ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News Girl buys water, spends night in jail (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274202)

Nightfyre 06-30-2013 03:52 PM

Girl buys water, spends night in jail

I found this story interesting/entertaining.
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...181104442.html
Quote:

Felony charges were dropped on Thursday against a 20-year-old University of Virginia student who says she panicked when undercover agents from the state's Alcohol Beverage Control division mistook her water purchase for beer.

According to Charlottesville (Va.) Daily Progress, the student, Elizabeth Daly, was walking to her car on April 11 at approximately 10:15 p.m. with a box of sparkling water, cookie dough and ice cream she had just bought from a local supermarket when the agents—six men and one woman, all in plainclothes—approached suspecting the box, a blue carton of LaCroix sparkling water, to be a 12-pack of beer. One jumped on the hood of her SUV; another pulled out a gun, Daly said, as her roommates seated inside looked on in horror.

"They were showing unidentifiable badges after they approached us, but we became frightened, as they were not in anything close to a uniform," Daly wrote in an account submitted to the court. "I couldn't put my windows down unless I started my car, and when I started my car they began yelling to not move the car, not to start the car. They began trying to break the windows. My roommates and I were ... terrified."

Daly's roommate in the front passenger seat told her to "go, go, go"—and that's what she did, apparently "grazing" two of the agents in the process.

The students called 911 as they left the parking lot, police said, and were pulled over by another agent driving a vehicle with lights and sirens, Charlottesville Commonwealth Attorney Dave Chapman told the paper.

Daly apologized when she realized who they were, Chapman said, but agents arrested Daly and charged her with two counts of assaulting a law enforcement officer and one count of eluding police—each carrying a maximum penalty of five years in prison and $2,500 in fines. She spent the night in Albemarle-Charlottesville Regional Jail.

"This has been an extremely trying experience," Daly wrote. "It is something to this day I cannot understand or believe has come to this point."

Either can Chapman.

"It wouldn't be the right thing to do to prosecute this," he said.

Nonetheless, Chapman "stood by the agents' decision to file charges, citing faith in a process that yielded an appropriate resolution."

"You don't know all the facts until you complete the investigation," he said.
Is it common practice to draw a weapon on an underage person suspected of purchasing alcohol?

Chiefshrink 06-30-2013 03:54 PM

Barney and Gomer must have been on duty:shake:

Rain Man 06-30-2013 03:55 PM

I bet they get her for terrorism.

Hammock Parties 06-30-2013 03:55 PM

Great job, CrazyCoffey.

Rasputin 06-30-2013 03:58 PM

That is some bull shit if they get prosecuted.

threebag 06-30-2013 03:59 PM

Ice Pirates

BigMeatballDave 06-30-2013 04:00 PM

Again?

threebag 06-30-2013 04:01 PM

The prosecutions case won't hold water

Bwana 06-30-2013 04:01 PM

Cop clowns

http://www.inflexwetrust.com/wp-cont...ownCop1991.jpg

GordonGekko 06-30-2013 04:02 PM

Lol, six men and one woman it took. Jeebus. And another squad car pulled her over a minute later. This seems very excessive. Remind me not to buy water in Charlottesville, Va if the time ever comes.

Bowser 06-30-2013 04:03 PM

Cops pull guns on people they think are underage buying alcohol?

Donger 06-30-2013 04:07 PM

This same story is in DC, BTW.

They aren't cops. They are ABC agents. She and her friend had just spent a few hours hearing about rape victim stories.

The agents were in plainclothes (they don't wear uniforms). They did show their badges. She already apologized and admitted she over-reacted.

The charges against her have been dropped.

Nightfyre 06-30-2013 04:09 PM

I assume 90% of the posters on this site are like me and avoid DC entirely due to the extreme levels of party-liners and stupidity, and therefore did not see this story.

Rain Man 06-30-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9785177)
Cops pull guns on people they think are underage buying alcohol?

In fairness, the kids I knew in high school who bought alcohol tended to be hoodlums who hit people in gym class and smoked behind the shop building at lunch.

