ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Fracking to lead to a new golden age? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266988)

Pasta Little Brioni 11-23-2012 02:59 PM

Just put two Great People together. Boom, instant Golden Age.

cdcox 11-23-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 9144222)
Yes, it is an interesting prediction. However, the energy companies are under no obligation to sell and refine the crude for purely American consumption.

At the same time, fracking won't be used exclusively on energy resources located in the US.

We have LNG import facilities that were built just a few years ago. Now, with the relatively low NG production costs compared to those in Europe, some are discussing conversion of those import facilities to export facilities. However, the oil and gas industry is backing off that type of planning due to the realizaton that Europe and China have plenty of frackable resources.

Ultimately as fracking technology spreads, a global market become established with more uniform prices for NG, resulting in less incentive to export.

Valiant 11-23-2012 03:04 PM

My only problem with fracking is the pollution of the underground water tables..

penguinz 11-23-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 9144309)
My only problem with fracking is the pollution of the underground water tables..

someone will post soon about that being a myth.

cdcox 11-23-2012 03:17 PM

Informed look at the groundwater contamination issue:

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/...t-the-problem/

The problems are:

1) the oil and gas business is extremely fragmented. There are literally hundreds of mom and pop drilling companies and not all of these are operated responsibly.
2) Therefore, proper installation and inspection of the the well doesn't always occur. This is where the big risk for groundwater contamination exists.
3) regulations vary a great deal from state to state. In some states the regulations are significant with good well inspection programs while in others the situation is much more lax. Resource development is profitable in both environments if the geology is favorable.

So if you are worried about groundwater contamination, better well head inspection programs is the key.

patteeu 11-23-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

That's the same reason I oppose unicorn ranching.

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 9144311)
someone will post soon about that being a myth.

;)

B_Ambuehl 11-23-2012 03:19 PM

It is a myth. The fracking takes place well below the water tables and is sealed in with casing. When people are affected it's from inappropriate disposal of wastewater and similar stuff, which creates problems that get blamed on the actual frac site.

cdcox 11-23-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B_Ambuehl (Post 9144337)
It is a myth. The fracking takes place well below the water tables and is sealed in with casing. When people are affected it's from inappropriate disposal of wastewater and similar stuff, which creates problems that get blamed on the actual frac site.

Bad well casings and well heads are an issue too, as noted in the link I posted.

patteeu 11-23-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 9144340)
Bad well casings and well heads are an issue too, as noted in the link I posted.

In your opinion, is there any significantly greater reason to fear the environmental impact of fracking than to fear that of poorly regulated oil extraction or nuclear energy production? Or for that matter, the disposal of chemical waste?

Donger 11-23-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 9144290)
you are correct. We don't need clean water fr crops or livestock.

Again, you are being overly-dramatic.

Donger 11-23-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9144294)
Big Oil's dirty little secret.

The gullibility and stupidity of Americans never ceases to amaze me.

It really isn't a secret. Even though some of this oil will be exported, it's still a beneficial thing for every American.

BigRedChief 11-23-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B_Ambuehl (Post 9144337)

So the video clips on you tube of people lighting their tap water on fire in the area of the country where fracking is occurring are all fake?

penguinz 11-23-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 9144354)
Again, you are being overly-dramatic.

Nope

FAX 11-23-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

That's the issue, for sure.

There are a ton of people who are very concerned over that particular problem.

In fact, it's possible that improper fracking can reduce our dependency on oil but increase our dependency on clean water (which, of course, is already a bit of an issue).

I'm not sure which is better; a full tank of gas, dying of thirst, or breaking out in giant, oozing, boils on the face.

FAX

Donger 11-23-2012 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 9144376)
Nope

Okay, please show me one instance where fracking has lead to what you are apparently claiming.