ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft Stafford, Moreno to announce NFL decisions today (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=199873)

the Talking Can 01-07-2009 08:32 AM

Stafford, Moreno to announce NFL decisions today

Quote:

Stafford, Moreno to announce NFL decisions today

By CHIP TOWERS

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford and tailback Knowshon Moreno will reveal at a 3 p.m. press conference today their decisions whether or not to submit their names for the NFL draft by the January 15 deadline for underclassmen.

“Coach [Mark] Richt, Matthew and Knowshon I believe as well are going to have a press confererence today at 3 o’clock Eastern time,” John Stafford said as he drove from Dallas to Athens early Wednesday morning. “I’m not going to reveal what Matthew’s decision is because it’s his decision and I want him to announce it. He went through the arduous process of trying to figure it out. He’s come to grips with it. So it’s up to him to speak about it.”

Mr. Stafford said his son consulted Kansas City Chiefs scout Mike Hagen, a friend of the family, as well as neighbor Troy Aikman and current NFL quarterbacks Peyton Manning and Jay Cutler about his decision. He also talked to Richt and offensive coordinator Mike Bobo at Georgia.

Richt said earlier this week that he’d talked to both players but wasn’t trying to heavily influence their decisions.

“There’s been some of contact but, again, I don’t want to put any undo pressure on these young men,” Richt said. “I want what’s best for them. They have to figure it out for themselves what that is. All I can say is, if they stay I want their whole heart. I want them to do it because they want to do it. I want them to love the place and believe in what we’re doing, love the people and want to do great things. I want them to want to be part of a great team and a great program. I don’t want a guy who is only half-hearted.

“But I will say this: If Matthew or Knowshon come back it will be because their heart said to. I’m not worried about those guys. If they stay it’s because they love it here and they want to help us win a championship.”

Stafford set a school record with 25 passing touchdowns this past season. He threw for 3,459 yards this past season and has 7,731 yards with 51 TDs and 33 interceptions in three seasons as Georgia’s starting quarterback. He was named MVP of the Capital One Bowl last week with 250 yards and three TDs.

Moreno, a redshirt sophomore, had an even 1,400 yards rushing and 18 TDs this past season. He has 2,734 yards in two seasons as the Bulldogs’ featured tailback.

dirk digler 01-07-2009 08:34 AM

Hopefully Stafford will declare

BigChiefFan 01-07-2009 08:36 AM

Yea, Stafford has no weapons, Moreno sucks, right?

Tribal Warfare 01-07-2009 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 5364803)
Hopefully Stafford will declare

Shit, he knows he'll at least be 3rd overall

dirk digler 01-07-2009 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 5364808)
Shit, he knows he'll at least be 3rd overall

Though he might be afraid to be picked by the Lions at #1.

There will be an epic meltdown on this board if he decides to stay.

Tribal Warfare 01-07-2009 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 5364816)
Though he might be afraid to be picked by the Lions at #1.

There will be an epic meltdown on this board if he decides to stay.

IMO,he'll pull an Elway/Eli if Sanchez or Bradford declares to get out of that crux.

Manila-Chief 01-07-2009 09:31 AM

His Dad is driving to Atlanta for the news conference ... doesn't want to give it away ... but, doesn't that say he is coming out? I mean if he is announcing he will stay, why would his Dad drive half way across the country to attend?

Or, am I just wishful thinking??? We gotta have 2 of these guys come out!!!!!

And, I'm assuming it is 3:00 EST ... so, 2:00 our time????

talastan 01-07-2009 09:34 AM

I hope he comes out. I just hope that Sanchez does as well. I have doubts that Bradford will declare unless they win tomorrow night.

Chiefnj2 01-07-2009 09:36 AM

If you were a prospect and you were likely to get drafted either 1 or 3, but neither of those teams had their coaching staffs in place yet, why wouldn't you wait until the last possible moment to declare hoping you'd know more about those teams?

DaKCMan AP 01-07-2009 09:38 AM

Both are expected to enter the draft.

Quote:

Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford and running back Knowshon Moreno, who led the SEC in passing and rushing this season, respectively, are expected to announce Wednesday that they will enter April's NFL draft.

Multiple sources with knowledge of the players' decisions said Moreno was definitely leaning toward entering the NFL draft, but said Stafford had wrestled with his decision for several days.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft0...ory?id=3815504

the Talking Can 01-07-2009 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 5364921)

yup, beat me to it

Tribal Warfare 01-07-2009 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 5364921)

If Sanchez declares Stafford is as good as ours

talastan 01-07-2009 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 5364965)
If Sanchez declares Stafford is as good as ours

Why do you think the Lions would pick Sanchez over Stafford? Just curious. I like either of them over Bradford because they both run a pro style offense. I'm just wanting to know the difference. Stafford is who the Lions would pick IMO, because he has the size, arm strength, and accuracy. Sanchez is about the same but I just wonder if the recent history with USC QB's and his injuries would bring up questions?

milkman 01-07-2009 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talastan (Post 5365028)
Why do you think the Lions would pick Sanchez over Stafford? Just curious. I like either of them over Bradford because they both run a pro style offense. I'm just wanting to know the difference. Stafford is who the Lions would pick IMO, because he has the size, arm strength, and accuracy. Sanchez is about the same but I just wonder if the recent history with USC QB's and his injuries would bring up questions?

Sanchez is more mature and more pro ready.

talastan 01-07-2009 10:24 AM

Another question? What is the value difference of the first overall pick vs. the third overall pick and what would it take to trade up and get Stafford if we really want him..Again not really knowledgeable with draft analysis so thanks for the help in advance! :)