Donger 06-30-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 9785189)
I assume 90% of the posters on this site are like me and avoid DC entirely due to the extreme levels of party-liners and stupidity, and therefore did not see this story.

I wasn't complaining. Just stating a fact. The thread title is amusing, however:

"Welcome to Police State America"

Bwana 06-30-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 9785185)

They aren't cops. They are ABC agents. She and her friend had just spent a few hours hearing about rape victim stories.

The agents were in plainclothes (they don't wear uniforms). They did show their badges. She already apologized and admitted she over-reacted.

WTF is an ABC agent? Is that like kindergarten for beginning cops? It would seem so after reading that story.

mikey23545 06-30-2013 04:11 PM

It doesn't seem very excessive - it seems mother****ing insane.

Donger 06-30-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 9785196)
WTF is an ABC agent? Is that like kindergarten for beginning cops? It would seem so after reading that story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol..._control_state

Bwana 06-30-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 9785198)

It would seem the good state of VA is wasting the tax payers money with that outfit.

Pitt Gorilla 06-30-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey23545 (Post 9785197)
It doesn't seem very excessive - it seems mother****ing insane.

agreed, and we don't often agree.

mikey23545 06-30-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 9785185)

Are you actually defending these idiots, idiots who drew a weapon on a couple of teenage girls who they suspected of buying alcohol illegally?

You get more bizarre everyday.

And of course no one has ever flashed fake badges before in order to commit a crime.

Bowser 06-30-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 9785199)
It would seem the good state of VA is wasting the tax payers money with that outfit.

No shit, especially if they get hit with some "pain and suffering/mental anguish" suit.

I'm still hung up on the idiots jumping on the hood of her car and pulling their guns, even if Rain Man's theory made a ton of sense.

mikey23545 06-30-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 9785204)
agreed, and we don't often agree.

There's number two.

Donger 06-30-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey23545 (Post 9785205)
Are you actually defending these idiots, idiots who drew a weapon on a couple of teenage girls who they suspected of buying alcohol illegally?

You get more bizarre everyday.

And of course no one has ever flashed fake badges before in order to commit a crime.

I'm not sure that I need to defend them. They were doing their job (lawfully enforcing the law) and the females freaked out and fled. Law enforcement officers tend to get a bit annoyed when you flee.

As to getting more bizarre by the day, I'd suggest you take a peek in the mirror, Mikey. You've been off the rocker since Snowden. It's a shame.

Lonewolf Ed 06-30-2013 04:23 PM

I worked in a liquor store for 20 years and I never knew ABC were armed. They're dicks, but carrying guns, too? I am glad I moved on from that job.

Pitt Gorilla 06-30-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 9785210)
I'm not sure that I need to defend them. They were doing their job (lawfully enforcing the law) and the females freaked out and fled. Law enforcement officers tend to get a bit annoyed when you flee.

As to getting more bizarre by the day, I'd suggest you take a peek in the mirror, Mikey. You've been off the rocker since Snowden. It's a shame.

What law did she initially break that led to them jumping on her car?

Donger 06-30-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 9785222)
What law did she initially break that led to them jumping on her car?

Fleeing from law enforcement officers, I presume.

Hammock Parties 06-30-2013 04:31 PM

When law enforcement officers are completely unrecognizable, fleeing is understandable.

****ing idiot cops are responsible for this.

Donger 06-30-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Smith HATER (Post 9785234)
When law enforcement officers are completely unrecognizable, fleeing is understandable.

****ing idiot cops are responsible for this.

They showed their badges, GoChiefs, as you know.

GloucesterChief 06-30-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 9785236)

Yeah, no one has ever impersonated the cops before to commit a crime.

Donger 06-30-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 9785250)

Of course they have. The first agent to approach the vehicle was female, too.

notorious 06-30-2013 04:51 PM

Is it fleeing when the police were 100% wrong?

That would suck if I was wrongfully arrested, and got charged with resisting because I was pissed at something so obviously wrong.

notorious 06-30-2013 04:53 PM

What happens if an unmarked ABC agent comes at me with a gun and I pull my concealed pistol and kill him?

