ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Fracking to lead to a new golden age? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266988)

Baby Lee 11-25-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9144271)
I hear fracking and I think of that video clip of that guy lighting the fracking water on fire coming out of the tap in his sink in his house.

Surprised you'd admit to succumbing to such facile propaganda.

Baby Lee 11-25-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 9145056)
Even if we had unlimited solar and wind, there are real infrastructure and technology limitations that prevent us from using 100% renewables at this time.

Electricity has to be generated the instant there is demand for it. If there is demand when the sun isn't shining or the wind isn't blowing, it cannot be met.

We need to develop electrical storage technologies and smart grid to increase renewable usage above a certain fraction. Plus we need better grid infrastructure. All this is under development, but it is some time off. Natural gas is far, far better than coal in the meantime.

Agree with first bolded, but to fair, as to the second, there are reservoirs, flywheels, compressed air, batteries, and liquefied hydrogen

Ace Gunner 11-25-2012 10:11 AM

srsly, you'd think we are in an energy shortage century. we are not. the crooks just keep a bottleneck in the process to rape folk$. If y'all think that's going to change in some peaceful way with the crooks in charge, god help ya.

Baby Lee 11-25-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 9145817)
I don't disagree, Mr. cdcox. Not one bit. I don't hug trees every day or anything, but I'm just ... I don't know ... skeptical, I guess.

A lot of people view frackage as totally manageable and safe technology ... and it may be very soon (I don't think it's there yet). However, if there's one thing that big, enormous, oil companies know how to do, it's squirm their way through fine print in order to gain an advantage.

The problem in this case is that a bad fracking problem could have very, very serious and long-lasting ramifications that could dramatically affect the quality of life for a whole lot of people (not to mention livestock and crops). And, of course, after the fan is thoroughly doused in feces, the oil company executives won't give a damn because they won't have to live with the consequences of their actions ... just the residents of whatever locality they've ecologically destroyed.

That's probably an over-statement, but you get the idea.

FAX

The broad outlines of this argument could be applied to most every human endeavor outside of participating in drum circles.

Baby Lee 11-25-2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9146823)
That would indeed be the solution. We could be a bunch of closed loops, plus it would be great research for the space program.

I do find it interesting to hear about "water shortages". Again, I suspect that I'm naive, but the earth is more or less a closed system. The water that we're drinking right now is the same water that a woolly mammoth drank 30,000 years ago, and the same water than one of those six-foot scorpions drank 500 million years ago. Based on my fifth-grade science class with Mrs. Carder at Hickory Hills Elementary School, water follows a big cycle from clouds to rain to rivers to ocean to clouds. So it seems like we would never have a water shortage the way it's portrayed. It's just being stored in another part of the cycle.

Reminds me of that guy in college who would bitch about guys in the dorm wing showers for not turning off the water when soaping and shampooing because they were wasting water.

He'd keep bitching no matter how many times he was asked 'where did this wasted water disappear to?'

notorious 11-25-2012 10:36 AM

**** Fracking.

Build a Dyson Sphere.

Rausch 11-25-2012 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9148262)
**** Fracking.

Build a Dyson Sphere.

LMAO

Rausch 11-25-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9144195)
Dunno if this should be in DC or not, but it seems more societal than political. I thought it was interesting and had no idea that fracking would have that big an impact.

Worth a watch...

http://www.gaslandthemovie.com/

cdcox 11-25-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 9148200)
Agree with first bolded, but to fair, as to the second, there are reservoirs, flywheels, compressed air, batteries, and liquefied hydrogen

I'm only familiar with reservoirs being applied on a commercial scale for electrical power storage presently. I think there are relatively few new geographical locations that can support that technology. All of the others you mentioned need to be developed and demonstrated at commercial scale as I mentioned in my post. Of the options listed, it seems liquefied hydrogen might have the best potential at large scale. I think we will eventually get there, but if we had the solar and wind capability today, we would not have the storage and infrastructure in place to do away with fossil fuels for some time.

cdcox 11-25-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 9148140)
Oh stop it.

LMAO

Fussion -- always 50 years around the corner.