ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   How would you stop the Charger's offense? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=127498)

Hoover 10-26-2005 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SideWinder
I agree, but if Woods is covering Gates, then Gates will have a career day.

I would give him a little help from our FS and SS.

milkman 10-26-2005 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover
I would give him a little help from our FS and SS.

I would like to see DJ finally show some of that coverage ability he is reputed to have, with help from a safety.

Hit Gates off the line and knock him off his route.

Archie F. Swin 10-26-2005 09:32 AM

"How would you stop the Charger's?"

I would make Marty Schottenheimer their coa....oh wait

HemiEd 10-26-2005 09:38 AM

I would offer a suggestion that we do what Denver did to us: We would need to make sure that at least two of the following players are in the game on defense as backups.
1) Bartee
2) Griffen
3) Grigsby
4) Scanlon
5) Washington
When the whistle blows, ignore it. These guys keep pounding Brees, if one of them gets ejected, we can deal with it.
Heck, we may get lucky enough to only get one late hit called.

MOhillbilly 10-26-2005 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd
I would offer a suggestion that we do what Denver did to us: We would need to make sure that at least two of the following players are in the game on defense as backups.
1) Bartee
2) Griffen
3) Grigsby
4) Scanlon
5) Washington
When the whistle blows, ignore it. These guys keep pounding Brees, if one of them gets ejected, we can deal with it.
Heck, we may get lucky enough to only get one late hit called.

i hope thats a joke bro-i want KC to win w/ equal parts confidence and a scared to be beaten attitude. not by cheating and hurting people on purpose.

HemiEd 10-26-2005 09:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly
i hope thats a joke bro-i want KC to win w/ equal parts confidence and a scared to be beaten attitude. not by cheating and hurting people on purpose.

actually it is more of a dig at what Denver did on the Monday night game.

B_Ambuehl 10-26-2005 10:20 AM

Quote:

I would toy with the idea of playing a nickel with Woods covering Gates, then if Gates is staying in to run block Woods would be there for run support.

Just a thought
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

he scares you that bad?
I'd say other then Moss he's the toughest cover in the NFL right now. You can put someone fast on him but he jumps too well and catches anything around him so that won't work. When he runs his routes his moves are extremely good and he can get open anytime he wants against any linebacker in the NFL DJ, Bulluck, Bruschi (insert whatever hyped up coverage linebacker you want here) included.

Eric Parker is extremely hard to cover as well.

Definitely a tough offense to match up with and I don't think they've come close to peaking yet either which is pretty scary. They have better personnel then we had last year with the same type of capabilities so that oughta give you an idea. Like DV says, we could play our best game and still lose.

The way you beat San Diego is don't turn the ball over, key in on the run, and generate pressure in the backfield. If you wanna stop the run effectively you're gonna have to be one on one in the secondary but you can't give up big plays which is easier said then done.

milkman 10-26-2005 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B_Ambuehl
I'd say other then Moss he's the toughest cover in the NFL right now. You can put someone fast on him but he jumps too well and catches anything around him so that won't work. When he runs his routes his moves are extremely good and he can get open anytime he wants against any linebacker in the NFL DJ, Bulluck, Bruschi (insert whatever hyped up coverage linebacker you want here) included.

This is why you double him up with a safety.

Quote:

Eric Parker is extremely hard to cover as well.
The Chargers actually have a pretty good group of receivers in Parker, McCardell, and Reche Caldwell, who was really finally starting to make waves before he was injured last season.

Surtain and Warfield will match up pretty well with their top 2, but Sapp is going to have his hands full in the slot.

Quote:

Definitely a tough offense to match up with and I don't think they've come close to peaking yet either which is pretty scary. They have better personnel then we had last year with the same type of capabilities so that oughta give you an idea. Like DV says, we could play our best game and still lose.

The way you beat San Diego is don't turn the ball over, key in on the run, and generate pressure in the backfield. If you wanna stop the run effectively you're gonna have to be one on one in the secondary but you can't give up big plays which is easier said then done.
The one area we can exploit is the O-Line.
While they are better than the group that was there a couple of years ago, they still aren't a dominating line.

The front four/seven have to get quick pressure on Brees and make him pass before he wants to.

Contain LdT and pressure Brees is key to a winning D performance.

B_Ambuehl 10-26-2005 10:42 AM

Quote:

This is why you double him up with a safety.
If you take your safeties out of their normal alignment that's a very good way to get beat for 60+ yard TDs vs their WRs.

milkman 10-26-2005 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B_Ambuehl
If you take your safeties out of their normal alignment that's a very good way to get beat for 60+ yard TDs vs their WRs.

I'd take my chances with a weak armed Brees, Surtain and Warfield in man, and especially if I can get quick pressure.

Mr. Laz 10-26-2005 10:49 AM

play a zone with shallow safeties

It keeps all your guys facing the line of scrimmage to stop the run

then i man up on gates with one guy ... i probably yank wesley out of the lineup and run with an extra cornerback

dewayne washington and surtain at cornerback

Warfield mans up on Gates all over the field

Press the line of scrimmage and attack ... remind you defensive lineman to keep their heads up and be ready to raise their hands to block the quick pass when they can't get to the QB.

force Brees to beat you deep ... make sure that your outside linebackers are very aware of Tomlinson coming out of the backfield for passes.

Pray that Reche Caldwell doesn't kill us too much

jspchief 10-26-2005 10:53 AM

The one thing we have going for us is our LBs haven't needed much safety help in stopping the run. That should help us play Gates tougher. We need to make sure and jam him at the line every opportunity we get. KC should have volumes of ways to play a TE, because we've seen how teams play Gonzo for the last 8 years.

IMO, the biggest key will be our DT play. Denver got pressure by collapsing the pocket up the middle. SD's O-line isn't that great, so we need to get as much pressure as possible from our front four.

Calcountry 10-26-2005 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cormac
The way we'll beat the Chargers will be with our Offense, IMO. I agree with Hoover. We need to come out and RUN the ball and run it hard. We should approach the game the same way we did last season's Baltimore and Atlanta games, and last week's Miami game. Run the ball, control the clock, control the LOS and put together 12-14 play drives. If that happens we could win.....even if we don't get a stellar defensive performance. I'll be impressed if we hold SD to less than 24 points. I'm excited about the potential of our D, but we need to rely on a top-tier offensive performance to win this one.

JMO.

Except on our opening drive. I am quite sure that the SD brain trust will be looking for us to run it early and often. I mean, if you guys can figure it out, I am sure they can as well. The play action fake toss sweep left with a 20-30 yard pass route as the primary ought to be our first play from scrimage.

Sam 10-26-2005 11:27 AM

The front seven has to hold LT at or below his average numbers against the Chiefs. J. Allen has to not crash down the line at the snap and he needs to be aware of LT swinging out into the flat, I'm sure Marty will know that he's been beaten with that many times. How about using Surtain on McCardell, Warfield on Gates and either Washington or Sapp on their #2 in the nickle.

Mr. Laz 10-26-2005 11:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
-