I wasn't doing anything wrong to begin with........

LiveSteam 06-30-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 9785236)

I had a out of uniform Iowa state patrolman go all BIG BAD COP on me, & show me his badge.
At a ****ing Selena Gomez concert in Nebraska two years ago
At first I was like oh shit,then I was like.ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME!!!!!!
You dnt have any jurisdictions over here. & he just got back in line.
I was in my car with my kids & the Dick-trouper heard me drop an F-bomb.

Donger 06-30-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9785265)
Is it fleeing when the police were 100% wrong?

That would suck if I was wrongfully arrested, and got charged with resisting because I was pissed at something so obviously wrong.

100% wrong? How so?

They were doing their job. They suspected that these girls were underage and had purchased alcohol. If the girls had just cooperated, there wouldn't have been a need to flee.

notorious 06-30-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 9785273)
100% wrong? How so?

They were doing their job. They suspected that these girls were underage and had purchased alcohol. If the girls had just cooperated, there wouldn't have been a need to flee.

Water is wet when in liquid form.

Any arguments? ROFL

Donger 06-30-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9785278)
Water is wet when in liquid form.

Any arguments? ROFL

Please explain how the ABC agents "were 100% wrong" and we'll go from there. Or, was that just hyperbole?

mlyonsd 06-30-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9785270)
What happens if an unmarked ABC agent comes at me with a gun and I pull my concealed pistol and kill him?

I wasn't doing anything wrong to begin with........

This. No reason whatsoever to pull a gun for an alcohol bust.

Just Passin' By 06-30-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

100% wrong? How so?

Jumping on the car's hood and pulling a gun on potential underraged drinkers is part of their job?

Are you high?

notorious 06-30-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 9785279)
Please explain how the ABC agents "were 100% wrong" and we'll go from there. Or, was that just hyperbole?

I am not wasting any more of my time since you are obviously looking for attention.

Rain Man 06-30-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 9785250)

That's illegal.

Hammock Parties 06-30-2013 05:02 PM

Quote:

100% wrong? How so?

They were doing their job.

By trying to break car windows and threatening innocent girls with guns?

Come on.

Just ****ing talk to the girl.

Donger 06-30-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9785284)
I am not wasting any more of my time since you are obviously looking for attention.

No, I'm trying to ascertain how you reached that conclusion. I'll take your lack of detail to mean that you were indeed employing hyperbole.

Donger 06-30-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Smith HATER (Post 9785290)
By trying to break car windows and threatening innocent girls with guns?

Come on.

Just ****ing talk to the girl.

They WERE trying to speak with the girl. The female agent approached first and then called the other agents over because the girls weren't being cooperative.

This really isn't such a huge story. The girls admit they over-reacted and the charges have been dropped.

GordonGekko 06-30-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

100% wrong? How so?

They were not doing their jobs. 7 agents it does not take to take on a couple 20 year old girls buying water. Sorry, but this was piss poor execution, and they should all lose their badges.

Donger 06-30-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 9785283)
Jumping on the car's hood and pulling a gun on potential underraged drinkers is part of their job?

Are you high?

That's what the girls claimed, yes. If that proves to be true, I'll agree that the agents over-reacted as well to the situation. But, it's still a situation that escalated because the girls were admittedly on-edge over what they saw earlier.

Donger 06-30-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonGekko (Post 9785300)
They were not doing their jobs. 7 agents it does not take to take on a couple 20 year old girls buying water. Sorry, but this was piss poor execution, and they should all lose their badges.

Well, the girl agent needed help. Females are like that.

Rain Man 06-30-2013 05:16 PM

I'm no law enforcement agent, but it does seem to me like the preferred approach would be:

1. Approach the girls, say hi.
2. Show your badge and say, "It looks like you've got some beer."
3. Look at water, say "Never mind. Have a nice day."

I'm not sure that hood-jumping and gun-drawing were necessary unless she got belligerent at the three steps above and got in her car or started it after Step 3.

