ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports U.S. soccer ratings top NBA Finals (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=284773)

Eleazar 07-06-2014 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 10733442)
There has seriously been like two draws in the NFL in like six years. Its so rare that in the last one many players mentioned they didn't even know the rules and that the game can even end in a tie.

Lengthen the PK, no ties no matter what. You have to admit it would be better. Soccer should really consider some changes, just like the NBA added the 3 pt line, the shot clock, etc

The popularity of soccer doesn't seem to be suffering.

It's just not an instant gratification sport like we Mericans are used to

BWillie 07-06-2014 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 10733473)
I'm always amused when people spout off about how little athleticism it takes to play any given sport.
Ummm, those guys are making MILLIONS. If it's that easy, why aren't you doing it? You hate money?

Just because its difficult doesn't mean you have to be a great athlete to do it.

Sully 07-06-2014 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 10733642)
Just because its difficult doesn't mean you have to be a great athlete to do it.

So anyone could do it with some work and practice, then?

BWillie 07-06-2014 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 10733675)
So anyone could do it with some work and practice, then?

Absolutely not. Could anyone be a competitive eating champion with some practice? Of course not. Same with golf, mlb pitchers. You can be a an unathletic statue and still be skilled at those as well.

Baby Lee 07-06-2014 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 10733642)

Athleticism is probably the single biggest hurdle to international soccer greatness. There are tons and tons of players who can pull off a set piece shot like Messi and Sneijder, and a different set of tons and tons who can make fancy moves like Ronaldo and Ronaldinho, and Lord knows there are tons and tons of workout warriors who can run at pace for 90+ minutes like Robben.

But soccer calls upon you to run like a cross country competitor most of the match, take on physical confrontations and be the stronger competitor from head to toe, leap for headers, sprint for through balls, match up on defense, . . and here's the kicker, be sharp enough to do those things you've practiced and practiced, when you're completely knackered in the final minutes.

It's like asking LeBron James to run a marathon at a competitive time with a bunch of Kenyans, then asking him to shoot a pair of free throws, a contested 3pter and then slam dunk over Shaq.

But there's no athleticism in soccer.

Truth be told, the athleticism aspect of international soccer was a bigger impediment than the spectre of having to live overseas to make money. I loved to play striker, and ran ran ran like there was no tomorrow. But I hated long distance running, every moment of it. Hated every aspect of soccer that required athleticism over skill. I enjoyed outrunning opponents in bursts, and the creativity of creating chances to score. If there had been an alternate universe where indoor soccer with it's more intricate foot skills and smaller field was the 'Premiere League' I'd have liked to live in that universe. But the 'beautiful game' requires a marathoner's mentality with the skill of one who puts on the 'green jacket.'

jd1020 07-06-2014 10:02 PM

You mean to tell me that every player of a sport has just been practicing for a very long time at their sport and have become good at it?

BREAKING NEWS!!!!

morphius 07-06-2014 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 10733624)
The popularity of soccer doesn't seem to be suffering.

It's just not an instant gratification sport like we Mericans are used to

just to see what it would do I would love to see a rule change and there being no offsides when the ball is in the penalty box.