ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Video Games Game Consoles Are Already Dead — And Developers Know It (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270721)

notorious 03-04-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Gigglepants (Post 9464933)
I hooked up a usb keyboard and USB wireless mouse to my PS3 and played the Dust 514 beta a few weeks ago. I've been a console guy all my life, so I couldn't get the hang of it, but if I would have put more time into it I can see how it would be better.

I'm not sure if the mouse/keyboard capability is uncommon on PS3 games or if you can use it with more games, but Dust 514 was the first game that I've heard of that has that feature.
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh hell, if you master mouse aiming you would dominate against a controller player.

Deberg_1990 03-04-2013 08:11 PM

Game consoles are dead

Signed Atari, 1983

Dr. Gigglepants 03-04-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9465134)
Oh hell, if you master mouse aiming you would dominate against a controller player.

Yep, the aiming part was definitely superior, but moving around was damn near impossible for me. I do have the PS Move "nunchuck" thing. I thought maybe the nunchuk in the left hand, controlling movement with the joystick, and the mouse in the right hand controlling aiming would have been ideal. I never tried it though, kind of lost interest in the beta version of that game, it will be kick ass though when it gets released.

notorious 03-04-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Gigglepants (Post 9465289)
Yep, the aiming part was definitely superior, but moving around was damn near impossible for me. I do have the PS Move "nunchuck" thing. I thought maybe the nunchuk in the left hand, controlling movement with the joystick, and the mouse in the right hand controlling aiming would have been ideal. I never tried it though, kind of lost interest in the beta version of that game, it will be kick ass though when it gets released.

Move with the keyboard and left hand, mouse in right hand.

I didn't like it way back when I played Half-Life in 98', but once I got used to it, WOW.

You can strafe with the keyboard (A,D), and turn/aim with the mouse. Customize the buttons around your base keys (A,S,D,W) for crouching, jumping, special attack, etc.

I use the mousewheel forward for Attack 2, and mousewheel back for reloading. Right click can be action/activate button.

The speed of mouse/keyboard battles are sooooo much faster than controller battles. I laugh at the thought playing Unreal Tournament with a controller. ;)

aturnis 03-04-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 9464918)
:eek:

Nearly all competitive gaming takes place on PC.

Who cares. 95% of gamers are not "competitive" gamers.

Valiant 03-04-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger (Post 9464847)
I think this is the only idiot I've heard say PC's are going to beat consoles.

Umm, consoles have become PC's that happen to have a game controller with it in the box.. What everyone is raving about on consoles has been done for 10years on those so called PC's no one plays..

Resistance is futile..

-King- 03-04-2013 10:36 PM

I can somewhat understand people who would rather play on a pc than a game console, but who the hell would rather play games on a tablet or their phones?

mcaj22 03-04-2013 10:36 PM

PCs have more flexibility and can cash in on the huge multiplayer capabilities

you can go from a small company that makes a free online game and bank millions/billions

see: Riot Games or Blizzard or Valve

KcMizzou 03-04-2013 10:38 PM

This isn't about PC versus consoles. It's the phones and tablets that are changing things the most right now. There's been a boom in casual gaming... Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, etc. It's the same market Nintendo went after (or, at least ended up finding) with the Wii.

It's not gonna kill the consoles though, or PC gaming. The games you can play on a phone or a tablet are simple. Time fillers, for when you on a bus, subway... waiting at the airport... whatever.

There will always be people who want a more complex deep game with a big screen / monitor and a controller / keyboard and mouse.

Pants 03-04-2013 10:53 PM

That percentage is extremely skewed. There aren't that many studios out there who can develop AAA titles. Those take incredible amounts of time, money and manpower. They're prohibitive as ****. Of course all those tiny indie developers will be creating games for tablets and cell phones (some will also develop the XBL arcade and PS Store games too), but if you think the Maddens, the FIFAs, the CODs, the HALOs, the GTAs, the GOD OF WARs are going to die, you're a ****ing cretin.

Are we going to see less titles? Maybe. Is the console going to die? Don't make me laugh.

Bump 03-04-2013 10:56 PM

I haven't turned my xbox on in months. Every AAA title is a rehash. The multiplayer is laggy as **** and you have to pay $50 a year to play online? **** it, going PC gaming. Just need a gaming pc.

KcMizzou 03-04-2013 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 9465756)
That percentage is extremely skewed. There aren't that many studios out there who can develop AAA titles. Those take incredible amounts of time, money and manpower. They're prohibitive as ****. Of course all those tiny indie developers will be creating games for tablets and cell phones (some will also develop the XBL arcade and PS Store games too), but if you think the Maddens, the FIFAs, the CODs, the HALOs, the GTAs, the GOD OF WARs are going to die, you're a ****ing cretin.

Are we going to see less titles? Maybe. Is the console going to die? Don't make me laugh.

We do need to see more original stuff though. The consoles right now are dominated by sequels.

Pants 03-04-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 9465777)
We do need to see more original stuff though. The consoles right now are dominated by sequels.

I agree. That's also why we are seeing new IPs like "The Last of Us" and "Watchdogs" pop-up. New AAA+ titles are coming. But come on, every time a new COD comes out, there are lines at every store waiting for that 12:00am to strike. If someone thinks that's death, then I want to know what life is.

mcaj22 03-04-2013 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 9465717)
This isn't about PC versus consoles. It's the phones and tablets that are changing things the most right now. There's been a boom in casual gaming... Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, etc. It's the same market Nintendo went after (or, at least ended up finding) with the Wii.

It's not gonna kill the consoles though, or PC gaming. The games you can play on a phone or a tablet are simple. Time fillers, for when you on a bus, subway... waiting at the airport... whatever.

There will always be people who want a more complex deep game with a big screen / monitor and a controller / keyboard and mouse.

the article is also about the surge of developers going to PC because there is a better chance an "Indie" company can develop an original game that takes off.

mcan 03-04-2013 11:23 PM

I think the next gen consoles are gonna be hurt by the fact that there isn't a new DVD format.

Playstation sold because it was a great piece of hardware and the games were awesome at launch.

Playstation 2 sold because it was cool looking, had a few cool games, but it was MANY people's first DVD player. It was an excuse to upgrade.

Playstation 3 didn't have much at launch, and what they did have didn't fully use the capabilities. Madden was a huge disappointment. But it was cool, and it was everybody's first BluRay player. I actually splurged that day and got a new TV and an HDMI cable... It was freaking beautiful. Now I use it every day to watch movies, get online, game (only every once in awhile), and I watch a crap ton of Netflix.

I watched the launch party 2 hour event for PS4, and while it all looks neat... It's just not anything I feel like I need right now. Don't get me wrong, I'll prob start saving now and go get it at launch, just to have one (because I'm a tool like that). But overall... I guess I'm just hoping for a better version of what I already have. Less noisy fan and heat, much better browser, lower download times, much less lag with online gaming, etc... Maybe it'll have .mkv support?

I'll be thrilled if they significantly upgrade the Madden franchise, and can make a few games that will suck me in the way Ninja Gaiden Sigma did. But overall I'm just not a gamer anymore. Haven't been in a long time.