Nightfyre 06-30-2013 05:18 PM

I don't understand how it is appropriate to draw your weapon on someone at all in this context. Unless they were explicitly trying to run you over.

Hammock Parties 06-30-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 9785299)
They WERE trying to speak with the girl.

I see no evidence that they attempted to speak with her calmly.

The story goes:

badge flash - guns pulled - scared girls - borderline assault - unjust arrest

Donger 06-30-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 9785314)
I don't understand how it is appropriate to draw your weapon on someone at all in this context. Unless they were explicitly trying to run you over.

According to the articles, she did graze a couple of the agents with her SUV when she fled. I don't know if the gun was pulled before, during or after that happened (if at all).

Donger 06-30-2013 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Smith HATER (Post 9785316)
I see no evidence that they attempted to speak with her calmly.

The story goes:

badge flash - guns pulled - scared girls - borderline assault - unjust arrest

Not quite:

ABC spokeswoman Kathleen Shaw said in the agency statement released Friday afternoon that agents were working the area that night, concentrating on underage possession enforcement. Shaw said a female agent saw "what appeared to be an underage person in possession of what appeared to be a case of beer."

"The agent identified herself as a police officer and was displaying her badge," the statement said.

"Other agents did not join the incident until the subject refused to cooperate," ABC said. "Rather than comply with the officers' requests, the subject drove off, striking two officers."

mlyonsd 06-30-2013 05:23 PM

Seems to me the cheapest way, and maybe most effective way to keep underage kids from drinking would be to park one marked patrol car with one police officer in the parking lot.

Bump 06-30-2013 05:25 PM

those abc agents are heroes

/donger

Donger 06-30-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 9785327)
those abc agents are heroes

/donger

Oh look. More hyperbole.

Ace Gunner 06-30-2013 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 9785299)
They WERE trying to speak with the girl. The female agent approached first and then called the other agents over because the girls weren't being cooperative.

This really isn't such a huge story. The girls admit they over-reacted and the charges have been dropped.

the only way these officers could have been more wreckless with the lives of law abiding americans is if the officer on the hood of the car, gun drawn, lost balance and shot the driver.

over a six pack. alleged at that.

But I know the line of thought -- comply or die. This has nothing to do with breaking the law, obviously.

Bump 06-30-2013 05:29 PM

that stupid girl shouldn't have made a purchase at a store that sells alcohol if she didn't want to be arrested. It's her fault for being there. No police or government official in the history of the USA has ever done anything wrong, they are all heroes.

/donger

mikey23545 06-30-2013 05:29 PM

The ABC agents should have contacted the NSA first and asked to listen to the last few phone calls the girls made. They probably would have heard them discussing going out for water with their friends, and the whole incident could have been avoided.

Donger 06-30-2013 05:31 PM

Man, the whole kook brigade is invading. I hope teedubya is next.

LMAO

Ace Gunner 06-30-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 9785336)

LMAO

see, this is why folks shit on you. because you've already stunk the room up.

oldandslow 06-30-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

LMAO

Rain man, mylonsd and Pitt are Kook brigade? Look, no one, absolutely no one except you seem to think these officers acted appropriately. That says something, but you seem to have a bit of difficulty looking in the mirror at times.

Donger 06-30-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz_TinBalls (Post 9785339)
see, this is why folks shit on you. because you've already stunk the room up.

I don't know what that means.

Rain Man 06-30-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 9785314)

The story is a bit confusing about whether they drew their guns and hoodjumps first or whether she revved her SUV first. It also is unclear about whether she got in her SUV before or after being approached. These are kind of important details as we conduct the Chiefsplanet trial.

Donger 06-30-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldandslow (Post 9785340)
Rain man, mylonsd and Pitt are Kook brigade? Look, no one, absolutely no one except you seem to think these officers acted appropriately. That says something, but you seem to have a bit of difficulty looking in the mirror at times.

I was referring to the folks who are engaged in hyperbole. I didn't see any of that from the three you mentioned.

