ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   I actually think we have a chance to win this week, here's why.. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=147716)

TinyEvel 09-13-2006 10:47 PM

I actually think we have a chance to win this week, here's why..

Call me a Homer, but I think we actually have a chance to win this week. Yes, history says the odds are stacked against us and the pundits are calling us a double-digit underdog, but if you look at the game Plummer had last week and the game our D had, if the planets line up in the right order, we could come out on top.

The single most readable tealeaf is Plummer’s post-game quote: (something like) “I bet the whole city is calling for Jay Cutler. I know they have been ever since we drafted him.”
If I were Shanahan, I would’ve taken Jake out to the shed and applied a dozen swift hits with a tree branch. WTF? This tells me (and everyone else) that someplace way back in Jake’s head between the stubble and the mullet there’s a little nugget of self-doubt. He feels underappreciated. And this fissure can open the way for heartless play if we take advantage of it.

If I were Gun, I would put a price on Plummer’s head in the first quarter. I’d offer up spot bonuses to the DT’s and LB’s for a sack/pressure, and huge $$ to the backfield for an INT. If we can throttle Plummer early enough in the game and take away his composure, I think we’ll shut down Plummer, their fans, and have some room to get some points.

The best thing that could happen to us is to have him sacked on a bootleg in the opening drive. Don't laugh. It could happen.

This game is going to be won in the first quarter. If we can get to Jake, i.e. Allen gets a sack or Law gets an interception (I would have said Surtain, but he’s been better at swatting the ball, not grabbing it) and get Jake to start thinking about Shanahan tapping him out rather than scoring, we’ll win.

Plus, (are you sitting down?) I believe Huard can get us to the goal line. Obviously, our O-line needs to do a better job of protecting him. When pressured, he flailed like a meth freak being taken down by the officers on COPS. But when given a second, most of his passes were crisp and on target. MOST of them. And, yes, you can thank Tony G. for a huge chunk of that, but there's hope there. And this was when Huard was suddenly thrown into a (losing) game. Now he’s had a whole week to take snaps, prepare mentally, get in the drills. Let's not forget there's a handfull of other talented guys on this offense who've been doing this together for years.
Best-case scenario, I know, but it’s a scenario nonetheless. On Sunday, I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed. And if we’re down 10-0 at the end of 15 minutes. You’ll find me outside cleaning the rain gutters.

Raiderhater 09-13-2006 10:50 PM

I concur. I wouldn't bet a single cent on it, but there is a shot none the less.

milkman 09-13-2006 10:53 PM

Homer.

OnTheWarpath15 09-13-2006 10:53 PM

That's not being a homer......pretty true assessment IMO.

Whether ANY of that happens is the question......

Two things I think must happen:

Significantly improved OL play.

Never be down by more than 7 points.

Any Given Sunday........

OnTheWarpath15 09-13-2006 10:55 PM

Nice timing.....

Milkman....."Homer....."

Me......"That's not being a homer"

Bugeater 09-13-2006 10:58 PM

Cleaning the rain gutters? I thought it never rained in southern California.

Raiderhater 09-13-2006 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater

The Mammas and The Pappas?

Fish 09-13-2006 11:07 PM

I just like to see a little hope lingering around the board again.... I think we've got a reasonable chance... especially if Herm can get the team fired up a little. EK and Dante always play well against Denver, so maybe they'll step up.

Come on Hali, stomp a mudhole in the first bootleg you see.....

stevieray 09-13-2006 11:07 PM

Quote:

it storms....but boy don't they warn you

TinyEvel 09-13-2006 11:08 PM

Quote:

Aw, man, I just got busted trying to fit in. :)

SLAG 09-13-2006 11:09 PM

Good post - I mean I belive you but I am a Homer (well known fact)-

but.. Shouldnt it belong in the "Boldest Predictions thread?"

stevieray 09-13-2006 11:11 PM

Sounds like birds will be singng at Pile high again..

FloridaMan88 09-13-2006 11:50 PM

Play classic Martyball, conservative-mistake free offense, riding LJ for at least 30 carries and get him involved in the screens/short passing game, wait for Fake to throw his usual 2-3 interceptions and win the battle of field position and the Chiefs have a chance

beer bacon 09-13-2006 11:55 PM

The trick to all of it is actually containing Denver's offense. We can talk about getting sacks and stopping the bootleg, but it will be a huge task for our defense to do so. I am going to be optimistic that our defense is up to the task right up to the moment when/if Denver stomps us into the ground. Then I will cry like a girl.

TinyEvel 09-13-2006 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsfan88
Play classic Martyball, conservative-mistake free offense, riding LJ for at least 30 carries and get him involved in the screens/short passing game, wait for Fake to throw his usual 2-3 interceptions and win the battle of field position and the Chiefs have a chance

Yeha, you might be right. Agree on the short passing with LJ. With the way our O-line played last week combined with their run D, That's probably going to give him the best chance. Plus he's been catching well so far.