ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Video Games Game Consoles Are Already Dead — And Developers Know It (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270721)

Gravedigger 03-05-2013 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 9465608)
Umm, consoles have become PC's that happen to have a game controller with it in the box.. What everyone is raving about on consoles has been done for 10years on those so called PC's no one plays..

Resistance is futile..

I've built my own computers since I was 14, I know PC gaming, you don't have to sit there and try to talk to me like I'm a homer for consoles. Between playing WoW since BETA and first person shooters on the PC, I know the value of a great rig (not that WoW stretches graphical barriers but you get my drift, Crysis 1 and 2, Farcry or Guild Wars can be subbed in etc). I'm not bragging because I'm not what I used to be, but the simple math comes down to this:

If you're a person who can't build a PC and doesn't have $2000+ to drop on an overpriced Dell or Alienware, you're going to go with the console at less than half the price. You can take consoles with you much easier than a PC, you can play Multiplayer with just one console as opposed to a PC, and PC's require much more know how than your typical console. If you build a computer and the MoBo goes out, there's so much more that goes into it than just getting a red ring of death and buying a new xbox for the same price as a primo motherboard goes for, then you have to worry about vid card, processor, hard drive, you know the drill.

I guess it just comes down to who you game with. Back in the day when I played Counterstrike competitively and went to alot of LAN parties, PC gaming was my thing. But if I'm a guy who plays Madden and the latest Halo game with my buddies then I see an Xbox is the way to go. Luckily I've always favored PC gaming because I can put the extra effort into making my rig the right one for me, but when you come down to teenagers and kids, consoles will win out most of the time. These kids don't have the money to buy PC's unless they're working or their parents get them whatever they want, but I know that when kids ask for a PC or an Xbox, parents are going to go with the cheaper alternative most of the time.

With PCs you pay for what you get; graphical comparisons are a no brainer if you have a good to great rig, shooters are infinetly better with mouse and keyboard, MMO's on consoles? Pfft. But I'll always have a PC and a console because I like the variety. To say that consoles are going to die out is the most ridiculous jargon I've ever heard, just because we went through a recession and this generation of consoles is late to the party by a couple years, this article seems to start mass panic and a far fetched conclusion that is unlikely at best.

Also don't compare Android and IOS games to console games. You're going against numbers like the ten gajillion people who've bought Angry Birds because it's .99 and they need a time waster. I somehow doubt the entire world of underground Angry Birds competitive leagues will ever be considered hardcore gamers. If you tell me that you can somehow do better on Megaman X for IOS than you could with a PC emulator and a controller then I'll punch you in the face.

You wouldn't play Uncharted on a tablet just as you wouldn't play WoW on a console. If you want to be the guy that says, "FFXI was the shit on the Xbox!!!" Then go ahead, but I don't know a single person like you.

patteeu 03-05-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 9465502)
Who cares. 95% of gamers are not "competitive" gamers.

Casual gamers are moving to the phone/tablet world. You're a tweener.

HC_Chief 03-05-2013 10:04 AM

Price point dictates otherwise: PC/Mac = $thousands; Console = $hundreds.

kaplin42 03-05-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 9464702)
I disagree. I don't know anyone who games on a PC. Maybe a couple aquintances I don't know about, but everyone I know who does game, has either an Xbox or PS3. I don't ever see myself gaming on a PC.

Pfft. I game almost exclusively on my PC. Though, I have a gaming PC, built to destroy the graphics of any console out there, or even soon to be out there.

And before you say but I can play on my 70 inch big screen, so can I, and I can use a controller, and a mic, and anything and everything a console can do, only 10x better. On top of that, on my second and third monitor I can watch netflix and surf the web at the same time depending on how bad my A.D.D gets.

kaplin42 03-05-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9465710)
I can somewhat understand people who would rather play on a pc than a game console, but who the hell would rather play games on a tablet or their phones?