And, I've already said that if it is shown that the officers drew weapons and tried to break the windows, that is most likely an over-reaction to the situation.

Nightfyre 06-30-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9785342)
The story is a bit confusing about whether they drew their guns and hoodjumps first or whether she revved her SUV first. It also is unclear about whether she got in her SUV before or after being approached. These are kind of important details as we conduct the Chiefsplanet trial.

The girl is guilty.

It is obvious.

She purchased sparkling water from the ABC store and deserved to be accosted by rent-a-cops who clearly crave action.

Donger 06-30-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9785342)

Indeed, pig lover.

Hammock Parties 06-30-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 9785322)
Not quite:

ABC spokeswoman Kathleen Shaw said in the agency statement released Friday afternoon that agents were working the area that night, concentrating on underage possession enforcement. Shaw said a female agent saw "what appeared to be an underage person in possession of what appeared to be a case of beer."

"The agent identified herself as a police officer and was displaying her badge," the statement said.

"Other agents did not join the incident until the subject refused to cooperate," ABC said. "Rather than comply with the officers' requests, the subject drove off, striking two officers."

This seems damning.

The girls definitely overreacted.

However, the police officers did go over the top in their reaction.

Donger 06-30-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Smith HATER (Post 9785351)
This seems damning.

The girls definitely overreacted.

However, the police officers did go over the top in their reaction.

At this point, the only people claiming that a gun was drawn and windows almost broken are the girls. If the agents acknowledge that as being true, I'll agree that the agents over-reacted.

teedubya 06-30-2013 05:42 PM

Donger is a Govt. shill, people. And a shit poster.

He defends all things govt., big oil, banks and corporate corruption. Donger gets a spot in the 7th level of hell near Hitler.

stonedstooge 06-30-2013 05:43 PM

Should have shot them

OrtonsPiercedTaint 06-30-2013 05:45 PM

She wouldn't have panicked if they were in uniform? Girl going to get raped.

SPATCH 06-30-2013 05:46 PM

It's so terrifying seeing which of your high school classmates wind up in law enforcement.

suzzer99 06-30-2013 05:48 PM

Clearly the best use of police time – seven plainclothes agents busting one terrified 20-year-old for carrying this: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-0I4stur9Wc...0/5-13+030.jpg

Hammock Parties 06-30-2013 05:49 PM

What's great is she took that sparkling water home, made cocktails, and boozed up in the privacy of her own home. :evil:

**** tha poleece.

teedubya 06-30-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_spatula (Post 9785363)
It's so terrifying seeing which of your high school classmates wind up in law enforcement.

It's a well documented fact, that in many districts, police forces only hire people with IQs no higher than 105.

Here's a story from 2000.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-b...6#.UdDEaD5ATwU

suzzer99 06-30-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_spatula (Post 9785363)

Hey at least they're not still bullying reeruned kids and torturing small animals.

Donger 06-30-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teedubya (Post 9785360)
Donger is a Govt. shill, people. And a shit poster.

He defends all things govt., big oil, banks and corporate corruption. Donger gets a spot in the 7th level of hell near Hitler.

Yes!

LMAO

griZZly64 06-30-2013 06:05 PM

Sounds like a ridiculous Will Ferrell comedy - Cops take it too seriously and try too hard.. Cheri Oteri hops on the hood of the car, belly first while aiming her pistol at the poor girls. Then Rob Riggle somehow has one of those battering rams the SWAT team uses to bust down doors and hes smashing out their windows with it. Then as they try to make their getaway Kathryn Hahn dramatically flings herself in front of the moving vehicle...

Just Passin' By 06-30-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

LMAO

It's not about people being kooks. It's about you being a dumbass on this topic.

Here's what you need to know when you look to assess blame here. This is a case where the po po were so out of line that a woman 'grazed' a couple of them with her car, and she's not getting prosecuted for it.

Hammock Parties 06-30-2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teedubya (Post 9785373)
It's a well documented fact, that in many districts, police forces only hire people with IQs no higher than 105.

This explains CrazyCoffey.