ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   How would you stop the Charger's offense? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=127498)

Kyle401 10-26-2005 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz
kinda ...

that's basically the attitude/setup that philly used to stop the chargers

warfield has the size and speed to match up with Gates imo

can washington stay with McCardell?

I think Washington has a better shot at staying with McCardell than Eric Parker. McCardell is not as fast or quick in and out of his breaks as he once was. He is still very good, but he relies more on precision and experience than raw athleticism. This should be the type of WR that Washington matches up the best against as he no longer has the athletic ability to hang with a guy like Parker.

Hammock Parties 10-26-2005 01:16 PM

Man up and put a double-team on Tomlinson and Gates. Not both on the same down, rotate the double team. I think we have the personnel on D to match up with SD, if DJ can effectively cover Gates that is.

Hammock Parties 10-26-2005 01:19 PM

Mmm, sorry guys. Warfield on Gates? No way. This is how I'd do it.

Surtain - McCardell
Warfield - Parker
DJ - Gates

Coogs 10-26-2005 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cormac
The way we'll beat the Chargers will be with our Offense, IMO. I agree with Hoover. We need to come out and RUN the ball and run it hard. We should approach the game the same way we did last season's Baltimore and Atlanta games, and last week's Miami game. Run the ball, control the clock, control the LOS and put together 12-14 play drives. If that happens we could win.....even if we don't get a stellar defensive performance. I'll be impressed if we hold SD to less than 24 points. I'm excited about the potential of our D, but we need to rely on a top-tier offensive performance to win this one.

JMO.

Yep!

Chiefnj 10-26-2005 02:46 PM

Brees folded against Denver when they attacked him in the second half. Have a spy on LT and attack Drew.

MOhillbilly 10-26-2005 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj
Brees folded against Denver when they attacked him in the second half. Have a spy on LT and attack Drew.

Whos gonna spy LT when he shucks and jives like he does.
Play team defense.

ferrarispider95 10-26-2005 03:11 PM

Revert to plan b
Have scanlon pick a fight with lt in pregame warmups

Come on guys do your homework

Oxford 10-26-2005 03:22 PM

Where is LT the most effective? Inside the tackles, sweeps, or
screens/draws? I don't think the Chiefs have to stop him, just limit him (essentially take away the 50 yard TD backbreaker). If he is most effective on the edge, the the 3-4 or 3-3-5 (extra safety/cb) is the way I'd go. If he is an inside runner, then 4-3 is the way. Brees alone will not do the job........

Tribal Warfare 10-26-2005 03:34 PM

I believe KC defense will do a very servicable job against the run. The issue I fear is the long passes over the middle to Gates where Wesley and Knight occupy, and the quick out and slant patterns that McCardell will run. To prevent any of the horrid possibilities that could go wrong. It'll starts and ends with the D-lines disicipline to the scheme, and of course making key plays to close Brees passing lanes and options are critical.

milkman 10-26-2005 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxford
Where is LT the most effective? Inside the tackles, sweeps, or
screens/draws? I don't think the Chiefs have to stop him, just limit him (essentially take away the 50 yard TD backbreaker). If he is most effective on the edge, the the 3-4 or 3-3-5 (extra safety/cb) is the way I'd go. If he is an inside runner, then 4-3 is the way. Brees alone will not do the job........

The problem you face in trying to contain LdT is that he has the power to run inside, and the speed to get around the edges.
Add the fact that he's elusive and you have the most complete RB in the NFL, and the reason that someone mentions the importance of staying disciplined within the scheme.

NJ Chief Fan 10-26-2005 04:16 PM

ok lets get serious now...lt2 was a no factor in the philly game...hes gonna get his yards this week...we dont have the personel to stop lt2 like the eagles did...as long as we shut down the passing game we have a chance, we have to get to brees early and often get into his head force him to make mistakes and more then likely he will fold

Oxford 10-27-2005 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJ Chief Fan
ok lets get serious now...lt2 was a no factor in the philly game...hes gonna get his yards this week...we dont have the personel to stop lt2 like the eagles did...as long as we shut down the passing game we have a chance, we have to get to brees early and often get into his head force him to make mistakes and more then likely he will fold

In other words, kill Brees which means that Rivers is the QB, then play 8 in the box (because they will have a limited passing game). It doesn't work because the Chiefs have always made emergency rookie QB's look like the second coming of Johhny Unitas. Using this scenario, we'll have to score 35 to win.

jspchief 10-27-2005 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gochiefs
Mmm, sorry guys. Warfield on Gates? No way. This is how I'd do it.

Surtain - McCardell
Warfield - Parker
DJ - Gates

Have you watched DJ in pass coverage this year? he's been pretty bad. Gates would humiliate him. I realize DJ was good in coverage in college, but he has been dismal for us so far. That's a bad match-up.

Mr. Laz 10-27-2005 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief
Have you watched DJ in pass coverage this year? he's been pretty bad. Gates would humiliate him. I realize DJ was good in coverage in college, but he has been dismal for us so far. That's a bad match-up.

yep...

that's why i say warfield on Gates

Gates - warfield
Surtain - parker
Washington - McCardell

washington has the experience and knowledge, he just lacks the speed. McCardell is similiar ... should be a decent matchup.

Simplex3 10-27-2005 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover
its not just Gates, its Gates and LT. Spying a a Saftie on Gates also would help with the run game. If Brees beats us by throwing to the WRs then the deserve to win. LT and Gates is their offense

Didn't McCardell have a 3 TD game earlier this year?