too technical, but it gives you an idea.

ClickClickClickity

Vista does have some rather high minimum specs for running it though... One being a video card with 128MB of video memory. Quite a few people's machines aren't going to meet the min requirements...

]
THanks for the link

Ok maybe the next ME would not be quite correct..

it seems that most of Vistas new features have been avaible in other O.S' for years..

vistas Angle task switch is nice but the XGL cube on linux is better..

http://files.opensuse.org/opensuse/e...Movie-cube.jpg

here is a link for some videos on XGL

http://theendlessnow.com/ten/Articles/Articles

i know i know different strokes for differnt folks.. but still..

Vista is too little too late from M$ and the fact that they wont include the meat and potatos of the VISTA project ( the new "Faster" file system) is a disappointment... they plan to release it in the "VISTA PLUS" package.. just more ploy by Microsoft...

anyway..

i was not impressed with vista its just too bad that "Joe Home User" wont expand his computing to think outside the MS kool-Aid box

Fish 08-05-2006 11:02 AM

Quote:

i was not impressed with vista its just too bad that "Joe Home User" wont expand his computing to think outside the MS kool-Aid box

Ohh I agree... most people are going to blindly follow along and buy Vista just because it's the next M$ project.... and many of them will no doubt buy Vista before realizing they don't meet the min specs, which will result in a computer upgrade....

But you gotta remember, most people still find Linux incredibly intimidating when they really shouldn't. And often times when you tell "Joe Home User" that he can't run Roller Coaster Tycoon on Linux, he'll run right back under that big M$ tent.

And I agree that M$ is taking a lot of ideas from other OSs, but most of the sheeple have never used another OS, so they don't realize it's not a new feature. You'd be surprised how closely some of the features resemble OS X ideas as well.

morphius 08-05-2006 11:53 AM

I doubt many people will upgrade, it will just be a case of people replacing their old computer with a new one with Vista on it. Having stronger DRM is not really a feature I'm looking for.

Moooo 08-05-2006 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish
Ohh I agree... most people are going to blindly follow along and buy Vista just because it's the next M$ project.... and many of them will no doubt buy Vista before realizing they don't meet the min specs, which will result in a computer upgrade....

But you gotta remember, most people still find Linux incredibly intimidating when they really shouldn't. And often times when you tell "Joe Home User" that he can't run Roller Coaster Tycoon on Linux, he'll run right back under that big M$ tent.

And I agree that M$ is taking a lot of ideas from other OSs, but most of the sheeple have never used another OS, so they don't realize it's not a new feature. You'd be surprised how closely some of the features resemble OS X ideas as well.

Linux does have an intimidation factor. If people used it once, I think it would go away. But for school, I have to send files to teachers in that MS Office format. I don't think I can do that with any Linux programs.

Moooo

SLAG 08-05-2006 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moooo
Linux does have an intimidation factor. If people used it once, I think it would go away. But for school, I have to send files to teachers in that MS Office format. I don't think I can do that with any Linux programs.

Moooo

umm...

yes.. you can

any of the office suites for linux let you save as MS office Documents

Moooo 08-05-2006 07:53 PM

Quote:

umm...

yes.. you can

any of the office suites for linux let you save as MS office Documents

I was not aware of that. Like I said I haven't dabbled in the Linux world very much, so I apologise.

Moooo

SLAG 08-05-2006 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moooo
I was not aware of that. Like I said I haven't dabbled in the Linux world very much, so I apologise.

Moooo

No Prob ..

Id reccomend anyone a LIVE DVD/CD to try out..

a bootable CD that wont change your computer... but lets you look and feel what linux is like..

there are so many..

checkout

www.distowatch.org

or www.opensuse.com

Moooo 08-05-2006 10:03 PM

Quote:

No Prob ..

Id reccomend anyone a LIVE DVD/CD to try out..

a bootable CD that wont change your computer... but lets you look and feel what linux is like..

there are so many..

checkout

www.distowatch.com

or www.opensuse.com

I've recently changed my major to a Networking degree, so I'm looking forward to being taught the way.

Moooo