The people that think Angry Birds is awesome.

patteeu 03-05-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HC_Chief (Post 9466693)
Price point dictates otherwise: PC/Mac = $thousands; Console = $hundreds.

It doesn't seem to be PC vs console. It seems to be console vs phone.

L.A. Chieffan 03-05-2013 11:36 AM

Console/PC games are expensive to make. Youre talking budgets in the multi-million range rivaling major motion pictures. Just look at Curt Schilling.

But games on phones and tablets. Cheap. Fraction of a cost. Plus even more distribution.
Way of the future dude, 100 percent electronic.

candyman 03-05-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9464907)
Sweet. Square needs to develop an old-school Final Fantasy game for Android.

Check the Play Store, there are already three of them I believe. Ive been playing the shit out of FF3, its great.

candyman 03-05-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 9466812)
Pfft. I game almost exclusively on my PC. Though, I have a gaming PC, built to destroy the graphics of any console out there, or even soon to be out there.

And before you say but I can play on my 70 inch big screen, so can I, and I can use a controller, and a mic, and anything and everything a console can do, only 10x better. On top of that, on my second and third monitor I can watch netflix and surf the web at the same time depending on how bad my A.D.D gets.

This. Check out Crisis 2 settings maxed on a good gaming rig and you'll never want to play on a console again.

Setsuna 03-05-2013 11:44 AM

Gaming PCs cost you about $800-$1K and then you have to upgrade it every couple of years, if that long, with about $400 extra. That's stupid.

Pitt Gorilla 03-05-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 9465717)
This isn't about PC versus consoles. It's the phones and tablets that are changing things the most right now. There's been a boom in casual gaming... Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, etc. It's the same market Nintendo went after (or, at least ended up finding) with the Wii.

It's not gonna kill the consoles though, or PC gaming. The games you can play on a phone or a tablet are simple. Time fillers, for when you on a bus, subway... waiting at the airport... whatever.

There will always be people who want a more complex deep game with a big screen / monitor and a controller / keyboard and mouse.

Correct. Board games are excellent on the iPad.

Dayze 03-05-2013 11:46 AM

I've kicked around the idea of building a flight simluatre for the past 3 years. Getting a dedicated rig (no idea what would be a good one from a hardware POV); building a desk to atatch all the flight controls - yoke/throttle/switch panel, instrument display, radio, multi-panel etc. Get a nice big monitor, and possibly 2 smaller ones for each side (would do this down the road)

I used to 'fly' quit a bit on my lap top but it sucked. but, i did get a good understanding of how to read approach plates, maps, VOR radials etc. I always thought it was fun to fly from local, to like Arkansas and back; or to/from various airports. Got to the point where I could fly a commercial type jet or Lear Jet and do the whole auto-land thing which was pretty fun.

and if I want to go with a Jet level deal, I've seen guys do setups where they place stickers on the assigned hot key on the keyboard for whatever they want etc, then black out the remaining keys with black stickers. Mount it above them, or whever so they don't have to necessarily buy switch panels, multi-panels etc.
I want a rig that will be able to handle the add ons like terrain, airport traffic (luggage carrts, other planes etc), run at a better FPS.
Wife wants a PS4 so I can put my PS3 upstairs for her and to stream etc. 1/2 tempted to just use the PS4 money on a CPU

Fish 03-05-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandusksuna (Post 9466968)
Gaming PCs cost you about $800-$1K and then you have to upgrade it every couple of years, if that long, with about $400 extra. That's stupid.

Bullshit.

notorious 03-05-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candyman (Post 9466953)
Check the Play Store, there are already three of them I believe. Ive been playing the shit out of FF3, its great.

I want all-new. I love the originals, and have played them through probably 3 to 5 times each, but if there is a new ff like the old games for 25 to 40 bucks on my phone, I will buy it.

Garcia Bronco 03-05-2013 12:13 PM

LOL...developers don't drive the market for console games. If those developers don't want to do it, then new ones will be employed in their place because this is true: Money talks and bullshit walks.