ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Lee's Summit considering Pit Bull Ban (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=142317)

rageeumr 06-15-2006 09:19 AM

Lee's Summit considering Pit Bull Ban

I can't believe this hasn't been talked about here... did I just miss it?

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/14824615.htm

Lee's Summit considers ban on pit bulls
The Kansas City Star

Lee's Summit is joining the list of cities talking about pit bulls.

Councilman Ed Cockrell on Wednesday proposed in a committee meeting that the breed be banned before the city has an incident.

Two other councilmen had mixed reactions. Councilman Ron Williams said people who already own pit bulls that behave should be allowed to keep those dogs, but he'd accept a ban on more pit bulls coming into the city. Randy Rhoads said a ban might create a false sense of security because other breeds are capable of seriously injuring people.

City Administrator Steve Lewis said Lee's Summit has ordinances to handle individually vicious dogs.

"There's a lot of debate about what's the best way to go," he said.

MOhillbilly 06-15-2006 09:36 AM

In my heart i still think bans are the best thing for the breed, but i also feel that the goverment should have no say in the confiscation of private property w/out real and solid probable cause.

BigRedChief 06-15-2006 09:52 AM

As a citizen of the lovely suburban bedroom city of Lee's Summit I have a dog in this fight.

On one hand the city is a very politically correct city but it has traditionally has had a political base being Republican and very conservative.

Seat Belts, Helmuts and proventive bans are all the same kind of thing. Trying to regulate the behaviour of its citizens. If we go down that path why is cigarettes and liquor sales never a part of the discussion?

Eleazar 06-15-2006 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly
In my heart i still think bans are the best thing for the breed, but i also feel that the goverment should have no say in the confiscation of private property w/out real and solid probable cause.

Maybe they should grandfather in people who already have the dogs and are registered in the city.

How do they determine what is a Pit Bull anyways? Are they going to test the dog's DNA and see what %? Does the dog have to be 50% pit bull? Is 20% enough for the dog to be illegal?

Dartgod 06-15-2006 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageeumr
Randy Rhoads said a ban might create a false sense of security because other breeds are capable of seriously injuring people.

Well then, for God's sake, let's just ban all dogs. :rolleyes:

Eleazar 06-15-2006 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod

We should just ban reeruns like that from speaking.

BIG_DADDY 06-15-2006 10:01 AM

It's hitting all over Kansas and Missouri now. They had a meeting last night in Overland Park and there is another in Independence on the 19th. THey are selling fear at unpresidented levels right now.

Chan93lx50 06-15-2006 10:03 AM

Correct me if I am wrong Pit Bull owners. The dogs are only mean if they are trained to be, otherwise they make great pets.

I suppose the major fear of this bread is their heads are so big and their jaws are like that of a snapping turtle and when they latch on they dont let go.

IMHO, any Dog can be dangerous

BIG_DADDY 06-15-2006 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod

These are the breeds they are going to go after once they get some legislation passed. If you have any of these breeds you should be seriously concerned and fight against all BSL.

*American Pit Bull Terrier
*American Staffordshire Terrier
*Staffordshire Bull Terrier
*Rottweiler
*Bull Mastiff
*Doberman Pinscher
*St. Bernard
*Dogo Argentino
*German Shephard
*Akita
*Chow Chow
*Boxer
*Rhodesian Ridgeback
*Dogue de Bordeaux
*Husky
*Wolf Hybrid
*Great Pyrenees

BIG_DADDY 06-15-2006 10:05 AM

Here is some info on the Independence meeting. You should fight it in all areas because once they start is spreads like wild fire.

The next public city council meeting is June 19
There is "already a lady signed up to speak to the dog issue-it may or may not be on the agenda", according to the Clerk today. (I have a feeling this is Ms. Castillo with the BanPitBulls site.)
In order to speak you have to be signed up before Friday at 816-325-7010.

Form letters can be found at www.defendingdog.com or http://www.rott-n-chatter.com.

There are only a few Councilmembers with email...so any correspondance sent be sure to include the Council Aide ssaxton@indepmo.org and ask that the info be forwarded to ALL Councilmembers.

Office of the City Council
Sheila Saxton Council Aide
Phone: (816)325-7022
Fax: (816)325-7012
E-mail: ssaxton@indepmo.org

Mayor Don Reimal
Phone:(816)325-7022
Home Phone:(816) 461-6044
Fax:(816)325-7012
Councilmember Will Swoffer
Home Phone:(816) 257-1888
Councilmember Renee Paluka
Home Phone:(816) 478-8641
reneepaluka@comcast.net
Councilmember Jim Page
Home Phone:(816) 252-1198
Councilmember Jim Schultz
Council Phone:(816)325-7022
E-mail: onelaw3@swbell.net
**Also, please go to Ms. Castillos website (the woman who started the petition) so that you can counter some of the false information she is putting out there to get people to sign her petition. http://stoppitbullattacks.com/**
http://www.examiner.net/stories/0612...61206002.shtml

Chan93lx50 06-15-2006 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY
These are the breeds they are going to go after once they get some legislation passed. If you have any of these breeds you should be seriously concerned and fight against all BSL.

*American Pit Bull Terrier
*American Staffordshire Terrier
*Staffordshire Bull Terrier
*Rottweiler
*Bull Mastiff
*Doberman Pinscher
*St. Bernard
*Dogo Argentino
*German Shephard
*Akita
*Chow Chow
*Boxer
*Rhodesian Ridgeback
*Dogue de Bordeaux
*Husky
*Wolf Hybrid
*Great Pyrenees

Hmmm, so much for living in a free country?

Pennywise 06-15-2006 10:09 AM

Those are some sad phone numbers.

Dartgod 06-15-2006 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY
Boxer

What a frickin' joke. I'm not familiar with most of those breeds, but I have first hand knowledge of boxers (I just lost my 12 year old female this spring).

I don't know how anyone with a shred of intelligence could consider boxers as a dangerous breed. It is common knowledge in the dog world that boxers are one of the most gentle breeds to have around children.

Eleazar 06-15-2006 10:10 AM

They want to outlaw Boxers?

Half the people in Kansas City would have to move out.

Demonpenz 06-15-2006 10:12 AM

there are a ton of boxers around the op area