ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV HBO greenlights A Game of Thrones pilot! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=196570)

Red Brooklyn 06-17-2010 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankerskull (Post 6827363)
And I almost hesitate to call them "fantasy" novels. I think I'll take a cue from Reaper and make up a new genre for it: "Epic Geo-political Historical Fantasy"

I'm glad you added this because I was just about to ask what was so "fantasy" about the series! :D

Thanks. It actually sounds right up my alley. I'll check out the first book and see how it goes.

Buck 06-17-2010 12:01 PM

Quote:

And I almost hesitate to call them "fantasy" novels. I think I'll take a cue from Reaper and make up a new genre for it: "Epic Geo-political Historical Fantasy"

ROFL

ModSocks 06-17-2010 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 6827429)
ROFL

ROFL

Buck 06-20-2010 01:09 AM

Sweet. It only took me 2 hours but I found my book packed away in the garage. Already read the Prologue so I'm going to start at chapter one. Holler.

Red Brooklyn 06-20-2010 08:13 AM

Bought this yesterday. I have another book ahead of it in the line-up. But I should be on it by sometime next week.

I'm looking forward to this.

Huffmeister 06-20-2010 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 6832886)
Bought this yesterday. I have another book ahead of it in the line-up. But I should be on it by sometime next week.

I'm looking forward to this.

Be sure to let us know what you think.

I picked up House of Leaves this week, based on your and Buck's discussions. I'm only a few pages in, but it looks promising (and trippy as hell).

Bowser 06-20-2010 09:44 AM

I'm going to have to see if I can dig of this series on audiobook somewhere (easier with my job that way.....).

Red Brooklyn 06-21-2010 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankerskull (Post 6832928)

I picked up House of Leaves this week, based on your and Buck's discussions. I'm only a few pages in, but it looks promising (and trippy as hell).

Awesome. I hope you like it. Something about that book just scared the bajeezus outta me. Totally creepy.

I'll keep you posted, you keep me posted.

Reaper16 06-21-2010 09:47 AM

Quote:

I'm sold.

keg in kc 06-21-2010 10:39 AM

Quote:

Fantasy has enough sub-genres not to need any more. I believe that, technically, Ice and Fire is considered High Fantasy/Epic Fantasy, but personally I consider it to be Low Fantasy. The world may be entirely fictional, but the actual fantasy elements (i.e. magic) of the tale are very constrained, although they're definitely there. But it's much more rooted in what I would consider "reality" than something like the Wheel of Time.

Buck 06-21-2010 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankerskull (Post 6832928)

Yeah, I need to finish that one. First I am going to finish A Game of Thrones, then I'll finish that one.

Red Brooklyn 06-29-2010 02:08 PM

A'ite.

So I finally jumped into the pool. Just got started (finished the Prologue and 1st 'Bran' Chapter), only 25 pages in. So far I love the mood and the writing style. I'm excited to see where this thing goes.

And as a huge fan of LOST, I sort of love that they are referring to groups as The Others right now. Makes me smile.

Bowser 06-29-2010 02:11 PM

Damn, can't get this on CD from the library. Be much quicker for me to catch up on the story if I could listen to it while I'm at work.

keg in kc 06-29-2010 03:05 PM

Audible has it.

I picked up an account there a couple years back, and it's been worth every cent.

Now, I haven't actually listened to it (this is one I read in print...) so I don't know how good the narrator is, etc. But it's a great book.

TrickyNicky 06-29-2010 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 6849858)
Audible has it.

I picked up an account there a couple years back, and it's been worth every cent.

Now, I haven't actually listened to it (this is one I read in print...) so I don't know how good the narrator is, etc. But it's a great book.

The first three books are read by Roy Dotrice and he is amazing. He is also going to be Maester Aemon in the HBO series.

Oh, and there are other means of getting audiobooks online. Less scrupulous to be sure, but its out there.