ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers How hard is it to replace a fan for a laptop? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269205)

bowener 01-23-2013 12:35 AM

How hard is it to replace a fan for a laptop?

Very recently mine just started making a bad sound. It almost sounds like it is vibrating against something, so maybe I will get lucky and it just needs to be snapped back in place or something. However, if that is not the problem, how difficult is it usually to replace one?

Buck 01-23-2013 12:49 AM

If you youtube your laptop model with "replacing fan" someone has probably uploaded a video of how to take it apart. You can decide from there.

SLAG 01-23-2013 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 9343477)
Very recently mine just started making a bad sound. It almost sounds like it is vibrating against something, so maybe I will get lucky and it just needs to be snapped back in place or something. However, if that is not the problem, how difficult is it usually to replace one?

Have you taken a can of Air to it?

Fish 01-23-2013 01:21 AM

What model laptop? The fans are usually specific, but not that much money. Getting to the part will likely be a PIA though.... You'll likely have to take quite a bit apart to get to the fan. Just keep that in mind....

htismaqe 01-23-2013 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 9343538)
What model laptop? The fans are usually specific, but not that much money. Getting to the part will likely be a PIA though.... You'll likely have to take quite a bit apart to get to the fan. Just keep that in mind....

Yep. Major pain in the ass.

Predarat 01-23-2013 09:43 AM

Totally depends on the model, some you just open a drawer, take it out with a few screws, either clean or replace it and put it it back. Some models you pretty much have to take the damn thing apart and put it back together. As others have mentioned you may be able to clean and spray it with a can of air to fix it.

DaFace 01-23-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predarat (Post 9343904)
Totally depends on the model, some you just open a drawer, take it out with a few screws, either clean or replace it and put it it back. Some models you pretty much have to take the damn thing apart and put it back together. As others have mentioned you may be able to clean and spray it with a can of air to fix it.

Pretty much this. If the fan is right under a removable plate, it'll be easy. But a lot of those are buried deep in there and are a major PITA to get to. You'll pretty much need to either find a repair manual or just start taking pieces off to get a feel for how much work it's going to be.

bowener 01-23-2013 10:59 AM

Thanks. I think I am going to start this tonight. I will start off with canned air. I look forward to taking it apart though...