ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   How would you stop the Charger's offense? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=127498)

philfree 10-26-2005 11:29 AM

Jeff Galouli(sp?) and a Lousville Slugger!

PhilFree:arrow:

dsgreene285 10-26-2005 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam
The front seven has to hold LT at or below his average numbers against the Chiefs. J. Allen has to not crash down the line at the snap and he needs to be aware of LT swinging out into the flat, I'm sure Marty will know that he's been beaten with that many times. How about using Surtain on McCardell, Warfield on Gates and either Washington or Sapp on their #2 in the nickle.

I believe that is exactly what we have to do, with no deep help. That will leave us with 8 in the box. That is what Philly did and I believe Warfield and Surtain are at least as good as their corners.

None of this works, however, unless we are getting some pressure on Brees when he is passing.

B_Ambuehl 10-26-2005 11:45 AM

If we try to defend SD like Philly did Brees will throw for 350 + yards easy. The eagles are much better at creating pressure and even as good as they were they still got outplayed by the Chargers passing game. Hell, as bad as their running game was against philly Brees still threw for nearly 300 yards and had his team in position to win the game twice down the stretch but they get a blocked kick and a fumble.

Sam 10-26-2005 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz
-

I like that idea.

Mr. Laz 10-26-2005 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B_Ambuehl
Hell, as bad as their running game was against philly Brees still threw for nearly 300 yards and had his team in position to win the game twice down the stretch but they get a blocked kick and a fumble.

isn't that because philly's offense sucked and kept the chargers in the game?

Mr. Laz 10-26-2005 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam
I like that idea.

thank you ..

it gives us 8 men in the box unless Gates splits out wide but still keeps our coverage guys on the field. It would force the charges to A) run right up the middle or B) throw the ball long

our best chance imo

MOhillbilly 10-26-2005 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz
-

aint that called the 46 defense?:)

Warrior5 10-26-2005 12:19 PM

Gates is not the only worry I have...add in McCardell, Caldwell, and Tomlinson, and I'm amazed they haven't wracked up more scores like they did against NY and NE.

The four teams that have held the Chargers under 24 points (and losses) are Dallas, Denver, Pittsburgh, and Philly; all very good defenses that are arguably much better than the Chiefs.

This one comes down to more than just playing mistake-free football; Vermiel and crew must not only come up with a gameplan that keeps the Chargers O off the field, but also a D scheme that attacks the Charger O weaknesses (?) and forces turnovers.

Calcountry 10-26-2005 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz
isn't that because philly's offense sucked and kept the chargers in the game?

This questions begs for an inverse thread titled: "What must San Diego do to shut down our offense"?

NJ Chief Fan 10-26-2005 12:36 PM

dj spy lt all day, surtain on mccardell and have warfield on gates

MOhillbilly 10-26-2005 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJ Chief Fan
dj spy lt all day, surtain on mccardell and have warfield on gates

a 'spy' leaves a players shoulders turned away from the line of scrimage and just makes a hole somewhere else.
its a show of weakness-worse than the blitz.

philfree 10-26-2005 12:51 PM

Doesn't DJ have the ability to cover Gates? I won't be suprised when Gun has both DJ and Mitchell on Gates on various plays. Sometimes one on one and sometimes doubled up. This is where I thought a player like DJ would be a big help to our D.

PhilFree:arrow:

Cormac 10-26-2005 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warrior5
Gates is not the only worry I have...add in McCardell, Caldwell, and Tomlinson, and I'm amazed they haven't wracked up more scores like they did against NY and NE.

The four teams that have held the Chargers under 24 points (and losses) are Dallas, Denver, Pittsburgh, and Philly; all very good defenses that are arguably much better than the Chiefs.

Good post.

I agree, and that is why we have to beat the Chargers with our O. If those 4 teams defenses keep the Chargers under 24, I will be pleasantly surprised if ours can, in their house, where we always seem to play badly. Our best chance of holding them to 24 points or less, is to keep their TOP to 25 mins or less.

bunny, every team knows we run the ball. The key is, that when healthy, they can't stop us. For that reason, I think we should stay away from the cutesy fake-end-around-stuff, and go with what works. A steady diet of power running plays between the tackles and around left end, some play-action passing, and timely screens, and we have a chance.

The way our D stops the Chargers is if our O makes their lives easy, by keeping SD on their back foot.

JMO.

Mr. Laz 10-26-2005 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly
aint that called the 46 defense?:)

kinda ...

that's basically the attitude/setup that philly used to stop the chargers

warfield has the size and speed to match up with Gates imo

can washington stay with McCardell?

Chieftain58 10-26-2005 01:14 PM

It all starts with LT, do the same thing as the Eagles did!!!!!!!