ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   KC Chiefs head coaches (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=157823)

FDS 02-03-2007 07:46 PM

KC Chiefs head coaches

Has there been one you were sorry to see go? People complained about Marty. They complained about Cunningham. They complained about Vermeil. Don't recall those who came before.

CHENZ A! 02-03-2007 07:49 PM

for me, only Marty. for Pops, it was Marv Levy.

cdcox 02-03-2007 07:51 PM

Maybe Stram? He stayed with some aging vets too long. Not sure if he could have rebuilt them, but would have been worth a shot.

Levy was a good coach, but the offense didn't have enough tools to build with. Not sure that he would have been successful if given more time.

Mackovic was unfairly shown the door, but I'm not sad about it because he really didn't have what it takes, IMO.

In summary, no, not really.

C-Mac 02-03-2007 07:57 PM

Hank & Marty

shaneo69 02-03-2007 07:57 PM

Levy got screwed. He would've had us in the playoffs within the next two years.

Spott 02-03-2007 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaneo69

Delaney's death and the players strike in 82 really hurt Levy's chances when he was here. The Chiefs had seemingly turned the corner in 81(Levy's last full season). If Levy would have been around in 83, maybe we would have drafted some other QB besides Blackledge that year.

milkman 02-03-2007 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox
Maybe Stram? He stayed with some aging vets too long. Not sure if he could have rebuilt them, but would have been worth a shot.

Levy was a good coach, but the offense didn't have enough tools to build with. Not sure that he would have been successful if given more time.

Mackovic was unfairly shown the door, but I'm not sad about it because he really didn't have what it takes, IMO.

In summary, no, not really.

I think this really covers it all pretty well.

Stram didn't really adjust to the changing landscape of the NFL.

I would like to have seen Levy get a couple more years.

But, like you, in the end, the answer is no.

C-Mac 02-03-2007 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaneo69

He lost Delaney too.

siberian khatru 02-03-2007 08:56 PM

I thought Levy got a raw deal at the time.

Everyone else, I felt it was time to move on.

el borracho 02-03-2007 09:37 PM

I was very unhappy to see Marty go. People can say he sucks in the playoffs but, honestly, Marty is lightyears better than anyone who followed him. I would much rather lose a close game in the playoffs each year for a decade than go twice in a decade and get horribly embarrassed each time.

I was mildly unhappy to see Cunningham go. I know I'm going to take a lot of grief over this one but please consider everything in context. Cunningham was pretty average (16-16, in two years) but the Chiefs fired Cunningham to get Vermeil and that was too expensive, IMO. Firing Cunningham also meant giving away almost 1/2 dozen picks to get Vermeil and all the Rams' players and that expenditure has cost this franchise. And, on top of that, Vermeil went on to be pretty average. Cunningham might be bad, I doubt if he is as terrible as some here would think. In any case, I would have preferred to keep him (and all our picks) instead of firing him to get Vermeil.

cdcox 02-03-2007 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho
I was very unhappy to see Marty go. People can say he sucks in the playoffs but, honestly, Marty is lightyears better than anyone who followed him. I would much rather lose a close game in the playoffs each year for a decade than go twice in a decade and get horribly embarrassed each time.

I was mildly unhappy to see Cunningham go. I know I'm going to take a lot of grief over this one but please consider everything in context. Cunningham was pretty average (16-16, in two years) but the Chiefs fired Cunningham to get Vermeil and that was too expensive, IMO. Firing Cunningham also meant giving away almost 1/2 dozen picks to get Vermeil and all the Rams' players and that expenditure has cost this franchise. And, on top of that, Vermeil went on to be pretty average. Cunningham might be bad, I doubt if he is as terrible as some here would think. In any case, I would have preferred to keep him (and all our picks) instead of firing him to get Vermeil.

Gunther was on the edge of a breakdown the whole time he was coaching. Carl did him a favor.

Deberg_1990 02-03-2007 09:42 PM

Frank Ganz....all he needed was one more year!

milkman 02-03-2007 09:51 PM

Quote:

All I'm going to say about Marty is better than bad does not equal good.

As for Gunt, his ass needed to be fired, but that ****in' moron Carl didn't have to throw draft picks away to hire Dick.
He could have done what most every other team does, and interveiw quailfied candidates, and hired a young up and comer.

And the dumbass didn't learn.

He essentially did the same damn thing when he went after, and hired, Herman ****ing Edwards.

To be honest, I'd like to beat Carl Peterson about the head and shoulders with a baseball bat.

C-Mac 02-03-2007 09:53 PM

Quote:

Gunther wasnt bad and he had a totally different approach to offense than Marty or Herm. His offenses set records at the time and was pretty darn good especially considering he had Grbac as QB.

Chief Roundup 02-03-2007 09:53 PM

AAAAAHHHHHH this the KC Chiefs fans you are asking that ? to. There would always be someone to complain about something.